Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SONY close to acquiring Queen catalog at $1.27b

The Queen catalog brings in revenues of $49M USD per year. 

At that rate, it will take almost a quarter-century just to break even on the $1.2B dollar purchase. 

As Interesting investment especially when AI comes down the pike capable of producing  soundalikes.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Following the trend the last weeks I am now sharing one of my favourite YouTubers, who talks about the subject and gives some interesting perspectives.

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

56 minutes ago, ProfD said:

At that rate, it will take almost a quarter-century just to break even on the $1.2B dollar purchase.....

I wonder how much of that $49M revenue goes to the distributor / music company (is it Sony today?), and how much of that goes to the current copyright holder?

Just wait until SONY creates a once in a lifetime Queen live show in the MSG Sphere...

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

At that rate, it will take almost a quarter-century just to break even on the $1.2B dollar purchase. 

As Interesting investment especially when AI comes down the pike capable of producing  soundalikes.😎

I'm struggling with the math too...

If I was a Sony shareholder, I'd demand they instead pursue some other projects that had a positive return in say -- 5 to 7 years, but not 25!

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Among things, merchandise rights are included as well, you can be sure they have a pretty good idea about how to exploit this brand and get their ROI, and sum, pretty darn quick!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

22 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

Among things, merchandise rights are included as well, you can be sure they have a pretty good idea about how to exploit this brand and get their ROI, and sum, pretty darn quick!

Really.  I don't see Queen maintaining or gaining enough enough fans to bring in 2.5 times more revenue per year even over a 10-year period.   

It would take a few more Queen movies, Queen stage plays, Queen TV show, Queen action figures and dolls, Queen theme park, Queen subscription cable channel and a Queen magazine to generate a significant ROI on that $1.2B investment in a shorter period of time.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Seeing this reminded me of recent article how UMG the gianitic music empire has changed it's focus to acquiring songwriter copyrights more than mechanical copyright.   That is where they see large sum of money to be made in the future.    This sounds like the same thing like many big artists buy the catalogs of early artist to get the songwriter copyrights.     

Now with all the AI and sampling going on I started wondering if they see lawsuits to bring potential changes in mechanical copyright, that mechanical copyright will be of less an less value so the real money is in songwriter copyright.   Future money is in the song catalog,  trademarks,  product branding deals.   I remember when I worked at the church and there were many big name music artists that were members.   They said the money isn't in the music anymore the money is in endorsements and branding. 

57 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Really.  I don't see Queen maintaining or gaining enough enough fans to bring in 2.5 times more revenue per year even over a 10-year period.   

It would take a few more Queen movies, Queen stage plays, Queen TV show, Queen action figures and dolls, Queen theme park, Queen subscription cable channel and a Queen magazine to generate a significant ROI on that $1.2B investment in a shorter period of time.😁😎

Well, let's start here:

https://www.statista.com/outlook/amo/media/music-radio-podcasts/digital-music/music-streaming/worldwide#revenue

We're still just in the beginning of streaming, so I can imagine they've forcasted increasting royalties for the coming decade, and for sure, they will re-launch the brand (Queen) in various ways to assure growth of new consumers as well, be so sure!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

2 hours ago, mate stubb said:

Great. Another piece of my formative years will now be used against me to sell me crap.

Yep, totally!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I think it speaks volumes to the ascendancy of Queen into the pantheon of 20th Century bands. This is just personal observation, but I think they're bigger now than when Freddie Mercury was alive. 

Still this is an awfully high figure for a catalog that's not that deep when it comes to peoples' familiarity with the material today.  If you ask the average person to name some Queen songs, most would rattle off Bohemian Rhapsody and We Are The Champions. Then maybe some could continue to Crazy Little Thing, Under Pressure and Somebody To Love? After that, many would be stumped without some hints. Just my opinion based on running karaoke and being a DJ. 

Edit: Since many of us (me included) are older in here, I'm referring to the key marketing demographic of 18-35. But you could stretch that to 50, and I think it would still apply. 

2 hours ago, Still VanDerGraaf said:

What a way to ruin the artistic merit of your music. They 100% DO NOT need the money. 

