Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tsunami song 2 - General discussion

Hi, I have cleaned up the lead vocal track and recorded a backing track to sync with it so whoever ends up mixing will need to download both of these to sync up. great stuff :thu:

FIL www.filjones.co.uk

I know you think you know what you thought I said, but what you think you thought I said isn't what I ment!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by offramp:

...see, delegation is KEY, here...we can ALWAYS say "Well, I gave that job to Dave...."

TOO MANY DAVES

By Dr. Seuss

Did I ever tell you that Mrs. McCave

Had twenty-three sons and she named them all Dave?

Well, she did. And that wasn't a smart thing to do.

You see, when she wants one and calls out, "Yoo-Hoo!

Come into the house, Dave!" she doesn't get ONE.

All twenty-three Daves of hers come on the run!

This makes things quite difficult at the McCaves'

As you can imagine, with so many Daves.

And often she wishes that, when they were born,

She had named one of them Bodkin Van Horn

And one of them Hoos-Foos. And one of them Snimm.

And one of them Hot-Shot. And one Sunny Jim.

And one of them Shadrack. And one of them Blinkey.

And one of them Stuffy. And one of them Stinkey.

Another one Putt-Putt. Another one Moon Face.

Another one Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face.

And one of them Ziggy. And one Soggy Muff.

One Buffalo Bill. And one Biffalo Buff.

And one of them Sneepy. And one Weepy Weed.

And one Paris Garters. And one Harris Tweed.

And one of them Sir Michael Carmichael Zutt

And one of them Oliver Boliver Butt

And one of them Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate...

But she didn't do it. And now it's too late.

Originally posted by FIL-3:

Hi, I have cleaned up the lead vocal track and recorded a backing track to sync with it so whoever ends up mixing will need to download both of these to sync up. http://www.btinternet.com/~harrisonjones/Leadvox.shn

great stuff :thu:

Awesome! I've gone back and attempted to croak out a backup vocal, but I have a feeling your's is probably better. I will pull these down and try to get an interim mix out either tonight or tommmorrow morning...

Thx!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Hey Folks!

Here's interim mix #3:

http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/Rebuild_SampleMix3.mp3

This reflects the latest lead vocal and two backup vocals (Fil on the right, me on the left).

Paul, I got your guitar tracks but I'm still having difficulty getting things to line up correctly. I trimmed 9 measures + 27 milliseconds off the beginning of your tracks. It starts when I'd expect, but then it seems a few measures too short...starts the chorus riff before the chorus starts. Did you intend for there to not be a guitar part over the first one or two measures of the beginning? (I'm thinking you probably didn't.)

OK, it's about 3am here...I'm hitting the hay, so to speak...

L8r,

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Ok thats good, I have a couple of comments. The two vocal tracks that I have posted, should line up but I noticed times when on listening they seemed to be out of sync with each other.. I'll go back and have a look at my recordings. The other thing is that I noticed that only part of the the backing harmonys are used...Which is fine.... but do you have any thoughts on those bits you have not used..I could try something different.

Cheers

:)

FIL www.filjones.co.uk

I know you think you know what you thought I said, but what you think you thought I said isn't what I ment!

Hey Fil:

On the backing harmony over the verse...here's why I left that out. Your voice has a very soulful sound on the verse (IMO)...I think having the harmony there actually distracts from your voice and the lyrics. That is, however, merely my opinion. (I'm really trying to listen to this song as a music fan rather than as a musician...not sure if I'm accomplishing that goal though... :freak: ). I'll try to do a sample mix this morning that has the harmony part on the verse and post that as well. Let's see what others think...

Btw, I like the slight variations in rhythm between the lead and backups ...I think it makes it sound more like the backups were done by a bunch of folks...just MHO though...

Regards,

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

Hey Folks!

Here's interim mix #3:

http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/Rebuild_SampleMix3.mp3

This reflects the latest lead vocal and two backup vocals (Fil on the right, me on the left).

Paul, I got your guitar tracks but I'm still having difficulty getting things to line up correctly. I trimmed 9 measures + 27 milliseconds off the beginning of your tracks. It starts when I'd expect, but then it seems a few measures too short...starts the chorus riff before the chorus starts. Did you intend for there to not be a guitar part over the first one or two measures of the beginning? (I'm thinking you probably didn't.)

OK, it's about 3am here...I'm hitting the hay, so to speak...

L8r,

Dave

Dave, take a listen to the rough mix I sent along for the placement of the tracks. The rhythm track comes in 6 beats before the vocal, 3 measures into the bass line.

Sorry about the feedback intro BTW. I was just screwing around. :)

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

Sorry about the feedback intro BTW. I was just screwing around. :)
"I make no apologies for the wah pedal in this version."

--Sting, in the track description of Demolition Man, from the 'Bring On The Night' album.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Hey folks:

I've got to think about packing for trip tommorrow morning. I'm going to package up the tracks that I've accumulated and get them to Chris Kemp, who'll do the mixing and mastering.

I won't have access to my musical gear or these tracks next week, but I will have access to the web, so feel free to PM me or email me if you need to.

Thx,

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Chris:

Check your PM's...I've sent you my tracks via YouSendIt.com.

Everyone else:

Here's the last sample mix I'll be able to do...this one has some additional backup vocals.

http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/Rebuild_SampleMix3a.mp3

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Last speculative date I remember was by next weekend. We are still looking for some tracks, I believe - nursers? Keys?

I just checked my PMs, and I have several tracks waiting for me that I didn' have. Still no keys, though.

Unfortunately for me, I got stuck at work on Friday - my off day - and ended up working all night, which also screwed up Saturday because I slept a lot of it away.

So I think next weekend is probably it. I don't want to rush things to the point where we post a crappy track. To quote a semi-famous software company, "The next release will be when it's ready". :)

Archived