Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Collaboration Offer- Boot Kickin Country

I'm looking to put some tunes together that will go NOTHING BUT kick butt country. Definitely chew em up, spit em out type songs. Anyone interested, let me know. Definitely needs a thumpin bass and a squawling guitar!!!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll step up to the plate. :wave: My Telecaster, Magnatone MP-1, and brownface Princeton are at your service. :) I'm also working on a lap steel guitar, which might be a nice addition once I'm finished building it.

I don't have the MP-1 or Princeton with me, so it might have to be something I do on the weekends with those amps, but I've got a Peavey amp here that'll get a good country tone with reverb that I could work up a few tracks with.

What style of country are you thinking about? You'll be doing the singing, right? I'm mainly versed in blues and rock guitar, but I can throw together some country licks when needed. ;)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Bluestrat,

I have a file up with just a rough melody vocal track of the song. I've not even set it to a rhythm track... just lyrics and the melody. Another person has expressed an interest in bass through PM's, if he's still interested. I'll PM the link to the mp3 along with lyrics to those interested in participating. If I need to lay down a rhythm track to get this project off of the ground, I'll do so, but if there are any foundation builders that are capable of stepping up to the mound and creating from a mere vocal track.... I WELCOME THEM GRACIOUSLY. DanS did a fantastic job in rebuilding a simple basic music track that I created with Howls at the Moon, while applying his enhanced composition skills ... Don't know if he likes country though :D

Mike, I've already got the lyrics written on several tunes... Do you play any instruments? Also, I'm game for collaborating on lyrics outside of this project; but in this case, the lyrics have already been written.

Thanks for the interest guys.

I'm sorry John, but I had to laugh my butt off on the finishing line where the "Gall Dang, those things are hitting the ground" came in. :D:D:D Entertaining, to say the least. Do you lay any foundation tracks, such as the basic rhythm tracks, or do you concentrate more on the overtones and mix/mastering?

I have a raw vocal track with the lyrics and melody if you are interested in hearing the song in it's birthing stages. ROUGH!!! I'll send you a PM with the link and lyrics.

Mike Gug, if there's any other way than lyrically you feel you could contribute; I'm not trying to exclude you... let me know what you might have to offer up.

Bluestrat and Ibscotty are in and I'll be messing around with some rhythm tracks later tonight or tomorrow hopefully... UNLESS someone else wants to jump on it. :D

Two friends and I did everything on that. I played bass (not my primary instrument) and played the part of Cooter. I can definitely fit the bill for you on just about any part so let's see what happens. As always, I can provide hosting on my T-3 for the wave files. No FTP required.

John

EDIT: What I meant to say is that I have worked on many similar projects. My friends and I take different stances on each project. One time I might record the basic rhythms and engineer, others I might just do a few overdubs and provide creative input.

In that case, I played a really basic bassline in fifths, and said "Yup" and "Goldang!"

-----------

John\'s Songs

Hi guys,

Just so that you guys know where I'm at with this, I wanted to let you know so that you don't think I'm dragging my feet.

Here is a portion/revised of copy of some of the text that I sent to JLampson relative to the situation I'm in:

All of this snow and ice that Kansas City has been getting over the last few days has absolutely been overwhelming for me. I have an acre land with my home and over half of the acre is front yard with my "DRIVEWAY" going uphill. I'm having to shovel the drive, go on scavenger hunts in K.C. for rock salt because Kansas City is never prepared for winter storms such as the ones we've had recently, and other things to maintain in this winter weather that we're not used to up here.

I'm going to post something on CC to alert the others as to my backset so that they do not lose interest, and rather, maybe postpone the project unless you or someone else wants to deliver a rhythm track.

Until this weather eases up some, both in drive time getting to and fro, and also in having to maintain my property; I'm "SNOWBLIND" :D I'm too tired right now to concentrate on music tracks, and in knowing that I'm having to leave better than an hour early for work, I won't feel comfortable staying up to wee hours of the morning to get a track down and then driving in inclimate weather conditions; I need to be fully alert.

I was hoping to work on this tonight but spent better than 3 1/2 hours messing with roads and weather coming home tonight. The past few nights have been spent in preparing for this K.C. monster weather.

Hope you guys understand, because I like to really be on top of a project once I start it so that people do not lose interest.

Thanks for understanding, and maybe someone else will come up with the rhythm tracks. I can PM the link to the vocal track if anyone still needs it. If we don't have a rhythm track by the time this weather eases up enough to where I'm not spending extra hours on the road, and shoveling snow or chasing down Ice Melt or rock salt; then I'll lay down the rhythm. Sorry for the delays....

BTW, for those of you that may wonder about the long posts... while being strapped for time... I type about 70wpm and can do that while my children don't decide to jump in. On my music, when I start to play any of my instruments; my kids join in. :D It's hard NOT to let them play... as it is my life's desire to see them get completely involved in music. It's just hard to work on a recording or sound out a metered rhythm track with kids pounding on keys or strings in the background. :D

I usually take advantage of their days with their dad for visitation; but he doesn't pick them up during snow.

Message recieved! :D

I'm still tinkering, trying different drum machine rythyms to try and get a rough backing track. Once I get something going along those lines I can add some guitar and bass, maybe keys? I'm getting closer to getting that lap steel finished too.

If someone else has any ideas as to a drum track, I'd like to hear it. :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

I could jump in & set up drum tracks. I also play bass so I could do that, but somebody might be better than me. If you don't have a keyboard player, I could add those tracks as well.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Originally posted by b_3guy:

I could jump in & set up drum tracks. I also play bass so I could do that, but somebody might be better than me. If you don't have a keyboard player, I could add those tracks as well.

B-3guy,

I really liked what you did with Seasick, it's a crying shame that everyone couldn't get the tracks pulled together for the final. It takes a whole though and I appreciate every one that made the effort in attemts to get it included on the Collaboration CD.

I'll PM you with a link to streamed vocal track accompanied by the lyrics and if some of you guys want to boot the idea around some, and come up with a rhythm track... we can maybe pick the best track to go with.

Yes B-3guy, I like that sleasy organ playing style of yours :thu: I definitely have a few songs that would find that style very accommodating.

Also,

Depending on how many people express interest, we can divide up and work on more than one song so that we don't get too many folks involved into one song.

If someone has already been working on a rhythm track that seems workable, let us know so that we're not doubling efforts.

With B3guys interest, there is definitely a song that I have called Courtroom Brawl that could really use some dressing up with live instrumentalists; I have a synthesized rough take but would feel better with live players; that song could also use some HORNS!!! I've had him in the back of my mind for Courtroom Brawl for some time.

Okay,

Here's my thoughts for a line up...

How about this???

B3guy lays down a rhythm track and maybe some keys if appropriate in this tune (unless Bluestrat has already got something goin on rhythm... if so, maybe B3guy might wish to take a look at Courtroom Brawl and spin off in another direction)

Ibescotty plays Bass (he's been active PM's)

Bluestrat on Guitar 1

RobCampbell on Guitar 2

JLampson on overdubs .... (J, do you have engineering abilities???) if so, perhaps you could mix the project.

edit:

Oh yeah, and myself on vocals.

I can mix and host the files. I don't know if you need any backup "countrified" vocals or anything, but I will fill in however needed. Maybe people can upload MP3s of stuff in progress and then upload WAVs when we decide on final stuff.

I can also set up a private forum for us at my site so we can collaborate and share ideas there. Not to hide our process from others, but merely to offload and contain our progress.

John

EDIT: As far as overdubs go, I'll help out with whatever is necessary. I'm best at guitar, but can do keyboard synth stuff here or there as well as bass and drums (which are already spoken for on this tune).

-----------

John\'s Songs

Just stuck my head in here to say best of luck!!! :thu::thu:

I haven't got many country music bones in my body so no use at a practical level, but keen to hear the results ;)

Okay,

Just an update... B_3guy has been attempting some rhythm tracks but there is a slight conflict in timing in my melodic structure from verse to bridge. He will be heading out of town this weekend and suggested that if someone else wanted to attempt a rhythm track, he would welcome it. I have opened the door up to JLampson, allowing for the possibility of some rockin BLUES... maybe, and if I have time to attempt a rhythm track over the weekend, I may put something up.

If anyone has anything that they've been playing around with, I'll set up an FTP space to upload parts into.

Archived