Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tsunami song 2 - General discussion

Hey Guys,

Man! You guys really stepped up fast! The page is beautiful, and I'm looking forward to hearing the tune!

I wasn't able to jump in myself - I have been recovering from an illness, and have 'had my legs back' for about a week now - but I'm wondering (& hoping, I must say) that folks might be up for some more music? It's a great cause, & it couldn't hurt to have more 'product' to generate funds.

Whaddya say? :)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in...I can contribute bass, drums, and percussion. I have a music idea (no lyrics) that I'll post also. I have to get it on disk, which will be this afternoon.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Tedster:

I'm taking a break on this next one, guys ;) Have fun!!!

Tedster - replenish thyself! But that was definitely energy well spent from my standpoint :wave:

I'm in as soon as I tune up the equipment - no sense in offering till I do that!

Originally posted by kylen:

Originally posted by WOW:

I'll try again and maybe I'll make the cut this time. ;)

I'll bet Bunny could make a remix special of outtakes at the end...
Yeah, I was thinking maybe someone would do a re-mix.
I really don't know what to put here.

Myself, I was wondering about the availability of a non-mp3 version. I know if there's a CD produced, it won't be an mp3, but I can't help but feel that the mp3 conversion has sucked a little too much of the effort the guys put into it.

Thinking out loud, here...a better quality version for a larger donation, perhaps?

Again, thinking out loud.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Thats not a bad idea..

Just out of interest when I was trying to do the BKV I only had an mp3, whenever I decompressed mp3's in Sonar they go completely out of time.. what did you guys do? I had to try and lay a 134 bmp drum track over it.. but it didn't really work, made them very loose.

FIL www.filjones.co.uk

I know you think you know what you thought I said, but what you think you thought I said isn't what I ment!

Hello and allow me to introduce myself! I usually lurk in the Lowdown. I see some familiar faces here and some new ones. I am very impressed with the tsunami song effort and I regret I didn't know of it until now. I caught a quick blurb in another forum so I came over to see what the hub-bub was a bubbin' about.

I play electric bass and some keyboards, and I sing. I would like to contribute in any way I can. However, I'm not sure how, as I don't have recording software...but I know someone who does who can also collaborate.

Right now I can help with some lyrics or ideas as far as direction, meaning...or I'll play melodies or something and record it with my digital 'corder and email it to you guys...

I would like to get into something like, hey email me this I'll download it into cakewalk and put my thing over it then email that to another guy and etc etc...is that how it works?

I need to get with the program...I'm a total analog ancient type dude and I'm only 28? What gives? :freak:

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Originally posted by FIL-3:

Thats not a bad idea..

Just out of interest when I was trying to do the BKV I only had an mp3, whenever I decompressed mp3's in Sonar they go completely out of time.. what did you guys do? I had to try and lay a 134 bmp drum track over it.. but it didn't really work, made them very loose.

Because of Ted's drum machine being a little off, we had the BPM set to 133.78. 134 will be slightly off.
I really don't know what to put here.

Yeah, there ended up being a fairly high amount of work put into just getting things lined and sync'ed up, and that definitely was one of the reasons some parts were left on the cutting room floor - we could have used more stuff if we'd have had the time to do more editing work, but the deadline just didn't allow for that :( ... starting from a grid and a click track reference that would line up for everyone would be the way to go for future collabs IMO.

Again, my apologies to everyone who submitted parts / tracks that didn't get used. ALL of your contributions were definitely appreciated! :thu:

Ok, guys I've posted some music (bass, drums, guitar)...no lyric ideas yet. This is a simple chord progression, good groove. Let me know if you think this might be useable.

I'm not a guitarist (bassist and drummer) so please excuse the sloppy guitar playing. (Actually, please excuse the sloppy drumming also...I was in a hurry to get something down so I could post it...)

http:/www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/NewSongIdea01.mp3

Let me know what ya think...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Dave, that's pretty cool - make a nice instrumental if no lyrics spring forth. I could throw down some guitar tracks with that - can you do a version with just bass & drums? I can set up something on my end for sending tracks back & forth tomorrow.

This is where being at home for the holidays was a killer for me.... I click on anything you guys post up and in 20 to 30 minutes it pops up and plays!

No firkin' bandwidth at home :mad:

This has a groove and inspires a completely different thought. Way post traumatic, positive, rebuild kind of togetherness...

It works as a strong chorus for me and can trail away high and into some riffs.

REM

I gotta think about how it gets there and build through to placement and context for it to work. Need a drink to think.. I'll check in in the morning if anything comes to mind.

Verse 1:

When a world's undone

Your tired eyes cut through the pain toward a new tomorrow

Inside our strength fueled by the loss and the grip of sorrow

That seeds our heart

We must make a start

Right now here with you

I will make it true

For a world you've had and shall surely have once more

Chorus:

I'll help you up my friend

There's no way I'll stand by and not dig in

When you call I'm by your side

Together we'll work to rebuild a world for you

Verse 2:

A new beginning's come

Where your dreams take shape on a ???????? foundation

THrough the will and power of our true united nations (don't know about that reference)

Home is more than place

Strength is more than ???????

Hands are here for you

Lifting for the new

As a dawn breaks forth and we face the world together

work out...

good night.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Truth revealed:

Heeeeeere's Johnny is actually, um...some guy.

http://homepage.mac.com/echohaus/.Pictures/avatar.jpg

offramp, fighting Photoshop with Photoshop since 1999. :D

psst: make your avatar about this big, okay? thanks!

:D

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

I'm liking your lyrical idea. Keep it coming! I agree, the spirit of the song is definitely rebuilding, not mourning.

So, I gather there's some interest in this tune. I'll create a reference track with click on the left and bass and guitar on the right? (Or just guitar on the right? Actually, I can create one of each I guess...)

I'll try to post it within the hour....

Here's a chord chart for it:

Verse:

Emaj/Eaug, Dmaj/Daug, Amaj/Aaug, Daug/Dmaj

repeat

Chorus:

E+5th ("power chord"), Emaj, Eaug

Amaj/Aaug

Or at least this is the chord chart for what I did. You can change it as long as it keeps the spirit of the song consistent!

In terms of arrangement, here's what I'm thinking:

Since we're starting with a good groove, let's make this tune a jammer. 3 verses, 3 choruses. All choruses have vocals with backups as well, first 2 verses have a vocal, 3rd verse is instrumental only. Each verse is 16 measures, so perhaps an 8 measure guitar solo (or a 4 measure guitar solo and a 4 measure keyboard solo) with bass and drums underneath, then a 4 measure rhythmic bass solo leading in to a 4 measure percussion solo. Perhaps keep the percussion going on the final chorus...let's see how that sounds.

I can provide the bass guitar tracks, probably 4 percussion tracks (djembe, bonbo's, and high-pitched latin percussion, like mini-cowbell, etc.) I can provide the drumkit tracks, but I'm using an electronic kit and I'd really rather someone with an acoustic kit record the drum tracks if possible. We've already got a suggestion for a vocalist, which sounds great. I don't claim to be a guitarist, so I'd like to take Chris up on his offer for guitar tracks.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived