Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So who are the bass players' favorite drummers?

bassdrummer

All right you bunch of low down bassists . . .

Who are your favorite drummers . . . and why? We drummers need to know what you all, our better half, have to say . . .

Just to get your low frequency brains going, here are a few drummers to think about (or to ignore, up to you!)

John Bonham

Keith Moon

Mitch Mitchell

Buddy Rich

Bill Stewart

Carter Beauford

Neil Peart

Jeff Porcaro

Steve Smith

Stewart Copeland

Dave Grohl

Taylor Hawkins

Terry Bozzio

Vinnie Colauita

Kenny Aronoff

Mike Portnoy

Dave Weckl

Travis Barker

Adrian Young

Phil Collins

Hal Blaine

and that's just scratching the surface!

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my faves is Matt Cameron (now with Pearl Jam). His timing and groove is rock solid.

There are tons of good ones, though!

Rig:

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Fender Deluxe V (Bartolini pickups and BTB-01 preamp)

Schecter Diamond Series Model T

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Larry Mullen Jr was an early favourite of mine. He's not technically astounding but he's very tasteful, and you're not a drummer if you can't play "Sunday Bloody Sunday".

I'm always impressed by Chad Smith, especially live. He can drop funky fills without ever losing the groove. I once saw him move from his drumkit to play his sticks on Dave Navarro's amp, then on Flea's amp, then sit back down and hit his drums again - very cool to watch!

I'm a huge fan of Benny Benjamin too, as most bassists are!

Steve Gadd

Peter Erskine

Vinnie Colaiuta

Roy Haynes

Clayton Cameron (the most astounding brush player you will ever see)

Jack DeJohnette

Paul Wertico (his replacement with the Pat Metheny Group is impressive: Antonio Sanchez)

Manu Katche

Chad Smith, John Bonham, Ziggy Modeliste, Carlton Barrett, Vinnie Paul, Billy Cobham, Brad Wilk, et al. Basically drummers that bounce and swing regardless of the style that they're playing, and also know how to accent the music, play dynamically and are creative with fills and basic beats.

Alex

Originally posted by Alan Dalton:

Larry Mullen Jr was an early favourite of mine. He's not technically astounding but he's very tasteful, and you're not a drummer if you can't play "Sunday Bloody Sunday".

Amen to that! I'll take "tasteful" over "technically outstanding" any day! Go Larry!

"I can't believe the news today

Oh I can't close my eyes, can't make it go away

Sunday bloody Sunday . . ."

Great song, great drummer.

And yes! Chad Smith with his funky flavor is right on. Benny Benjamin, Pistol Allen, Motown Drum Gods . . . all hail . . .

Thanks for the responses bass players!

Keep it coming. And don't forget to tell us drummers WHY you like who you like on drums!

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

I'll tell you an overlooked drummer I'd love to play with: Alan White of Yes. Whether you want to play a huge ballad, grind out a muscular rock groove, or take off into an hour of prog-rock calisthenics, he's the guy. Lots of people don't know that he played drums for John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band before he joined Yes. Listen to that album, followed by "Relayer" or "Tales From Topographic Oceans" and tell me he's not one versatile guy.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Keith Moon- For sheer insanity, noone comes close.

Neil Peart- Gotta love that huge kit.

Stewart Copeland- His solo work

demonstrates how talented he is as a whole musician, not just a drummer... not to mention he's just odd.

Phil Collins- Ditto, except change odd to bald.

Charlie Watts- For never cracking a smile in spite of Mick and Keith... got to give him credit for that!

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I can't remember his/her? name, but whoever drums for the now defunct Smashing Pumpkins is one of the best rock drummers I know.

Larry Mullen is another great choice, I don't find his drumming technically limited in the slightest, the drummer in our band adores him and is forever trying a Mullen roll in every new song, luckily he either pulls it off, or joins back into the band and keeps a simple groove.

