Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Charlie Hustle passes .....

Delaware Dave

He was a great ball player, no doubt. But he continued to lie throughout his sad life. When he finally admitted to betting on baseball, he said that it was only for his own team to win. Like that makes it OK. Besides the bookies knowing that the games that he was not betting on were probably compromised, I wonder if he may have sacrificed games to save a relief pitcher for a later date when he knew he would be betting on that game.  

He also ended Ray Fosse’s career by brutally running into him during a meaningless All-Star game. Fosse suffered a fractured and separated shoulder during the play. He claimed he dealt with chronic pain for decades after the incident because the injury healed incorrectly.

Let’s also not forget that Pete had sex with underaged girls and was a convicted (and imprisoned) felon. Not exactly Hall of Fame material.  

• Like 2

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

21 hours ago, HammondDave said:

He also ended Ray Fosse’s career by brutally running into him during a meaningless All-Star game. Fosse suffered a fractured and separated shoulder during the play. He claimed he dealt with chronic pain for decades after the incident because the injury healed incorrectly.

I tend to look at that with a grain of salt.  Fosse went on to play for nine more years but had a bunch of additional injuries, most of them coming from fights on the field and in the clubhouse, and another time when he supposedly fell into a hole at a spring training ballpark.  Pete Rose shouldn't get all the blame.

• Like 2

All time hits leader needs to be in the hall of fame. 

MLB like the NFL talk out of both sides of their mouth.  Bans a player for betting but at the end of each inning shows the new line on over/under on runs scored, new odds on who will win the game.  Cant have it both ways, ban a player for betting but get a cut of the viewership bets on games.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

2 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

All time hits leader needs to be in the hall of fame. 

MLB like the NFL talk out of both sides of their mouth.  Bans a player for betting but at the end of each inning shows the new line on over/under on runs scored, new odds on who will win the game.  Cant have it both ways, ban a player for betting but get a cut of the viewership bets on games.

Apples and Oranges…. In one case you have people outside of the game gambling who have no control over the result of the game, on the other you have a manager of a team gambling who has a hell of a lot of control over the result of the game. And how do we know that he only gambled to win?  The guy was a habitual lier and was in debt to the mob. And he slept with young teenagers.  Yes, he was a great ball player. A model for the Hall of Fame?  I think not. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

3 hours ago, LarsHarner said:

I remember my first game at the Vet- 9/6/81 (Sunday before I started 3rd grade). He went 2 for 4 and we lost 5-4 to the Braves. I never really met him but he signed his biography at a book signing in Philadelphia 20 years ago.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

As a sportsman, Pete Rose will go down in history as one of the greatest baseball players.

As a flawed humam being, he knocked himself out of the Hall of Fame. He wasn't looked upon too favorably in some corners of the court of public opinion.

None of it matters now. Game over. RIP Mr. Rose.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

In general, I'm in the camp that thinks we should keep moral character out of HOF considerations. I would even extend that to steroid use, though I admit that's very debatable.

But betting on games where you're the player or manager, that's where I would draw the line. A rule like that either applies to everyone or no one, and if everyone can bet on their own games, the sport would have no integrity. No punishment is too severe.

But for guys like me who grew up in the 70's playing baseball and watching Rose in his prime, his impact was indelible -- there was no one like him. Nothing can change that.

• Like 2

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64