Much less hassle for their kids to handle a bank account than the estate of the brand... (not talking about the ad...)

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

18 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

Much less hassle for their kids to handle a bank account than the estate of the brand... (not talking about the ad...)

So much of this comes down to estate planning for sure. 

All of these artists are in their 70's, so whether Dylan (80's), Bruce (70's), Queen, they're all being advised by their teams to start thinking about what they leave to their heirs. And having the understanding of and nuances of publishing, master recordings, name and likeness etc. is a lot to leave your family to deal with when that's well outside of their probable skill-set or knowledge. 

Plus the numbers and the infrastructure over the last few years for this sort of thing has made it a no-brainer. Their kids, grandkids, great grandkids et al are set....

• Like 3

On 7/9/2024 at 7:47 PM, zxcvbnm098 said:

So much of this comes down to estate planning for sure. 

All of these artists are in their 70's, so whether Dylan (80's), Bruce (70's), Queen, they're all being advised by their teams to start thinking about what they leave to their heirs. And having the understanding of and nuances of publishing, master recordings, name and likeness etc. is a lot to leave your family to deal with when that's well outside of their probable skill-set or knowledge. 

Plus the numbers and the infrastructure over the last few years for this sort of thing has made it a no-brainer. Their kids, grandkids, great grandkids et al are set....

If you have a couple of millions and a good financial advisor setting your investments right, you'll be good for the rest of your life doing whatever you want every day.

If you inherit 200-300 big ones from your rockstar parent, you'll have a jetset life for the rest of you days, and you can provide the same thing to your kids lives as well.

Not even touching the base capital restructuring the assets in a way that just makes the capital work hard for you.

Both my non rockstar parents are long gone and still my bank account is echoing close to empty! 🤣🤣🤣

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

This is the key paragraph (bold mine):

<<Sony is understood to be buying the band’s global music publishing rights, their ‘name and likeness’ rights, plus their recorded music interests — including their recording copyrights outside of North America, where their masters are owned by Disney Music Group.>>

They literally "bought" Freddie part and parcel. Queen's popularity outside of North America is staggering. Worldwide Freddie Mercury/Queen avatar shows to follow soon I'd imagine. 

• Like 1

The deal also includes merch rights...

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

• 3 weeks later...

These guys already have a hefty net worth, and for sure some great investment partners to keep it like that. With this deal their next generations families will never need to worry about their financial situation unless they do something really stupid..

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

I had no idea about this though:

"Disney initially licensed the catalog in 1990 for $10 million, Disney acquired the band's North American recorded-music rights for an unknown price sometime in the 2000s and would retain them. But any remaining royalties that the musicians still own would now go to Sony."

So for Sony it's a pretty limited deal I would claim.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

5 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

I had no idea about this though:

"Disney initially licensed the catalog in 1990 for $10 million, Disney acquired the band's North American recorded-music rights for an unknown price sometime in the 2000s and would retain them. But any remaining royalties that the musicians still own would now go to Sony."

So for Sony it's a pretty limited deal I would claim.

They're much bigger outside of the US. Plus, I think they're getting name and likeness worldwide? That's the biggee in this deal....

https://abbavoyage.com

I'm sure a "Queen Voyage" is not far behind now......

3 minutes ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

They're much bigger outside of the US. Plus, I think they're getting name and likeness worldwide? That's the biggee in this deal....

https://abbavoyage.com

I'm sure a "Queen Voyage" is not far behind now......

I was just surprised, had no idea Disney already had a chunk of their IP rights!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

I think Sony is betting that certain songwriters have created the modern equivalent of classical music, and that some songs will endure for longer than the usual pop song shelf life. 

Then again, Sony also bet on Minidisc, the Aibo robotic dog, Mylo personal communicator, BMG RootKit, and the Sony Airboard portable TV/internet device.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anderton said:

Then again, Sony also bet on Minidisc, the Aibo robotic dog, Mylo personal communicator, BMG RootKit, and the Sony Airboard portable TV/internet device.

Right. Then, there is loss leader and tax write-offs.🤣😎

PD