I absolutely adore Mo Tuckers drumming for The V.U, so simple, so effective.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Not only does Neil have a huge kit - he uses every piece of it. I saw them in concert last November and he was incredible. I am always impressed with his mixed and multi-meter grooves. I have listened to RUSH for as long as I can remember.

I also have to put in a plug again (I know I'm a bit of a stuck record here lately) for Yellowjackets drummer Marcus Baylor. Listen to Mint Jam, their new CD and you will hear som egreta drumming. You will also hear great playing between him and bassist Jimmy Haslip, as well as the entire group.

For big band type stuff, I'll take any drummer that played with the Count Basie band. If they weren't any good, they wouldn't have been in that band. Joe Jones and Sonny Payne come to mind in particular.

Could go on and on, but I'll stop there for now.

Originally posted by SteveC:

...For big band type stuff, I'll take any drummer that played with the Count Basie band. If they weren't any good, they wouldn't have been in that band. ...

Hear hear

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Being the classic rocker I am, few of mine are:

Ginger Baker

John Bonham

Keith Moon

Mitch Mitchell

Larry Mullen Jr.

Chris Layton

Names I can't think of right now....:

The guy from Phish

The guy from Tom Petty and TH

The one from Boston

The one from Blue Oyster Cult

Yes, Danny Carey is the man. The rest of my band and I get a chuckle out of watching our drummer tackle some of Danny's intricate lines. I love that he busts out some electric drum sounds and the tablas in pushit from salival are awesome. I'm not sure if it is him playing but I know he received lessons from tabla player Aloke Dutta. Very strong player indeed. :thu: You can check out his kit at dannycarey.org
"Don't Ask Me I'm Just The Bassplayer" UBP

I like most the drummers that:

-utilize the wrist AND the arm

-utilize their x and y chromosomes (the guys, that is)

-know when NOT to play

-belive that loud does not equal fast

-believe that soft does not equal slow

-belive drums are an instrument

Originally posted by paostby:

I like most the drummers that:

-utilize the wrist AND the arm

-utilize their x and y chromosomes (the guys, that is)

-know when NOT to play

-belive that loud does not equal fast

-believe that soft does not equal slow

-belive drums are an instrument

Hey, you just described a bass player!

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Cowbell Allen: The guy from Phish is named Jon Fishman. Nothing to do with the naming of the band, mind you (seriously).

I really don't think he's a great drummer, though. His participation in jams leaves much to be desired, in my opinion. Mostly he just keeps time, which he does do very well.

That's the drummers job. He doesn't get in the way of the other solos and he keeps time. Sounds like the perfect drummer.

Originally posted by CowbellAllen:

Cowbell Allen: The guy from Phish is named Jon Fishman. Nothing to do with the naming of the band, mind you (seriously).

I really don't think he's a great drummer, though. His participation in jams leaves much to be desired, in my opinion. Mostly he just keeps time, which he does do very well.

That's the drummers job. He doesn't get in the way of the other solos and he keeps time. Sounds like the perfect drummer.
But I like a drummer that'll add fills and solos too, not just keep time. Of course, when the mood is right, I really can't hear most of what's goin on in the music anyway.

I surprised the thread has gotten this lone without a mention of Dennis Chambers. Saw him last year with Mike Stern, oh yea and Victor Wooten on bass. Dennis stole the show. It was also interesting seeing Victor in a situation where he was reading charts, I believe he subbed that gig and he did a great job. There is an old thread on this and my answer at that time was Peter Erskine.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Originally posted by Wally Malone:

There is an old thread on this and my answer at that time was Peter Erskine.

Wally

Peter Erskine...whew, how did that slip by? Besides his list of personal contributions and collaborations, here was a drummer who understood the total sound/contributions of the whole band. His liner notes to Jaco's Birthday Concert, show his knowledge of what it takes to make an extraordinary gig posible...He left no-one out, and pointed out some great performances..."sum of the parts!"

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Archived