Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tsunami song 2 - General discussion

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK folks, I have a reference track posted to www.ipass.net/davesisk/music. It's called Rebuild_ClickAndBass.mp3 (or .shn, the shortened wav file, you can use either). This is click on left channel, bass on right channel only. The tempo is 115 bpm. I had to re-record because of a silly oversight on my part.

If you want to get an idea of what the whole thing sounds like in my mind's ear, check Rebuild_Sample.mp3. This is the old arrangement however.

More notes on arrangement:

The reference track reflects room for this arrangment:

Verse (vocal)

Chorus (vocal)

Verse (vocal)

Chorus (vocal)

Verse (guitar/key solo, bass/percussion solo)

Chorus

Chorus (guitar solo maybe?)

One extra pass of chorus (for fade out)

On the bass/percussion solo, there are two passes of click only...that's not the end of the song, there'll be a bass solo that fades into a percussion solo.

So, any tracks you record and create, please send them as stereo WAV files (compressed using the Shorten utility) with the click on the left and your part on the right. I'd like to collect all the tracks here, and hopefully engage someone else to actually do the mixing and mastering.

I've got to head in to work, so I won't have access to any tracks, but I can still read this board or check email at davesisk at ipass.net, so feel free to email me.

Thanks folks! I'm excited about this...I'm thinking it should come out pretty cool! Email me or post with questions.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Once again I'm showing up late :(

Sounds like you have everything covered, but if even more guitars (plugged or un) are required, just yell! Otherwise, I'll keep an eye on the thread and be ready for track 3 and beyond....!

Never done this kind of thing before, but I have some recording bits and software so I should theoretically be able to help.

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Phil, Fil, or Shars or whomever:

If you can e-mail me a sample of Fil's vocals, I'd really appreciate it, whether it's the track he submitted for the first song, or something else.

thanks. :)

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

It's Base! You and A String have been on separate vacations together.

I'll keep tossing edits to my initial thoughts above so feel free to trash, edit, bomb or otherwise disregard them at will.

I keep getting interrupted by managers and supervisors so this is proving to be difficult to accomplish at work :freak:

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by Guitars are like shoes. But louder.:

It's Base! You and A String have been on separate vacations together.

LOL, sorry, no PC over the Christmas period! Have you guys ever been busy tho :eek:

Am impressed to bits with the effort tho (haven't heard the song yet but will recitify that this evening) and will be happy to do anything I can to assist :thu:

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Hey Shoes:

Those lyrics are really grabbing me, if you follow what I'm saying. Very nice work...I can't wait to hear the vocal melody over the instruments.

All guitarists:

Great on the guitar tracks, folks. I put down those guitar tracks clean just so it would be a little easier to pick out the chords. You can put some crunch into it if you want. In fact, I think it would be very cool from a contrast-building perspective to perhaps do the first verse with a clean guitar sound, then distortion on the 1st chorus through the rest of the song (nothing too evil sounding...a very harmonically rich distortion would probably work well for the spirit of this tune...just MHO...) It's pretty much all major and augmented chords. (I'm not a guitarist, so I won't promise the chord chart is technically correct. If it's not and someone corrects it and emails it to me, I'll be happy to update that particular post with the correct chord chart.)

I could hear some keys on this guy...anyone up for that?

I'll try to re-record the drum kit part tonight. I'm hoping someone will pop up who's got the capability to play and record acoustic drums, but we can run with live electronic drums for now I think.

Thx! You folks are awesome!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Hi ..wow the BB been down this end..OK have got daves click/bass track and the lyrics what else is available..talk to me msn fil_jones at btopenworld.com

FIL www.filjones.co.uk

I know you think you know what you thought I said, but what you think you thought I said isn't what I ment!

Fil:

Download the Rebuild_Sample.mp3 and give it a listen...this is what my "mind's ear" hears in terms of almost full instrumentation. (Don't record anything using that track though...it's tempo may be different, I don't recall for sure.)As I get parts from folks, I'll create a new sample mix and post it, so I guess you should figure out the melody that would tie the lyrics and the chord progression together, and get an idea of how you'd sing it? I dunno...never done this before, so it's a great learning experience for me as well as everyone else I guess!

Shoes, do you have any guidance on the vocal melody you had in mind? (Or did you have one in mind?)

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Well this is the thing I am formulating a melody around the bass line..which is what i'm used to ..being a bass player...but if shoes has one in mind I'm all ears :thu:

FIL www.filjones.co.uk

I know you think you know what you thought I said, but what you think you thought I said isn't what I ment!

