Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So who are the bass players' favorite drummers?

bassdrummer

DEFINITELY Dennis Chambers. Also:

Carter Beauford -- DMB

Vinnie Colaiuta -- Sting, Steely Dan, among many others.

Future Man -- Flecktones. What do you drummers think of him? Just listening, I always forget that he's not playing an actual trapset.

Jeff Hamilton -- Relatively unknown NorthWest jazzer who will amaze and astound with his unique approach.

Aaron Comess -- Spin Doctors. ALL the Spin Doctors kick ass, in fact.

Derek Munson -- My good friend and jam buddy, who I'm certain could "make it big" if he moved to a bigger city. I'd miss playing with him too much, though.

All your bass are belong to us!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YES Wally,

I had the same " how can you miss him" expercience with Dennis Chambers. But I've another one for you

Harvey Mason

Check him out with Paul Jackson. If that is not funk, I'll eat my axe. The Paul Jackson Headhunters years rule (and Jaco of course on Mr Hands)!!

The rock drummers listed above are on my list. I'll add two more...

Pete Thomas (Elvis Costello and The Attractions) - some outstanding work. Try listening to "You'll Never Be A Man" from the Trust album. The entire time he's filling into the next phrase, but so cleanly that you aren't overwhelmed by it. Many other examples...

Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge, Cactus, etc.) - Cactus is one of my favorite bands, and Carmine's work is wonderful. He plays with bassist Tim Bogert so well !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by bassdrummer:

And don't forget to tell us drummers WHY you like who you like on drums!

You want to know WHY I like Steve Gadd, Pete Erskine, Vinnie Colaiuta, etc.? How much time do you have?

:D

With Gadd and Erskine, there is simply nothing they can't play. All you need is a listen to Gadd and Erskine on Steely Dan's "Aja", or Erskine live with Weather Report. It's like asking a golfer what they like about Tiger Woods' game.

With Vinnie Colaiuta and Manu Katche, when I hear something great on a record and look to see who is the drummer, it's often been one of them. They author some insanely creative grooves.

Roy Haynes is one of wellsprings from which every jazz drummer has drawn water.

Jack DeJohnette is one of the most "musical" drummers on the planet. There's a certain melodic sense in his playing. He also plays piano, so that has something to do with it. His album "Parallel Realities" (w/Herbie Hancock and Pat Metheny) is a favorite. Love him on the trio albums with Keith Jarrett & Dave Holland.

Paul Wertico is a brilliant "colorist" whose cymbal work adds huge texture without being overpowering.

Matt Cameron...the finest rock drummer of all time (better time than Bonham and more groove than Ghrol and don't get me started on that Danny Carrey guy...dude sound like a robot...too many notes).

Zigaboo Modileste...relentlessly creative and funky as hell.

Ditto David Garibaldi.

Stewart Copeland...love to listen to him, not so sure I'd like to play with him. Would there be any space for me?

Evan Jenkins...one of the most laid back characters you will ever meet. Great groove, has chops but he ain't a chops player. Quickly comes up with great parts that fit tunes and make me grin like a twat. (Plays with White Buffalo and my band, Lofee, plus London freelance). Easy to play with. (Ain't that the biggest test?)

Sam Kelly...ex-Cymandie, now London freelance. Groove on legs. Looks kinda like Chef from South Park, leads from the back, encourages young players...much like Evan Jenkins...so easy to play with.

Olly Peacock (Gomez, the band that manages to combine Nirvana, Tom Waits and Orbital.) Amazing lyrical drummer. Great hot-rod sounds, light deft touch, beautifully sloppy feel. The most musical drummer I have come accross. (Yes even more than Ginger Baker.)

Benny Benjamin/Uriel Jones/Pistol Allen...Motown, what more do you have to say?

Drummers are great aren't they?

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

OK:

Buddy Miles -- Played with a lot of peeps in the '60s and '70s. Most notably Jimi Hendrix. I like him for his heavy foot. He's rock solid and can sing his ass off. A total secret weapon.

Bun E. Carlos -- Cheap Trick. Simple but elegant playing. Nails everything in a single take.

Dennis Chambers -- P. Funk and some progressive crap. Still one of the funkiest drummers ever. I think he invented the hi-hat fill.

Dave Grohl -- umm... a little band called Nirvana. Ever heard of them? Also the Foo Fighters and Queens of The Stone age. Plays like an animal, but he's also got a lot of finesse as well. Always seems to play exactly the right thing for the song. Also sings, plays guitar and writes songs as well. Another secret weapon.

Tommy Lee -- Motley Crue. Invented the "stripper groove" and is an amazing showman. Unfortunately, he also beats women and videotapes his sexual behavior. Oh well... He loses points for the latter, but gains them for the former.

