Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

Hello again, gang!

My trip to The Swannanoa Gathering has yielded another successful recording!

This one is a long-awaited rework of my popular 1990 tune Brownstone. Its a little darker, a little funkier than my normal sweeter mood. The song was originally inspired by a trip I made to New York over Christmas of 1989 to visit a dear friend (and brilliant guitarist) Bill Galanin. We took the train from Ossining into the city on a rainy morning to look around, and as we went through Harlem, I saw all the tenement buildings with people hanging around outside them; and the gloom that seems to emanate from the area. There was a palpable sense of anger and desperation, mixed with the love of family, people making the best of being dealt a bad hand. Anyway, it was inspiring

Once again, I have enlisted the services of the indescribably good Pete Huttlinger on guitars. Hes doing all 4 guitar parts this time, not just the solos. Pete has been an incredible inspiration for me, and he has an almost freakish ability to know exactly what Im looking for in the recording process. Many thanks to Pete for his great work!

Listen to this new song exclusively at Artistlaunch!

Phil Traynor on Artistlaunch

Thanks very much!!

Phil

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This song was originally done around 1980 when I got my first Minimoog-I

owned a Moog Sonic 6 at the time, but it had become unstable-like it's user,

and I was forced to buy a Minimoog for 'backup'.

This song was written exclusively for the mini and was first recorded using

multiple cassette players-dubbed back and forth countless times until the

amount of added noise was unbearable.

With this remake, no midi sequencing was used with the exception of a few

drum samples triggered by the DR-008.

The passing of Robert Moog had inspired me to re-record this song again.

http://www.sonicmusic.net/Sonic_Symphony.mp3

Cheers.

Poly

SONIC MUSIC

http://sonicmusic.net

Hey Vlad,

Niiiiice! I like how the opening riff develops. And I like that change around 1:20 or so to a lighter feel with the new chords. Is that you on the any of the guitars? Excellent playing and the synth solo really stands out. The mix is so good it sounds nice on my really crappy laptop speakers. :thu:

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

• 5 weeks later...

Soon as I get home I'll take a listen to some of the other songs up here, but since I'm (sort of) working, I'll just post mine up. This is my band's EP from about a year and a half ago. Keep in mind I've only been playing for about 3 years at that point, and not very seriously. The keyboard is a Roland JV-1000. I'm working hard on updating the keyboard lines for all of our old songs, and constantly changing and improving my sounds. So anyway, enough excuses, lol. Take a listen.

The Unwanted - Cursed Eternity

Tolerance Lost - Cursed Eternity

Please listen and critique. I have no other keyboardists to talk to, so I've just got guitar and bass player input, so anything you can say would be helpful I'm sure, lol.

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Alright, got through one page of listening. Most of you seem to be a good deal better than me, lol. I've got to say Keyman Sam, I love your stuff. Especially "The Samurai" and "King of Thebes". The orchestration is tasteful, and doesn't sound too cheeseball. That's my issue with a lot of keyboard only tracks, you can only do so much before it gets cheesy. Very nicely done!

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Dick Ward - My Me

Dick,

I enjoyed the two pieces. You choose sounds that don't get lost in the mix which is great (I love being able to hear keyboards especially in metal songs). Also the parts themselves add to the song and do something different from the guitar/bass which is also admirable. Keep up the good work; my thought is that you might want to explore creating some very distinct sounds for your band's pieces.

Ben

Thanks for the kind words Ben! Yeah, I personally can't stand when I see that a band has a keyboardist and he's just there to fill the music in. In some songs that may be appropriate, but if there's an oppurtunity for another melody line, why not go for it? As far as the sounds go, I definately agree, I could do better. Workin on it now actually, lol. Thanks again!

Dick Ward - My Me

OK - I'm in !

I would appreciate any and all feedback about the Song - especially that which is not biased by the love for, hatred of, or indifference about the Red Sox.

Also, I have a goal (maybe a wet dream, but hey - a guy's gotta aspire...) of getting this song recognized as an "official" rally song of the Red Sox. If anyone has any ideas or advice about how I might go about promoting the tune to the broadcast media, MLB, or whoever, I'd be grateful to here it.

My plans are to try to get the song played on local radio, and then approach NESN, ESPN, and even the Red Sox directly. Of course, I'll wait a bit and start my campaign to align with the '06 season.

Thanks in advance...

Song is at www.redsoxrock.com

Ted Chmura III - Composer

Music Song And Sound

www.MusicSongAndSound.com

Ludlow, MA

Haven't listened yet, since I'm at work, but if your sports station is anything like ours, I'm sure they'll play it. Just send a couple copies, one to each personality, maybe throw in some free crap (my band sends mini jager bottles to the rock DJ) and that should getcha some play!

I guess you just have to hope the sox do well, or your song prolly won't get heard:p

Dick Ward - My Me

• 1 month later...

So, I've finally managed to get a few tunes up :rolleyes: .

