Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Collaboration Offer- Boot Kickin Country

Originally posted by Rob Campbell:

OK, I've got a slightly different arrangement goin' on, though to be honest, I'm not sure it's "better" than the first one. Ani, I implemented most of what we talked about. Have any of you guy's listened to what I've got? Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I'll re-track it and post it soon as possible, probably a couple more day's.

Rob

Great job Rob! You're a better man than I, I couldn't get this far with it. I like the guitar work, especially before the bridge. Everything sounds professional & well played. All in all, I know you put it a great effort to get it going. Since it's still relatively short, the obvious thing to do is to do a solo, maybe repeat the bridge chords with either 2 instruments taking turns calling & answering each other, or splitting it, or you could just repeat the first verse. I like the solo idea because it allows people to jump in on the project. One go around takes it to the 3:00 min. mark, so you could go even go again. I think a distinct 5 chord is required at the end of each verse, just before the chorus, to fit the vocal better. When I was fooling around with it, I couldn't get chords to fit the melody. So I wonder if the melody is outside the key or if better chords are yet to be found. I haven't analyzed it. Or, Ani could adjust the melody to fit Rob's chords. Or maybe it's just my ear/head & I have to get my brain around the melody & chords. You can tell me to take a hike, if you want. Anyways, a wonderful job Rob. I know I'm listening to hours of work & it shows!

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bluestrat, sounds good my man! Some bottleneck slide would be a great idea!

Steve, thank's for the kind words my friend, appreciate that!

I didn't struggle with the chords to much, but I had a heck of a time with the time structure. Seems there's some 2/4 measures sprinkled in amongst the basic 4/4 tempo Don't know why I fought it so hard, there's been lot's of cool stuff done with multiple time signatures! It's actually gonna help make this tune "stand out" from the pack a little! I like it!

Some very good suggestions you threw out there, I'll look at them this afternoon.

Rob

Here's a couple tracks that I've done recently

http://www.seagull-net.com/Uploads/WhatYouIsLoops3_1.mp3

Vocals, guitar & bass by Scott Ruhs. I did everything else. Drums from a Drum loop CD.

http://www.seagull-net.com/Uploads/howwasi.mp3

Vocals, acoustic guitar, harp by Paul Lucas. I did everything else, including bass guitar. Drums from a drum loops CD.

There are final mixes of these tunes but they're are not posted. They are close to the final mix. You guys can let me know if you want me to put the final drums in place on CTF or whatever else you would like. In the meantime I'll go & check to see what fiddle samples I got that I could play in the tune.

Steve

I didn't struggle with the chords to much, but I had a heck of a time with the time structure. Seems there's some 2/4 measures sprinkled in amongst the basic 4/4 tempo Don't know why I fought it so hard, there's been lot's of cool stuff done with multiple time signatures! It's actually gonna help make this tune "stand out" from the pack a little! I like it!

Well the chords could be me & my brain, but the time signatures didn't give me grief. I agree the quirky things will make this tune stand out. Seems like a number of tunes I've been involved with, including How Was I to Know that I've posted above, have had 2/4 bars.

I'm in the middle of a snowstorm (50cms or 20 inches), so there won't be much going on today, so if you want to do whatever you want to do & email me a MP3 that I can drop in Digital Performer, I can do some stuff. I'll drop a PM to you with my email address.

Steve

Rob,

Thanks for the work you've done so far. Do you have a copy of the newer version available? I checked in Song Ramp, the FTP space, and also in my emails. Again tonight is not a good night for me, at least not right now. My daughter is having a serious ATTITUDE CRISIS... I can't focus on this right now.

OK, give 'er a listen and let me know what ya'll think. It's in the same place as before.

Rob

Sorry Rob, I didn't know you had posted a new version. Sounds good & I think its enough to get going with.

Steve

I gave it a quick listen this morning, but I'm on my way out the door on my way to work so no time to analyze it thoroughly.

The new breaks are very nice Rob; very much like I was looking for.... :thu: Everything sounds like it's there, but there will be places where the performance of vocals will be different in the way I sing them from the way Rob sings them, so I'll try to get a new vox down within the next couple of days. I'm off on Mondays and Tuesdays, so hopefully I'll find some time without interruptions. The only maybe on the platter for my weekend will be if the Treasury Dept. calls me to come in for a wage proposal; and if that's the case, it should only take up one of the days. Teachers meetings were last week, so hopefully nothing from the schools will hammer me.

I will be working on the artwork and credits listing for the Fantasy League Compilation CD, throughout the weekend, on and off, as information is collected from all the participating teams; so to finish up first Collaboration Corner CD project by getting the necessary insert and cover works off to JackPine for packaging our production. But I will definitely put a CTF vox in a priority as well.

