Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SynthGPT - text query to synth patch

Thanks for the link, was an interesting watch. I'd be gobsmacked if the NIs and Arturia's of the worlds aren't close to releasing something like this as well. I can see its utility as an assistant...

Probably been done already, but I'm thinking -

AI analysis of most popular chord progressions used in hit songs, 

AI analysis of most popular melodic intervals for vocals and leads used in hit songs,

AI analysis of rhythms used in hit songs, etc., etc.

Remember - you read it here first.  🤣

Yeah, here's the thing for me....

I never really know what I'm looking for until I find it :)  Not that often anyway.   it's why instruments with a ton of presets are more valued for me.   Sure if I have something specific in mind I'll start with INIT and go, but typically I'll get inspiration from some patch and tweak it/automate aspects of it.

Ironically, since I don't use VSTs live, making cover patches are where I'd maybe use something like that.   "Give me a split patch for Footloose with an organ layered with fm synth on the left, and a synth brass patch on the right, split on C4" that type of thing.*  I just spent a bunch of time doing just that, albeit "close enough for rock and roll" is something I live by so it's hardly something I agonize over.    I long ago realized that unless something sounds really out there/bad, I'm the only one who will care about my patches.

*Even if the sounds weren't exactly right, having a patch created for me with placeholder zones would be helpful!

Only made it a few minutes in before getting bored. Does this guy not know any names of actual synths or would typing a prompt for say “Moog Lead” be copyright infringement (maybe he does at some point and I didn’t get far enough along)? I know on the art side none of the big AI companies give a sh&t about stealing from artists, assuming it will be the same in synth land as well.

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

Even cooler would be an AI patch generator that is synth agnostic, "Synth: Roland D50, Sound: Strings that would be suitable for a murder scene in the scottish hills".

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

On the serious side, I do enjoy "randomizer" features in plugins.   A few that I've owned or demoed have had this.   For example, Omnisphere has it for the Orb and maybe other areas.  Sure, you get less than pleasing results most of the time :)    Again this is sort of the opposite premise to having something specific in mind that your robot friend creates for you.

18 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

“...Just describe the sound you would like and SynthGPT will give you 100 options to choose from.”

Spectrasonics Omnisphere has 10k sounds that can be filtered.  It's basically the same thing.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

49 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Keyscape Omnisphere has 10k sounds that can be filtered.  It's basically the same thing.🤣😎

Practically, perhaps.  But not necessarily the same.   Of course, Spectrasonics has an enourmous library and a reputation for high quality patches.  So in that regard it is preferable to many other offerings.   It won't be long before Omnisphere has a language model implemented to assist in finding what you're looking for.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

41 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Practically, perhaps.  But not necessarily the same.   Of course, Spectrasonics has an enourmous library and a reputation for high quality patches.  So in that regard it is preferable to many other offerings.   It won't be long before Omnisphere has a language model implemented to assist in finding what you're looking for.  

Oops...Spectrasonics is the company name...Keyscape is another product.😁

Surely, filtering queries in Omnisphere will seem like using magnetic media for storage compared to synthGPT. 

The Omnisphere language model would definitely cut down on typing the filtering query.

However, the end result will be the same...100 similar sounding patches to sift through when any one of them will do.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

37 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Oops...Spectrasonics is the company name...Keyscape is another product.😁

Surely, filtering queries in Omnisphere will seem like using magnetic media for storage compared to synthGPT. 

The Omnisphere language model would definitely cut down on typing the filtering query.

However, the end result will be the same...100 similar sounding patches to sift through when any one of them will do.🤣😎

It’s all basically Omnisphere - same sample playback engine for multiple products.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

5 hours ago, ProfD said:

Exactly. It took (mumble) years for me to learn it, but as much as some of us yearn for wild new sounds from Venus, the winning patch for job X is the one you sculpt yourself. No one is ever 100% conversant with everything a synth will do. Instead, you come to know where to look for sounds that are in the ball park and how to massage them. You also learn that typing in "Moog bass" will get 1200 responses. 🤨

I'm still intrigued by Synplant's "AI" approach, but so far, no AI has shown me a better way to tackle Art. Take that, Big Tech!   

Do what makes you happy this week.
So long as it’s not eating people.
Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis