Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Collaboration Offer- Boot Kickin Country

Steve,

I sure wish you would reconsider. The parts you came up with are brilliant! The timing issues can easily be addressed. And as I stated above, If you send me the MIDI file for the fiddle part I can run it through the Kirk Hunter strings.

This is not my song, or project. I'm just a cog in the wheel. If my sugestions offended., please except my sincerest appologies. That was not my intent. I did say you could tell me to jump in the lake!

Rob

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve,

The intro on the organ is exactly the kind of entry I was hoping for; I knew that you'd have no problem nailing the organ parts throughout the whole song. I really like the underlying organ tones.

I'm going to attempt getting a vox down tonight the way that I sing it; Rob's vox is a bit different from the way I perform it... my timing will possibly change the whole perspective in the flow of harmony instruments. I "would" like to see what Bluestrat brings to the table with the Slide guitar that he suggested doing prior to working a whole lot extra sections of music for now; do you have the organ on an entirely different track by itself and would it be too much of a problem to pull the other tones out for Bluestrat to work with? Once he has his tracks then we can go from there if nobody has any objections; perhaps some fiddle parts layered into the slide gtr. I'm getting ready to attempt recording now.... If I'm successful, there should be a new vox track up prior to the end of the night.

Steve,

Your parts are indeed an incredible work of art, and I don't think that it is at all Rob's intention to offend you. I believe that Rob is striving for the highest quality production possible, and if he has the tools to enhance a project while replicating parts contributed by other players on more sophisticated equipment, those works will "STILL" be credited to the creator of the part... in this case, YOU. It is YOUR SKILL that made those parts available and will be recognized as such.

This is a procedure that is done in many professional studios where an engineer will replay parts or layer over the parts with additional tracks to enhance the wall of sound and polish the overall production of the project. I believe that Rob is attempting to compliment you on your skills, and only suggesting his ability to improve the sound quality by means of using superior equipment. Not all of us have access to the equipment that Rob has at his dispose; he's an accomplished Pro ... at least that is the vibe I am picking up. When these guys enter into projects, there's a lot that we all can learn from them. Take his suggestions as a compliment; I would.

All three of the engineers on the SOMA team had places where they edited out busy areas or flaws and enhanced tonal quality in particular areas where music tracks submitted; their intention was to enhance the outcome of the project. In a few cases, we had engineers enhancing engineers. :D I was extremely pleased with the works done by all three engineers and I consider them all to be expert engineers.

When a group works together and does not take offense to constructive criticism or enhancement suggestions; the results can be amazing. I suggest allowing Rob to take a stab at recreating the fiddle parts only on the more sophisticated equipment and if you are not 100% satisfied and IMPRESSED with the enhancement in sound production; we'll compromise a deal. Now keep in mind that I've not ran this by Rob..... He's volunteering to take the time necessary to do this tracking.... what'd'ya say Rob??? Deal??? How 'bout it Steve???

Sorry guys, I gigged Sat night & Travis played a couple of serious hockey games yesterday. I appreciate both Rob & your efforts at trying to keep me included in the tune. I'm not sure what my position is at the moment. I thought that Rob was just being polite & complimenting me on keeping my parts simple as to not step on other parts, & really he thought it sucked by what he said in the next two comments. I never thought Rob was being mean, I thought he was dancing around a part that wasn't very good & trying not to hurt feelings. I've had two other bad experience's here in Collab Corner, & I'm not interested in another. My wife thought I was nuts to be involved in another collaboation, based on the other ones. I've never been a player who was comfortable playing other instrument parts, they always sounded so fake, but now with samples being so improved I thought I'd give it a try. My fiddel/violn came from Reason's Strings Refill which is bought separately from Reason, so it's sound is not chopped liver. Rob's strings are only marginally better, but they are better. With Rob's busy guitar part & a slide guitar coming in, there's is no choice but to lay low & do discrete parts. I would like to have the day to think about what I want to do. Rob - don't bother to recreate the part, if I choose to leave the project, you can have the midi file.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Steve,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for those efforts that you have put in thus far and hope for your continued participation in this project. I, too, was involved in one of those failed efforts that you referred to and I'm stuck with a great song in my head that will never be heard in a public setting without potential legalities. I have the lyrics that I can separate and rebuild them to another composition different from that one; but I'm sure that it would never have the same appeal or soft spot as there was in the original way it was written. I wrote the song inspired to great music, in which you were a big contributing factor to the musical works. It's truly a bummer that we didn't get to include it on the CC CD.

Secondly, I am VERY impressed with your style of keyboard playing for the project at hand. You "NAILED" the part almost exactly to what I was hearing in my head with that lead in organ. I could not have described in words what I was hearing in my head, and you walked right in and brilliantly executed the task with flying colors. In honesty; I've never been much of a fiddle person at all ... real or not... so I felt sort of outfield on the position of what they were "supposed" to sound like. I liked the harmonics used in the creation of the parts, but I was thinking some of the parts could use a bit of effects to enhance the tone; but as I said before, I'm not a fiddle person by nature and also, I don't normally write in the country genre.