Vinnie Paul -- Pantera. Fast feet, but he's also just about the funkiest player in metal IMO. Could probably play anything.

Levon Helm -- The Band. Tasty, tasty playing, and he can sing.

There are more, but that's enough for you.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by CupMcMali:

I can't remember his/her? name, but whoever drums for the now defunct Smashing Pumpkins is one of the best rock drummers I know.

I think it was Jimmy Chamberlin. Have to agree, he's tremendous, he's the reason that "Tonight, Tonight" and "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" were such big hits. He knew how to create an atmosphere in a song. Dunno what he's up to now.

Originally posted by Alan Dalton:

Originally posted by CupMcMali:

I can't remember his/her? name, but whoever drums for the now defunct Smashing Pumpkins is one of the best rock drummers I know.

I think it was Jimmy Chamberlin. Have to agree, he's tremendous, he's the reason that "Tonight, Tonight" and "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" were such big hits. He knew how to create an atmosphere in a song. Dunno what he's up to now.
I believe that he and Billy Corgan have a new band and that there's an album dropping within the next week or so. For some reason I think that band name is "Swan" -- but I'm really not sure. Because of the Chicago roots of the Smashing Pumpkins, there's a lot of buzz around here about it. I just haven't fine-tuned my radar.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Yeah... I've heard the new Zwan single. Sounds like Smashing Pumpkins. Big shocker, huh?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Stewart Copeland- My current drummer is a big fan of his and I hear the influence. Lots of fun!!

Neil - I'd probably be to busy watching though.

John Bonham - He really could grove. I'm not even really a Zep guy.

I'll 2nd the James Brown drummers. HIT ME !!!!!

Dave Grohl - Mr. Creative

Keith Moon - Who?

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure there are more...

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

i love listening to bloodsugarsexmagik because chad smith grooves all over the album. as much as the the whole musical experience was nearly religious in its profound influence on who i am (as a person, not just as a musician), the more i listen to it, the more i listen to feel chad smith's groove. flea's basslines have been some of the most influential on my playing, and the songs really speak well for themselves, but the groove from the drumkit is what makes that album.

so i guess chad smith on my list. what i like in drummers, and really all musicians, is the ability to trust them to do their job without screwing up the time, feel, and love of the music. the worst drummers i play with try to be elastic in time to everyone else, as if they haven't gotten that we're relying on them to set the time for us. another guy i played with for a while just didn't get excited about music anymore. that was frustrating, because it was always just another show. he didn't care about what he was doing, and his drumming became very uninspired and lacking energy as a result.

bryan st. pere is a great drummer. he played with hum, a semi-obscure band from the mid 90s. they were really great, and his drumming was incredible -- full of feel, lots of cymbals, and really propelled each song.

jimmy chamberlin of the smashing pumpkins and zwan is so expressive with his drums. i love how he speaks with them, like they're melodic similar to a bass or guitar. i saw a kid play drums in a southern baptist church down here who had that same sort of groove. you could almost hear the words form from his drumming, it was so expressive.

i would also love to play with will goldsmith of sunny day real estate and the fire theft. very powerful drummer who can also be delicate. i really love cymbals, and he uses them very well. listen to the way he and nate mendel work together with and against the guitars in the first sunny day real estate record. and their second album is really incredible on all fronts. the drumming isn't really superior to anything other than drumming on other bands' albums.

i guess that's enough words.

robb.

Patrick,

I don't know how much you know about drums, but I'm a huge Phish fan and every drummer I know, even those who've been playing for years and years, are consistently amazed by Fishman's playing. He's not as flashy and loud as other drummers, but his chops are above reproach.

From my current listening:

Steve Gadd - Steely Dan's Aja

Carlos Vega - GRP records

Stewart Copeland - His Police work and with Stanley Clarke

Billy Cobham - for his dynamics, Live in Greek

Kenny Aronoff/Gregg Bissonette - machine like

Dennis Chambers - unusual rhythm, he is everywhere

William Kennedy - I am amazed nobody mentioned him, his work on cymbals is very smooth - Yellowjackets work

Akira Jimbo - Casiopea works

I love the quick response you all gave me. Such punctual bassists! And thanks for sharing your insights and preferences.

Someone mentioned Smashing Pumpkins -- that drummer is Jimmy Chamberlain. Yes, he rocks.

James Brown's incredible funky drummers -- Clyde Stubblefield and Jabo Starks. They prove the groove with just high hat, kick, and snare.

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Originally posted by Hoagie:

Mike Portnoy - Dream Theatre

Dave Lombardo & Paul Bostaff - Slayer

Scott Rockenfield - Queensryche

...and Scott has the coolest looking set out there. All connected by chains. He gets style points!!!

