Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wurlybird??

10 hours ago, cherryDan said:

Hi guys,

I just wanted to chime in and say that the Leslie simulation in Wurlybird is a full-blown Leslie emulation, and is not an attempt in any way to recreate the Rotosphere. The pedal artwork was just an attempt to put the Leslie simulation into a familiar-ish housing. Artistic license, if you will.

I hope that helps clear things up!

Dan

Thanks so much for clarifying! 

This had me confused (as you can tell from my question, i haven’t had a chance to really listen to the demos yet). 

It seemed oddly specific. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

10 hours ago, Steve Nathan said:

It's pretty typical with Wurlies to run them through Guitar Pedals.  I often ran mine through a Menatone "Top Boost in a Can" for example, and I remember using MXRs and similar over the years.  Though I get your point, FWIW, some of us don't care for the Vent.  It was never my first choice for a Leslie Sim pedal.  

What’s your preference? 

I used a borrowed vent a few weeks ago and found it rather good, but the setup together with the borrowed Uhl HX3 was a bit uninspiring (I hadn’t tweaked the sound at all, though, which makes all the difference, I know).

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

On 7/9/2024 at 5:06 PM, Mike Martin said:

We actually sampled both this 140B and a 200A. The reality is his 200A was in better, almost perfect condition. We sampled it first and it sounded really good, but then we sampled the 140B. It was very clear that the character of this instrument was shining through.

You and @cherryDan should release the 200A, as well. If it was very clean and in perfect condition, it would be a perfect compliment to this 140B.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, analogika said:

Thanks so much for clarifying! 

This had me confused (as you can tell from my question, i haven’t had a chance to really listen to the demos yet). 

It seemed oddly specific. 

I now see that I didn’t understand the specificity of your question. Glad you got the right answer.  

• Love 1

I just did something I normally would not do in buying this. Why? Because of nostalgia. In the mid '60's I bought and played a Wurlitzer 140B for several years. It was problematic at times. It was a bit noisy. If you broke a reed and bought a replacement, it would be out of tune, so you would either have to file it down or add bit of solder. I could do neither but I had a good repairman.

But I loved it !I learned not to strike it so hard that I broke reeds. 

When I moved from Boston to LA in 1970, I sold it and bought a Wurlitzer 200. It arguably was better, quieter, easier to pack up and down for gigs, etc. But there was a soulfulness to the 140 B the it didn't quite have. I sold it long ago, which I regret though.

That said I have great Wurlitzer emulation with AcousticSamples V-Reeds, Neo Soul Keys, Logic Pro's Vintage piano, and the ones in my two Dexibell keyboards. When I download the demo for this one and compare it, it sounds a bit different, but not night and day from what I can make V-Reeds sound like.

So why did I buy it?
1. It's only $39.
2. I love Cherry Audio as a company.
3. When I look at the UI as I am playing, I find myself smiling.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

BTW, its a mere 380 mb, a system load so small as to rival physical modelers. I heart tight coding, especially in sample-based instruments.

• Like 1

"Let there be dancing in the streets,
   drinking in the saloons and
    necking in the parlors! Play, Don!"
       ~ Groucho Marx    

I bought it for $24 tonight using loyalty vouchers at A-D, and am hoping to have time tomorrow to start working with it some.

• Love 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to chime in. Tonight I finally had a chance to install it. Damn, that thing barks. Cuts like a Sawzall through a Taco Bell bean burrito. Incredible work, Mike, and everybody at Cherry Audio. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Good price, small size! Sounds decent too.  Equaled by the pricier Keyscape (model 140b)

Bang4buck on virtual 200A models is AcousticSamples V-Reed but I think CA's latest can supersede.

Also, Dear Cherry Audio
Your Pro Soloist is fantastic but PLEASE consider the earlier model (ARP 2700 / Soloist).

• Like 1

How about an IOS version?

• Like 3

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Just picked this up yesterday, based on this thread!

Well done Mike, sounds fantastic. Added effects are a lot of fun!

• Love 1

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com