This style is a new ballgame and a swing around in writing habits for me; I'm usually more geared to write philosophical soul searching type songs... Country seemed like a good place to drop a RANT lyric :D . I thought it would be educational to branch out in versatility; plus the lyrics are definitely country oriented. Hell, I don't even listen to much country music so.... this is definitely a new experience for me; I'm enjoying it too. I never knew that singing a country song could be so much fun.

I still hear your keyboard playing styles and also your horns sections for a song that I have called Courtroom Brawl... That is a very big compliment to you in my admiration for your playing ability, as CB is a very PET project that I would like to see clear through a video production and a staged performance of the courtroom brawl in action.... Somewhat of a saloon type, Mae West or John Wayne, setting where the court pulpit would serve as the bar; the judge would be the bar tender, the attorneys would antagonize each other's client and ag the fight on while contributing to the continued escalation of a full blown clothes ripping, cat scratching, bottle busting brawl that would leave the husband in his boxer shorts and the wife in her petticoats or corsette.... It would be very much an exciting project if ever it were to fly. I'm in total awe over some of the other keyboard players that I've worked with, but I hear the B_3 tones in this project and I think thay you have exactly what I know would work under your belt.

As far as your feeling of alienation in this particular project, I don't think that Rob at all intend his comments in the manner you received them. However, I'm one myself for being overly sensitive at times.

During the production of SOMA'S first tune, "Howls at the Moon", I put up a rough track of a vocal after quickly hooking up my recorder just to get the idea down so the project could continue. One of the other members that was there in the beginning ... jokingly or slurringly stated that it was SO BAD that he couldn't even stand to listen to it. I was very offended, and so much intimidated by the insult (as I received it to be) that when Bob made the offer for any who wished to record at his studio in Indiana were welcome to do so if they wanted to make the jaunt; I drove from Kansas City to Fort Wayne, Indiana to lay down the final vox for the project. I was humbly appreciative of Bob's offer to do the vox track down there at no charge to me other than the expense of my trip. I was that disturbed about my lack of quality production skills after having been told I sucked by another player (paraphrased).

I could easily have contacted a studio here in Kansas City and laid down the tracks here for less than the travel expenses to Indiana, but with Bob having special attachment to the project, I knew that he would do a much better job and get exactly what he needed to work with before I left the studio. It was great getting to meet someone so wonderful face to face. I was hoping to have a chance to meet with Wrave also, but we failed to connect although we did speak on the phone. I would seriously love to meet ALL of the guys that came together in SOMA to finish the tunes.... they are a great bunch of guys to work with and incredibly talented musicians.

When it came time for Answers in the Rain, I had managed to get my Roland back from a friend that had borrowed it, and then had to learn it enough to get the vox down. My guys on SOMA provided some coaching to get me on my way and I greatly appreciated the team efforts; as a result of folks working together in every way, I was able to record my vox here in KC without traveling half way to the coast or across international borders to record. On Howls at the Moon, I didn't have enough confidence built up in the needed time frame to trust my own ability. The second team song, En_Transit, done to beat the project deadline and intended 2 song per team entry, was an instrumental performed by the guys without my musical or lyrical input. We worked around personalities and obstacles to accomplish a great feat and the results were entirely a rewarding and fulfilling experience for those that hung tight. (I think it's a mutual feeling between us, but I must say that I'm speaking for myself here)

There were definitely rough spots on more than one occasion, but always someone yielded in headstrong way and met a compromise; at times it took someone pulling someone off to the side and nudging them to help them realize they were being impatient or overly sensitive to issues. While building working relationships, it takes effort to get to know each other's work ethic and personality; especially when more than two people are involved. I've learned that things don't just happen.... there's a lot of patience and tolerance that needs to be adjusted to suit the needs if something is worth working for.

I would love to see SOMA members join together for the production and release of a full CD project and as of right now, two of them will be working with me again on a project going with JLampson that stemmed off of the original lead for CTF. When the CTF project started filling up with player parts, John accepted the offer of anothe lead and we have an incredible track in the works that will be rejoining me with some of the SOMA players. I'd like to see Wrave and Brett come back into play also.... I think that Brett and John would compliment each other extremely well in their guitar playing styles and I know the rest of the team would blend together very well.

Lastly, I like what you did with CTF and I enjoy working with you, but if you decide that you don't want to stick it out, I'll have to put personalities aside and look at the professional picture over all. If you don't wish to participate, I will not allow the parts to be used as a part of the project so to avoid potential complications down the road in the event the song were to take commercial flight and become successful. Regardless of how well I like someone, or how well I like their musical contributions, I have to put on a suit of armor when making business decisions. I would like to be able to pursue the potential marketing and/or pitching of this song to artists for commercial air play and success with consent and written agreements in place from other participants. Writer agreements and royalty splits would need to be agreed upon and signed in writing from all participants for me to attempt taking a finished project to the next level though. I'm not making any guarantees on the outcome of the efforts I'm willing to extend, but noting ventured is nothing gained. I'm doing this for fun, but also I'm looking at the future potential of the outcome.

Thanks Rob,

I'll download it and listen to it while I'm knee deep in coverart and text layout design... doubt that I'll have any time to respond though...

Same for the project I've got going with John. Bear with me guys.... I'm wanting to get this design work done, so to wrap up the FL Internotes project.

Archived