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

Originally posted by ibescotty:

Originally posted by Hoagie:

Mike Portnoy - Dream Theatre

Dave Lombardo & Paul Bostaff - Slayer

Scott Rockenfield - Queensryche

...and Scott has the coolest looking set out there. All connected by chains. He gets style points!!!
You might be interested to see the last page of the latest Keyboard Magazine for Scott Rockenfield and his home studio. I just received my subscription copy yesterday, so it might not be on newsstands yet.

One drummer I don't think has been mentioned -

Poogie Bell (Marcus Miller, Alex Bugnon...) reminds me of H. Mason.

and previously mentioned:

Billy Cobham

Clyde Stubblefield

I had the pleasure of playing with Clyde in Madison, WI (or rather, being taught...) back in '86...I still mentally refer to those "lessons" on a regular basis!

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

I was gonna specifically namecheck Jabo Starks if nobody else did ;)

Question.

Why hasn't anybody said Bernard Purdie yet? I can't imagine not wanting to play along with that. For that matter, Rick Marotta. We all know the stevegadddennischambersvinniecoliuta side of things, but who can play a groove like Purdie?

Originally posted by Chris Johnson:

I was gonna specifically namecheck Jabo Starks if nobody else did ;)

Question.

Why hasn't anybody said Bernard Purdie yet? I can't imagine not wanting to play along with that. For that matter, Rick Marotta. We all know the stevegadddennischambersvinniecoliuta side of things, but who can play a groove like Purdie?

Purdie has always been one of my favorites. After listening to the King Curtis Live at the Fillmore album years ago I started calling Purdie the General. Check out the Memphis Soul Stew cut from that recording. I got to meet him a few years ago when I was in NYC on AFM business. He was playing a club date as the leader and got to talk to him on his break. Also saw him play this last weekend with Larry Coryell (spelling) and Jeff Berlin at the NAMM show.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Well let's see here. I'm a drummer so obviously I'm interested in this list you guys are putting together

Tim "Herb" Alexander- the former drummer from Primus. Not nearly enough mention of him. He has a great feel and is as solid as they come.

Sly Dunbar- Wow, no mention of him? He and Robbie Shakespeare form an 'earthquake proof' foundation. The stuff they did with Grace Jones is just excellent. Definitely a Bass player's Drummer!

Omar Hakim- Hello??? Free, Free, "Set Them Free"??? "Children's Crusade"? Actually everything on the Blue Turtles album was great. He was the perfect drummer for that album.

Manu Katche- He's a favorite of mine, so you know who I'm going to mention next...

Stewart Copeland- Yup! Someone said they weren't sure if they'd want to play with him because of his 'busyness'. I wouldn't worry about it. Stew accents the sound. He wouldn't take anything from you. Rather, he would compliment you. There would be plenty of room for you and he to play off of each other. Great drummer.

Dennis Chambers- Oh yeah! He's the kind of drummer that you can see his facial expression just by hearing what he's playing. And what a competent sense of the groove he has! 'In the pocket', as they say.

Peter Erskine- He would be a blast to jam with. Nobody can play that 'loose' sense of timing like he can. He is an amazing drummer!

Steve Gadd is a fantastic drummer. I can't take anything away from him. But if I wanted to hear Steve Gadd at his best, I'd listen to something with Dave Weckl. Sorry. Dave's ability to play around the kit is phenomenal. His internal clock is rock solid, yet his playing never sounds stiff. His sense of dynamics is superior to anyone I've ever heard. It actually pains me to say that, however. Because for all of his ability: once you've heard Dave Weckl, you HEARD Dave Weckl... Also, I get the impression he's not really the nicest guy you'll ever meet. Still, he can sure play the drums...

No mention of Buddy Rich??? Good. I have a policy in my Talent Index of tallying one's 'Musical Ability Points' and then subtracting 'Asshole Points' to arrive at a final score. Sorry Buddy, your score ain't look'n too good...

Bill Bruford -Would be a good drummer to play with. Not because he's a solid drummer -he's not. Bill's approach to drumming is what makes him so special, not his solidness or feel. No, I'd want to play with Bill because he always involves himself in projects that produce great and unique music, and always surrounds himself with the very best musicians. Bill is on a relentless creative pursuit.

I can think of many more, but I'm not writing a book here -I just wanted to chime in...

Bass Player's RULE! :wave:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Super 8:

Sly Dunbar- Wow, no mention of him?

Forgive my ignorance, but I remember an Ansly Dunbar on a Zappa record around the time of "200 Motels" (Chunga's Revenge). Is that the same guy? I liked his work there....

Thanks for stopping by :thu:

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Dear Mr. Bassist,

Came in, read thru the sheet music, said "okay, I'm ready," and cut that track in one take.

From where did you get this information? The mood is very nice in Aja. I never think took only one take.

Archived