Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

Al, that was quite cool. Tell your trombone player that you know someone who studied and played with Frank Rehak for the final 15 years of his life.

Linwood, beautiful arranging, what hip voicings.

Thanks Doug. Sure I'll tell Ray Anderson that you studied with Frank Rehak. I suspect Frank and Ray knew each other as they're both famous in trombone circles. Ray's won the Downbeat award for best trombonist (I think more than once). He's an interesting guy and a pleasure to play with.

Nice playing as alway Al. The bass player was using different changes then what I'm used to doing on the first 4 bars there. I noticed a tad of hesitation at the start of your comp there toomaybe you were just giving it some space though. In any case really cool solo , especially with the chords as it developed, You really made the tune happen. The Bone player is quite a character. :laugh:

And I posted these older solo de-rangements on FB, but I'll torture everyone here again . :D

Let it snow

Yet anther We 3 Kings

Beautiful Dave! You're harmonic sense is awesome and I really like the balance between the melody and the various other voices in your performance.

On the video I posted you're right about the hesitation initially with my comp. I hesitated because I wasn't sure where the bass player was going. This was the first and only time we played this song together. I suspect if I asked him he would say those aren't the changes he usually plays on the first four bars either. They certainly weren't the changes in the book we had in front of us. What he did -- and I like it a lot -- is he took the vamp started by the trombone player and worked it into the arrangement. I wasn't quite expecting that and didn't know how far he was going to take it so I had to either stay out of the way or find a way to compliment what he was doing. Once it was clear to me what was going on I was able to create something that fit with what he was doing. It ended up being an interesting arrangement. One that I hadn't heard before or since.

That is beautiful, Theo! Reminds me of something you can listen to while sitting by the fire, looking out your picture window at night, the snow gently falling and creating sparkly twinkles in the snow.

My Nikon Cool Pix can only record for eight minutes and 14 seconds before it stops and you have to wait for it to "digest" what it just recorded and then you can start it again.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Played a little pick-up modern jazz/fusion gig last night with some pals. Sax player is in from Toronto, I don't play regularly with any of the other guys. Very fun, different gig with a couple pretty hard tunes. Course, the only video I've seen is of the one tune I didn't rehearse with them. :P

Facebook link (just add me if you can't see it)

The 20 lb.(total) B-3 Killer

Nah, not really, but I was wondering what my refaces (YC and CS) would sound like on a battery only gig (no 110V juice), so I dragged out my Roland Cube Street, plugged 'em in, and was pleasantly surprised. No audio processing or eq, just the Cube sound being picked up by a Zoom Q3HD suspended overhead. Here's the result:

[video:youtube]

Enjoy or Destroy

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Linda,

You're way too kind. Many thanks.

I've gotta admit, this rig cranks way out of proportion to it's size, and even fat-fingered-me can get around on these keys without too many clams......

JK

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Dave,

Thanks for the kind words. If my gnarly, arthritic fingers can make these work, imagine how a younger dude can sound! For mini keys they are very playable. I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Yamaha hit a home run with this line.

Jake

"It needs a Hammond"

I would have loved to find the entire line of refaces under my tree this year, but not being able to afford them, I hinted (very loudly and very frequently) at the MicroKORG. I am also not having any trouble adjusting from full size to mini keys.

:)

Your first one ever? Pretty good for your first!

Just my two and a half cents, but if your vocal track had just a bit more amplification and perhaps a touch chorus on it to bring it out to be richer.

You do have that Bruce Springsteen feel yet you are still uniquely you.

:thu:

your two and a half are much appreciated. I'd take even more if ya got em, really. Being my first ever track singing, it was also my first vocal track I've ever mixed. Also the first time I'd ever recorded an acoustic instrument (banjo, which it happened to be my second day owning/playing) or used a mic (SM57) at all. It was also day one with a new interface. This one falls into this realm:

http://i.imgur.com/AfgkjCf.jpg