Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-88 EX

And...it's out!

Had it pre-ordered since May but i couldn't share my joy with anyone due to confidentiality until Roland make the release public.

I actually got it by chance. When i returned my FP-30X, i asked the distributer that i wanted an RD-88 instead, which he didn't have in store. So when he called Roland, they told him that the RD-88 will be discontinued and replaced with the RD-88 EX. So they offered to give him the EX instead, with the promise to keep things quite until official launch.

For the record, i haven't received it yet! Any day now!

7 minutes ago, Keepitsimple said:

And...it's out!

Had it pre-ordered since May but i couldn't share my joy with anyone due to confidentiality until Roland make the release public.

I actually got it by chance. When i returned my FP-30X, i asked the distributer that i wanted an RD-88 instead, which he didn't have in store. So when he called Roland, they told him that the RD-88 will be discontinued and replaced with the RD-88 EX. So they offered to give him the EX instead, with the promise to keep things quite until official launch.

For the record, i haven't received it yet! Any day now!

Are you on VI Control by chance?

4 minutes ago, Keepitsimple said:

Yes, why? LOL

I just posted the same thing over there! I'm too excited lol .

Hahaha, I saw you drop something about this a few months ago, it created a little curiosity flag in the back of my mind after reading it.

So are they treating this as a kind of .5 upgrade? I'm trying to understand what the major changes from OG88 are. My number one issue with that one was the interface, I'm wondering if they've taken any steps to improve it here.

3 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

Hahaha, I saw you drop something about this a few months ago, it created a little curiosity flag in the back of my mind after reading it.

So are they treating this as a kind of .5 upgrade? I'm trying to understand what the major changes from OG88 are.

Haha yep it was me! I couldn't hold the secret much longer and i wanted to get at least some hints out!! 

The difference is basically a new silk screen with the EX logo and the new Supernatural Pianos. To my knowledge, the rest of the hardware is basically the same as the RD-88. 

11 hours ago, Keepitsimple said:

Yes. Just saw the video! I'm not a fan of the PHA-50 but the RD-2000 was my initial target when I started shopping 6 months ago!

@Keepitsimple Do you know if there's a replacement for the Juno-DS series? I think it's the only board without the Zen-Core stuff that Roland will probably need to upgrade and I'm thinking I'd rather wait to see the upgrade than buy the current (and possibly discounted) Juno-DS.

Looks like you can download an upgrade to the RD2000 so no hardware improvements. Korg Grandstage X and now this...where are the innovative new products?

• Like 2

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Am surprised that the RD-2000 hasn't been replaced by a Zen-core based version, like every other Roland board. 

A couple of download pianos and an Ex label does not constitute a new model in my book. 

1 hour ago, Paul Woodward said:

...where are the innovative new products?

Clearly not being produced by the big 3 manufacturers (Yamaha, Roland, Korg).🤣

I guess their idea of innovative is 1) being able to download sounds over USB and 2) slapping a new sticker on the same old KB.😁

IMO, Innovation in KBs will be more software integration and connectivity since *new* onboard sounds seem to have been exhausted.😎

• Like 3

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

So they just added one more piano to the RD-88 and called it the EX. 

And if you’ve already got the original, they want you to download the piano from Roland Cloud for $99. 
No other enhancements whatsoever. 
Heck, upgrading hardware is a hell of a job. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony Lancer said:

@Keepitsimple Do you know if there's a replacement for the Juno-DS series? I think it's the only board without the Zen-Core stuff that Roland will probably need to upgrade and I'm thinking I'd rather wait to see the upgrade than buy the current (and possibly discounted) Juno-DS.

Sorry i don't know. Wish i was familiar with the release cycles of the Junos but i'm not. 

Can't see any hardware differences between my RD88 and the RD88ex. It just seems to be the extra pianos? (oh it must weigh 2mg more from the EX paintwork added) 😁

I logged into Roland cloud, and there wasn't even the upgrade path listed as yet. I just at least wanted to see how much it would cost for the extra pianos. Seems the companies are playing really cautious with new hardware lately.

