Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I had to laugh … Roland Owners Manuals

Hey all,

My oldest brother is a lifelong guitar player and he and his wife decided to buy a Roland Juno DS to experiment with and learn to play. For what he’s doing, it’s a very fine instrument and way better than what I started with nearly 40 years ago.

He’s not a technical guy at all, and he called me the other day frustrated that he couldn’t figure out how to change the time signature for a loop. He says to me “this owners manual is TERRIBLE!”.

I said “Brother, you don’t know what a bad Roland owners manual is …

Unless you saw what passed as a manual in the mid to late-80’s, anything Roland is doing now is leaps and bounds better. My GO Keys manual is Shakespeare compared to my old (typed) Roland D-20 manual. Roland manuals in the eighties were legendary for poor translation and typos.

Anyways, it made me laugh.

Todd

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Sundown

Finished: GatewayThe Jupiter BluffCondensation

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Roland wasn't the only culprit. There's folklore about the Yamaha CP-70B manual's instructions on how to assemble the legs to the bottom half (keyboard). Evidently the author chose a slang word for "screw" although they apparently didn't know that the slang version referred to a different kinda screw: "f*ck the legs into the case"...

Giving credit where it's due, I couldn't remember the exact quote. This has been discussed before, so I found it here:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

10 hours ago, mcgoo said:

Roland wasn't the only culprit. There's folklore about the Yamaha CP-70B manual's instructions on how to assemble the legs to the bottom half (keyboard). Evidently the author chose a slang word for "screw" although they apparently didn't know that the slang version referred to a different kinda screw: "f*ck the legs into the case"...

Giving credit where it's due, I couldn't remember the exact quote. This has been discussed before, so I found it here:

Reminds me of an instruction manual for an old compressor motor I used to own. The Jinglish talked of faults occurring in the motor as "rotating mistakes".

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT,
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood and Fantasy Orchestra, Spitfire Albion and Symphony, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

I've had my share of old Roland manuals over the years. It wasn't just the translation issues with those. They gave little instruction or examples as to what exactly a certain parameter would be used for - only the various parameter options you had control over. The best, informative, clear and concise manual I ever had was my Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler manuals. There were three or four included totalling about 400 pages. They really did a great job and made it very easy to learn how to use every bit of it. 

I have a manual from a Hammond XK-1.  The english translation in that rivals anything Roland ever put out! 

• Like 1

You don't even need to go back in time to have a laugh: try finding tube preamp PCBs on aliexpress and the like and you should find listings of said things with such poetic descriptions as 'Fever' and 'Bile' ...

That nobody corrects these is further amusement. 😁

Kurzweil K2500XS + KDFX, Roland: JX-3P, JX-8P, Korg: Polysix, DW-8000, Alesis Micron, DIY Analogue Modular

Bought a SPD-20 drum pad years and years ago. It had a wonderful manual. I learned to layer sounds for each pad with various cross fades and velocity switches. Example, I could set a ride cymbal sound to play a 50 percent volume when played soft, then gradually crossfade to a ride bell sound with hard hits. Diagrams and directions for each possible velocity curve made it super easy. It was also super easy to attach pedals for bass drum, hi-hat control, and external drum and cymbal pads. I turned it into a kit.

Bought a new SPD-SX Pro last year, three generations past the SPD-20. What an awful manual and menu system. I still have not figured how hot to get hi-hat sounds and control to the pad I want. I fight with it for a while, then go back to using my old TD drum brain.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

On 8/23/2024 at 4:26 PM, Sundown said:

Unless you saw what passed as a manual in the mid to late-80’s, anything Roland is doing now is leaps and bounds better

Back then, rumor had it that for some arcane reason, Roland manuals were first translated from Japanese to Dutch and then from Dutch to English. This may have been urban folklore, but it seemed as plausible as anything else and could explain some of the language mangling. 

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I got a Roland VR 760 and the owners manual is a nightmare! I am trying to get the split function to send information to an organ module and it doesn't come close to explaining how to do it even though several people in a previous post say it can be done. Their explanation doesn't make sense to me. Just because one person understands something doesn't mean they can make it clear....just look at about 10 YouTube music lessons.

Hey!   I learned the ancient, dead language of Sanskrit while learning how to program my then, new, Yamaha MEP4.   Between the owner's manual and the two line lcd display, it was an interesting adventure   :)

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

I would give their tech support a call or email them. I know a lot of times on some arrangers, on the midi preset accompaniment

drum beats there's not a way to change the time signature, it's fixed. Their support team should be able to answer this. If it's not possible, a lot of times these manuals don't say that. There won't be any information at all that it can't be done. It will be completely missing if the answer is no.

On 8/25/2024 at 1:03 PM, Threadslayer said:

Back then, rumor had it that for some arcane reason, Roland manuals were first translated from Japanese to Dutch and then from Dutch to English. This may have been urban folklore, but it seemed as plausible as anything else and could explain some of the language mangling. 

This reminds me of a tour story. The bass player and I had two days off on the island of Ischia, Italy. We were at a bar watching M*A*S*H dubbed in Italian. At the bar sat a group of Germans, a few Italians, and us. I spoke some high school German and the bass player was fluent in Spanish. I translated the Germans to the bass player and he offered Spanish to the Italians. It was probably as close as a Roland manual but we were all pretty drunk and had a blast.