CTF Take 3 is up on my site. Tightend up the rythm guitar tracks a tad and fixed a couple timing glitches. It's enough for everyone to start tracking their stuff.

Tempo 150

Key of A

Intro 1 1 1 1

Verse 1 11 1 1 1

Chorus 2 29 1 1 1

Verse 2 41 1 1 1

Solo 71 1 1 1

Bridge 87 1 1 1

Chorus 3 97 1 1 1

Outro 109 1 1 1

End Fade 120 1 1 1

Rob

Hi Steve, you can download the MP3 off my site. There are two icon's, one is a "speaker" which streams the tune, the other is a "lightning bolt" lookin' thingy, it 's for downloading the MP3.

As far as what's needed on the song, what ever moves you musically my friend! Are you familiar with the genre? There's a tune by Dwight Yokam called "Fast As You" that would be a good reference for a B3 kinda thang. Fiddle, Mandolin, ivories are cool. Brook's and Dunn would be another good reference point. Kinda pop rock country.

Rob

Hi Steve, you can download the MP3 off my site. There are two icon's, one is a "speaker" which streams the tune, the other is a "lightning bolt" lookin' thingy, it 's for downloading the MP3.

It asks me for a Username & Password.

Steve

Right then, I believe I've successfully uploaded 2 MP3 files to the ftp sight. 1 is with my crappy scratch vocal and the other one is without vocal. Thank's to Steve and Fetch.

Do we still have someone interested in doing the bass part? I've got a cool bass part in mind but will happilly fore go if someone expressed an interest!

Rob

Rob,

I'm getting ready to tuck my daughter in, my son is already asleep, and I do not have the access information to actually download the tunes. The lightning bolt brings up a prompt for userid and password information.

I can attempt to capture the stream, but it will lose some of the sound... not that it's that big of a deal though on rough tracks.

Have you attempted to access the FTP space, and if so, have you had any success in locating the folder?

I'll send out a group mailing to all involved to have them check in here. If it's okay with Rob, I'll provide them with the site location where the files are hosted now, along with the general password, I'll do so in another group mailing. Once I receive the deeper access information, with Rob's permission or decline I will determine whether I should send that info to all those involved in this project as well.

I think that Ibescotty is still interested in doing Bass, but I don't think that he has received the link as to where to access the private folder. I don't like giving out other people's private information unless I have been authorized to do so.

I'm going to attempt to capture a stream for now and to lay down a vox track if all goes well.

I just did a rough mix, which should be a lot more inspiring to work with then the tracks I uploaded.

Ani, would it be possible to nix the tracks on your ftp site? Then I could upload the new tracks? don't want to incur any extra expense's to you or I'd just add these to what's there.

Rob

Yeah Rob,

No problem in nixing files; I can go ahead and delete them, although it is something that you can do yourself by just selecting the track and hitting delete.

There's not that much of a threat when we are just working with mp3's; it's when we start exchanging .wav files that creates a concern. The .wav files weigh in pretty heavy and chew up bandwidth considerably.

I've downloaded the #3 version, and when I'm singing it.... I'm feeling an extra two measures that would take place between the 38th and 39th measure (I believe) It's the section immediately after the 1st chorus just before you would go into the second verse. It's absolutely fine the way you have it now; but if indeed you are still playing with the tracks, and you wouldn't mind adding two measures identical to the two that start the second verse just prior to the start of the verse; there is something that I thought would sound cute to the extra 2 measures would allow for.

I had a partial vox down a few minutes ago and attempted to do an insert prior to saving it :freak: .... well, notice I said "prior to saving" one of these days I'm going to learn to hit that save button every time I take my hands away from the deck :D I'm going to go pour me a shot of Scotch and mix it with soda to loosen up a bit. Even if it's an extremely rough take, I'll try to get something up into the FTP by the end of the night. I'll be checking in here periodically while I'm still at it.

Rob,

I tossed a rough idea up into the FTP space to show what I was thinking about around that chorus/2nd verse section.

I'll take a listen to #4, and then play around with this some more before I head off to bed.

Don't mind the levels for now, it's just a hair on the hot side starting up, but I'll remedy that when I get to the real stuff; for now, just keeping ideas coming together.

Originally posted by Ani:

I tossed a rough idea up into the FTP space to show what I was thinking about around that chorus/2nd verse section.

I like that little addition. I've got #4 & I'm liking it. I'm good to go as long as the little fills don't change. Inserting a measure here & there won't matter, I just hate to learn the fills only for them to change. Are these the final drums?

Steve

Hi Ani, sounds good. Do you anticipate any other changes? I'm wondering if I should wait a bit before I do another version.

Steve, those are definetly NOT the final drums. If someone wants to do the drum parts, that's cool, otherwise I'll be going over that track with a fine tooth comb.

Rob

Archived