I sense an atmosphere in the discussion here reminiscent of the disappointment when the RD08 vs RD88 first came out a few months ago. I just can't imagine spending the money on an RD08 when the RD88 is more complete for not much more. Am I missing something here?

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT,
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood and Fantasy Orchestra, Spitfire Albion and Symphony, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

31 minutes ago, DeltaJockey said:

I sense an atmosphere in the discussion here reminiscent of the disappointment when the RD08 vs RD88 first came out a few months ago. I just can't imagine spending the money on an RD08 when the RD88 is more complete for not much more. Am I missing something here?

I think Roland are riding the EX (Expanded?) wave until there aren't any products left to apply it to. Fantom: Done. RD-2000: Done. RD-88: Done. Anything left? Maybe Juno? 

At least they're not milking the Kronos engines for eternity like Korg has been doing for the past 100000 years haha.

• Like 1

I do miss those decades of innovation from the late 70's. Growing up as a teen in the 80's, there was so much new stuff, 90's again. It seems they have all the 'tech' now, but no real innovation or groundbreaking products. Has it all been done?

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

25 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

I do miss those decades of innovation from the late 70's. Growing up as a teen in the 80's, there was so much new stuff, 90's again. It seems they have all the 'tech' now, but no real innovation or groundbreaking products. Has it all been done?

Cloud and software made everything redundant and repetitive, just like all women look the same nowadays with those lip and face fillers. Bad analogy maybe lol.

7 minutes ago, Keepitsimple said:

Cloud and software made everything redundant and repetitive, just like all women look the same nowadays with those lip and face fillers. Bad analogy maybe lol.

I think ‘all women’ might be pushing it a bit….I get your point though, especially from a ‘celeb’ perspective.

• Like 1

No big surprise here really. Isn’t this what Roland have been doing for years? The original Rd700 had Sx, GX and maybe a third iteration? Same with the 800 series. 

Most of the “upgrades” nowadays are software based. I guess for Roland if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, and a complete hardware redesign is too cost prohibitive considering the amount of units they shift.

I don’t consider this an upgrade in any shape or form. Reminds me of that silly MODX+ update a couple of years ago….slightly increase the ram and change the mod and pitch wheels to more “premium” ones. Laughable. 

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

My memory is of flagship boards that changed music and were then developed into more affordable versions back in the day. DX7 > DX27, D50>D10 etc. Now it seems more like 'add a few more features' and slap an AT/EX/NEO/NANO/PLUS badge to keep it 'modern' and selling.

• Like 1

Roland looking to compete with Yamaha in the minimal upgrade department.

For example: Yamaha NP30, NP31, NP32 and NP35 = all pretty much the same keyboard.

Roland RD2000 and RD2000ex = the same keyboard.

Roland RD88 and RD88ex (and even RD08 to an extent) = pretty much the same keyboard.

I suppose the other way of looking at this is…. the quality is so high now across manufacturers, what else do we actually need?

I have a Korg Grandstage (original), a Kurzweil PC3a8 and a Hammond SK Pro. I’m happy and done. 

As I have said before, what I would love to see in terms of new products is some new and improved keyboard amps to compete with the Roland KC series for situations where you want to pick up one box with multiple channels and have the controls/dials within easy reach without hooking up a mixer or placing your powered speaker at an odd angle etc. QSC/EV or certainly Yamaha could surely market something as the ideal stage piano accessory. 

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

On 7/23/2024 at 3:30 AM, Keepitsimple said:

Haha yep it was me! I couldn't hold the secret much longer and i wanted to get at least some hints out!! 

The difference is basically a new silk screen with the EX logo and the new Supernatural Pianos. To my knowledge, the rest of the hardware is basically the same as the RD-88. 

My understanding is that it is the same hardware, but with two new acoustic piano sample sets, and new sampled piano patches.  I think the modeled piano technology remains the same, tho' perhaps with some new modeled piano patches.  And some cosmetic retouches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Piano Man said:

I suppose the other way of looking at this is…. the quality is so high now across manufacturers, what else do we actually need?

Bingo. That is the very real question.

Most folks already know the answers for their situation too.

At this point in technology, manufacturer upgrades in KB hardware won't make a difference in one's musicianship and/or ability to produce music.

