Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tsunami song 2 - General discussion

Hi ok have a listen to that and see what you think..Iv'e been a bit creative with the lyrics shoes..hope you don't mind, and Ive stuck a drum beat behind this just for context( now with added bass solo.)don't panic guitarists.its only for fun :D

http://www.btinternet.com/~harrisonjones/song2.mp3

FIL www.filjones.co.uk

I know you think you know what you thought I said, but what you think you thought I said isn't what I ment!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fil,

It's startling how close you and I are on the drum track.

Your take on it also gave me an idea for a B section. I'm eating at the moment, and need to think on it some more, but I believe it would be right up the alley on this one.

If you and Dave come to agreement on the structure, I'll do drums.

Think Copeland with a smattering of Gould restraint.

Dave (offramp)

(I'm sensing an inevitable collaboration between no-one but the "Dave"s of this forum...)

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by offramp:

Fil,

It's startling how close you and I are on the drum track.

Your take on it also gave me an idea for a B section. I'm eating at the moment, and need to think on it some more, but I believe it would be right up the alley on this one.

If you and Dave come to agreement on the structure, I'll do drums.

Think Copeland with a smattering of Gould restraint.

Dave (offramp)

(I'm sensing an inevitable collaboration between no-one but the "Dave"s of this forum...)

:D

Originally posted by FIL-3:

Hi ok have a listen to that and see what you think..Iv'e been a bit creative with the lyrics shoes..hope you don't mind, and Ive stuck a drum beat behind this just for context( now with added bass solo.)don't panic guitarists.its only for fun :D

http://www.btinternet.com/~harrisonjones/song2.mp3

Fil:

I'm liking the vocals dude...that's killer. Does anything need to change in the tentative arrangment? (I don't think it does, but not positive.)

Nice bass solo also...I couldn't help but slap this part too, although mine's a little more like what I have in mind for the percussion solo (the bass solo is the start of the percussion solo, essentially).

If the arrangement doesn't need to be any different, can you provide a track that syncs up with the reference track?

Thx,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Thanks, Dave. yeah I can post a shortened file to match your click track no problem..let me know what you think of the lyrics I used...any good. I couldn't get all of them to fit...without rushing them.

FIL www.filjones.co.uk

I know you think you know what you thought I said, but what you think you thought I said isn't what I ment!

Hey Fil:

I'm not sure we need a 3rd verse...there's instrumental stuff going on over that section. A third chorus we do need, however. I think it would be cool to use the same lyrics, but maybe sing them just a little different in the 3rd chorus. OR, maybe use slightly different lyrics sung the same way in the 3rd chorus???

I'm thinking the percussion solo sounds a little rushed toward the end...I'll have to look at re-recording that part. Also, all the low end disappears after the bass solo...I may have to lug my 26" kick drum from the attic to fill in that space! LOL!

Cool beans...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Here's an idea for that third chorus:

Us guitar guys could play some short solos that take off from the melody in one line phrases, and then set up a call-and-response with the vocal through mixing.

That way you can incorporate maybe 4-5 guitars, and you only need half as many lyrics (!)

OK here is the shortened vocal wav file, sorry for the delay been busy, this I have repeated the chorus and then gone for the sort of ad lib thing using some of shoes spare lyrics...I think it works..

http://www.btinternet.com/~harrisonjones/song2_full_vocal.shn

FIL www.filjones.co.uk

Originally posted by FIL-3:

Just to add, that the adlib can be edited to allow space for whatever else you guys have in mind, if you want.. :)

right, I'm going to hit the sack :freak:

I'm in No-Band-Width-Land again so I'll have to wait until work to hear what you've got down. I thought there were lots of odd moments in there were a tallented vocalist would exercise their adlib abilities :thu: and come out on top of something the solo's can really cut away from.

Glad it was of some use no matter what you do to fix it. :thu:

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

By the way folks, if I've neglected to acknowledge anyone who has said "I can contribute", I apologize. Not intentional, chalk it up to me being somewhat scatter-brained.

So, here's what I probably should have posted much earlier: the "virtual team" for song #2

Me - music composition, arrangement, bass, percussion, backup vocals, interim test mixes

Shoes - lyric composition

FIL - lyric composition and lead vocal

Chris Kemp - guitar, final mixing/mastering

PBBPaul - guitar

Offramp - drums and percussion

Nursers - keyboards

Rhonda Sisk - backup vocals

If I've missed anyone, please don't be offended...just PM me and tell me I'm slack and what I should add to this post.

Thx!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

...a few more "Dave"s on a track, and we will RULE!!! RULE, I TELL YOU!!!

Man, I don't want to rule...that's entirely too much responsibility! :freak:;):thu:

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

NOnononono...see, delegation is KEY, here...we can ALWAYS say "Well, I gave that job to Dave...."

I used to work in the school cafeteria at Berklee, and there was another kid working there named "Charles Hunter Prendergast, IV" (I'm not making that up) He usually went by Hunter, but some folks called him Charles.

Anyway, at the start of the shift, the manager would dole out assignments to us scrubs and one day went like this:

Charles - you do the serving line

Bill - peel potatoes

Hunter - stock the plate racks

Dave - dishroom

Prendergast - we need you to do salads

:freak::D

Archived