Pretend - my most recent effort. The bass needs cleaning up, and BVs need to be added:

http://s64.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=14KBS05KLS7GL3I1FN3GCV9Y64

Don't Want To Be Alone - this track isn't entirely complete; I still need to add extra instruments to it, as well as vocal ad-libs to the last couple of choruses:

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=103QMM5UJ98P50L4SUBLMJXONW

Monika's Song - this was written for my wife when she was still my girlfriend (you'll see what I mean if you give it a listen):

http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=19L2N1JBBM2YT3ME6X9C7ZN4SM

Please feel free to suggest any improvements I could make to the tunes ;) . Oh, and delete any gaps in the URL if necessary.

Originally posted by Dick Ward:

Alright, got through one page of listening. Most of you seem to be a good deal better than me, lol. I've got to say Keyman Sam, I love your stuff. Especially "The Samurai" and "King of Thebes". The orchestration is tasteful, and doesn't sound too cheeseball. That's my issue with a lot of keyboard only tracks, you can only do so much before it gets cheesy. Very nicely done!

Hey Dick!

If you can get your hands on any of the Keyboard Corner Compilation CD's you will hear just how good some of these cats are..

For instance, (strangely enough)I am right now listening to Volume 9 (just happens to be track 18, Dave Bryce's "Syzygy".)

Awesome stuff.

Regards.

-steve (West Bloomfield..)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Monika's Song - this was written for my wife when she was still my girlfriend (you'll see what I mean if you give it a listen):

Cliff,

Just had a chance to give a listen to this one. Nice piece!

I think it could benefit from a lite beat about half way through. A simple soft side-stick on the snare on the "2" and the "4" would help lock the beat against the Bass notes which esentially are whole notes on the "1".

The only other comment is that those faster piano riffs sound a little mechanical - maybe over quantized. Perhaps you could lower the percentage of quantization, or if you are having trouble nailing them at full tempo - slow it down, record the part, and bring it back up.

Again, nice work !

Ted Chmura III - Composer

Music Song And Sound

www.MusicSongAndSound.com

Ludlow, MA

Thanks a lot for the comments and suggestions, Ted :thu: . At one point I did consider recording 2 versions of the song: this one and a more 'commercial' mix, with drums and, I suppose, more frills. As to the piano riffs, I did in fact slow the track down slightly (no quantisation though), so maybe that accounts for the mechanical feel.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow - almost a month with no action here.

Here's my latest - a Nawlins-style slap at that crazy bitch Katrina, though the lyrics are as much Bayou as they are Big Easy.

Track isn't in final form yet - gotta unmuffle the back tracks, and fix the background vocals.

Thanks to my recordingproject.com buddies HevyD (rhythm guitar), Buddah (slide guitar), Hotz (trombone) and Steev (clarinet, harmonica, background vocals). I'm on lead and background vocs, sloppy piano, and general midi tuba. Drum loops courtesy of Spectrasonics' Katrina collection.

Any comments on the mix, get em in fast! I'll probably take one more stab at a fix before Christmas, then leave it as is.

Tempting to try to sell this one - I could so hear Paul Barrere singing this, with a nice little Bill Payne break in the middle...

Hey Katrina!

hit the listen or download button next to the song title. Can't deep link, sorry.

Any and all comments welcome - I'm a big boy, I can take it. ;)

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Thx for the listen, Phred...

I was really going for "busy". New Orleans march is more or less sonic gumbo - though someone from there could easily point out all the inauthentic things I did in there. ;)

Best,

Daf

Daf - A critic of this work should be followed up by a praise for another tune that you did...

"Beautiful still" (you posted it a while ago here) is such an amazing tune!!! I played it for my wife, and she said "why can't you write something like that for me??". The instrumentation in that is fantasic. Complex without being busy. The words are very real. It is such a romantic tune - but not fake and flowery. it is about a long term love, loving through faults, etc...

Keep up the good work...

(P.S. - my wife's name is Allison and she likes yoga, chick flicks and Jazz - just in case you were looking for another tune to write ;)

Peter

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Thx Phred - yeah, that's kind of my "greatest hit", LOL. Other than the piano, bass, and vox, mostly loop wrangling, BTW.

My late sister's name is Alison. So I don't think I could write one like that. Maybe tell her you wrote "My Aim is True" for her? Though I guess it's a long shot she doesn't already know it... ;)

Well, I never posted anything here, so here it goes:

http://rapidshare.de/files/9114503/Distant_Early_Warning.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/9117060/Subdivisions.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/9120197/The_Analog_Kid.mp3.html

For those who might not know them, these songs are Rush covers (we have this Rush Tribute Band). I hope it is OK to post covers. The recording was done in a friend's studio, with no edition whatsoever. The up side is that this is exactly how we sound live. The down side is that we just played our setlist, and as soon as someone made a mistake we would simply break it down, which means the recording of some songs ended up more like a snippet.

Please look at the bottom of the page for download instructions once you get to the website.

Let me know what you guys think of it.

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).