The tools are already available. Just a matter of application to the craft.😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, The Piano Man said:

I have a Korg Grandstage (original), a Kurzweil PC3a8 and a Hammond SK Pro. I’m happy and done. 

Interesting that you reference the GS. In my opinion, that was a board ahead of its time. The best sound engines of the Kronos coupled with real time perfomance controls (albeit not that many), basic editing features and a great keyboard.

This is a piano designed for performance and the fact that its pianos are still being used in newer models shows that they had hit a celing for polyphony and sound quality even back then.

Probably why the GSX had absolutely zero impact for me when it was revealed. Same engines, same poly just a new skin and the ability to add an additional sound in splits and layers really. Literally nothing I needed and I could imagine the buyers remorse within days of buying one considering I have the original. Hell, how many of those are worth a few hundred pounds, certainly not thousands!!

For anyone who has stacked a few synths on the GS, or a piano and strings, those sounds are BIG. I cant image wanting another layer of sound (and eating into the poly)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ProfD said:

IMO, Innovation in KBs will be more software integration and connectivity since *new* onboard sounds seem to have been exhausted.😎

:yeahthat:I want to note that synths not only come well-endowed with sounds, but the add-ons are plentiful. Beefing up Chromaphone, Cherry Audio synths and M-Tron Pro with just a few added libraries has led me to exponential gains. I want for very little, aside from better inspiration!:coffee:  

Do what makes you happy this week.
So long as it’s not eating people.
Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis

10 hours ago, The Piano Man said:

Roland looking to compete with Yamaha in the minimal upgrade department.

For example: Yamaha NP30, NP31, NP32 and NP35 = all pretty much the same keyboard.

Roland RD2000 and RD2000ex = the same keyboard.

Roland RD88 and RD88ex (and even RD08 to an extent) = pretty much the same keyboard.

The RD-88 is crying out for a upgrade to its terrible user interface for editing scenes and effects. The Go Keys 3 is ten times better at a 3rd the price. Just a jog wheel would make a start. 

It also desperately needs the ability to import / export scenes and to restore just a specific scene rather than have to import an entire backup. A proper computer based librarian app would be ideal but a basic level of functionality as per the Fantom 0 would help. 

The RD-2000 is overdue for replacement with a Zen-Core based model. Again, even the go keys 3 now has this, surely the flagship stage piano should be brought onto Roland's current platform. 

None of this is revolutionary or exciting but  basic usability improvements would make a big difference. More than a new piano sound and an Ex sticker. 

As to the future, the big manufacturers must at some point make efforts to bring their sounds closer to modern computer based libraries. Korg, Yamaha and Roland led the way in revolutionary and high quality sounds. They were the reference. In the  1990s  I remember buying my Soundblaster Awe32 sound card for my Pc and being so disappointed in the sample sound quality. It was a million miles behind my Roland keyboard. I'm not sure when the complacency set in and these companies decided to sit back and let themselves be overtaken by a new wave of software companies such as NI. Whilst I think my Fantom sounds amazing for my live band use, and there is no beating the sounds of Roland Synths, it is way off the best quality available from software libraries for pianos, epianos, orchestral instruments, and so on. 

Whilst innovation in new sounds and synthesis has peaked, there is plenty of room of innovation in how high quality sample libraries can be made available within keyboards. Arturia's Astrolab has shown how far there is to go in having top quality sound that can load instantly, doesn't require noisey fans to keep the boards cool and can maintain a high level of polyphony. 

There is plenty the big manufacturers could be doing over the next decade that would keep me interested, even if they don't invent a new type of synthesis. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ibarch said:

The RD-2000 is overdue for replacement with a Zen-Core based model. Again, even the go keys 3 now has this, surely the flagship stage piano should be brought onto Roland's current platform.

In terms of sampled acoustic instruments, though, I'm not sure Zen-core sounds are better. If anyone has an RD-2000 and a zencore-based Roland, I'd be curious about how similar patches compare.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

13 minutes ago, The Piano Man said:

Korg is ahead of Roland now for replication of acoustic piano sounds, in my opinion.

Where does that leave Yamaha...and Nord?