Just as FYI, this song is intended to be a donation to go on the FaceOfFriendship.org web-site. I want to make sure everyone knows that just in case there's any question about it's purpose!

Thx,

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by FIL-3:

Well this is the thing I am formulating a melody around the bass line..which is what i'm used to ..being a bass player...but if shoes has one in mind I'm all ears :thu:

Hey Fil:

If that's what you're used to, then go with it...you're going to be singing it, so it has to fit the approach that you do best, IMHO.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Tedster:

I'm taking a break on this next one, guys ;) Have fun!!!

Me too, I've gotta get my DAW up and running again. Plus I'm real busy with my day job.

but I'll definately be in on future tsunami relief collabs. :cool:

0096 2251 2110 8105

Hey folks:

I'd like to collect all the tracks as they come in, but I don't have the skill nor the equipment to do a mix/master that will do this song justice. Does anyone have those skills, gear, and willing to volunteer? If you know anyone on MusicPlayer who might be willing to help but hasn't seen this thread yet, shoot 'em a PM please! Worst case, I can give it my best shoot, but I'd rather have an expert doing it.

I'm going to be out of town next week (Sun - Sat), and I don't want create a stall while I'm gone. I'm hoping we'll actually have all the tracks done by then and maybe a sample mix. At that point, I'm hoping to hand the tracks to someone truly talented at the mix/mastering end. I can hand those tracks over by Sat nite at the latest, otherwise it'll have to wait until I get back...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by FoxTick:

Originally posted by Tedster:

I'm taking a break on this next one, guys ;) Have fun!!!

Me too, I've gotta get my DAW up and running again. Plus I'm real busy with my day job.

but I'll definately be in on future tsunami relief collabs. :cool:

I started that by listening to the track Newsongidea01.mp3 as posted but flipped what I assumed to be the chorus for the verse because it seemed to lend itself more to the thoughts I needed to express. The bass lines were a good fit for this in my head.

As mentioned... pull it apart of do whatever you feel appropriate because I tend to write to what ever I hear and can pretty much flip it to suite what's constructed.

I have rather limited ability to put down tracks at home and no bandwidth until I get back to work the next day. So you're in the driver seat, I'll just crank out ideas.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by nursers:

Hey folks,

I would be happy to do some keys - when the click track etc is sorted am more than happy to submit something :thu:

You should be good to use the Rebuild_ClickAndBass.mp3 track, unless you want to wait and see what the guitar tracks sound like...

Thx!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Folks, I have copies of all the submissions from the last song, including Fil's BGV tracks, but I don't know how useful they would be to anyone - after all, you're doing a completely new track. :)

I too, will probably have to sit this one out, since I'm swamped with work at the moment, and the last collab put me even further behind than I already was, and new stuff just keeps coming in. I'm not complaining though. :)

Hopefully I'll be able to pitch in and help with future projects. Best of luck to everyone for song #2... it's certainly a worthwhile endeavour for a very worthy cause. :thu:

Well i've only been out of touch for two days and already i'm lost! :D

Christopher, Dave, and of course nursers and shars.. if i can be called upon for any further help, or further contribution (i can record better quality classical now and am reasonably handy with acoustic picking, but there are prob loads of people here better on the old electric than me who are up to the task [unless your doing blues :D ]) i'd be happy to help any way i can.

I am at work now again for the new year, so won'tbe putting in the hours i could for 'tears we share' (highly enjoyable hours the were too, but damn those time zones :D )

I will be reading up every night though guys.. a beast has been unleashed on these here pages, and the leadtorch will be passed , cd after cd. I know it.

I second the motion of sustained hard deadlines. Maintianing interest on the fof site will help our steady flow of donations!

WELL SOLDIERS, ARE YOU UP TO IT? :)

I'd say one song per week is ideal in terms of keeping visitors coming (and returning). Short enough to be fresh on their minds, but long enough that all the volunteers don't have to beat themselves to death.

Note that there's no reason this has to be single-threaded. While the current group of people are working on song #2, there's no reason that the next idea hampster ( :D ) can't start on song #3, and start coordinating contributors for that one. I've posted info about the FOF site and this collab forum on a local music forum (raleighmusic.com) and a digital recording forum, so hopefully we'll be getting some new contributors as well. I don't think there's a shortage of ideas or talent...it's the "making it happen" part that's difficult... ;)

I'd say within a month, I'd expect to have maybe 10 tunes on the site, given that a reasonable momentum continues and we spawn a couple of parallel threads. :thu:

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived