Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trying to make sense of iPad generations

It may be time to replace my 1st gen iPad Pro 12".  I dropped it, glass is cracked, but the screen protector is keeping it functional for now.

Before I dive into what the various generations provide (speed, headphone jack or not, etc.), I'm curious if some here have already done the comparison shopping.

I need a large screen for vision, but don't necessarily need to stick with 12". While i use it for charts and sheet music, if the CPU is fast enough would be interested in hosting Korg Module or similar as a sound source as well. 

Any guidance on the different generations...which are viable music devices, which should be avoided, and such?

Tim

9 minutes ago, timwat said:

It may be time to replace my 1st gen iPad Pro 12".  I dropped it, glass is cracked, but the screen protector is keeping it functional for now.

Before I dive into what the various generations provide (speed, headphone jack or not, etc.), I'm curious if some here have already done the comparison shopping.

I need a large screen for vision, but don't necessarily need to stick with 12". While i use it for charts and sheet music, if the CPU is fast enough would be interested in hosting Korg Module or similar as a sound source as well. 

Any guidance on the different generations...which are viable music devices, which should be avoided, and such?

Tim

As you need the larger screen, iPad Pro Gen 5 and later gives you the M processor which is a power house (I have the Air M1.. rocket...).

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

I would jump to a Gen 9. It still has the headphone jack and the OS is just one major release behind but the price is coming down fast because Gen 10 has been out for a few years now. The 9 is powerful enough to run more instruments than you'll want. 

FunMachine.

Gen 9 was last to have headphone jack, M chip will future proof you, but Korg Module will run on the original iPad Air so anything from 9th gen onwards will be more than enough. Consider a last gen Pro (M2) at a bargain price, or an Air. They will have USB C so you won’t need the Apple Camera Connection Kit. Latest iPad Pro is M4 and overkill for just about anything unless it’s your computer replacement.

@Baldwin Funster iPad 9 is supported in latest OS, I’m running the 18 beta on it. I have the M2 Pro and it’s still ludicrously fast. It runs anything I throw at it with ease, including Logic. I use the iPad 9 as a surf and sound module, and it’s never faltered either. But, AI and other new advances are now requiring Apple M class silicon so best to get something with M1 or M2 if you don’t want to splash on the latest M4.

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Korg Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 13 M4, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

4 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

There’s a current iPad Air that is 12” and likely plenty for your needs.  

I just learnt there's a 13" Air M2 too... 🔥🔥🔥

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

I bought the 9th Gen, 256GB a few weeks ago, and found out that the iPad is hardwired to 48kHz, so anytime I play any audio in Cubasis that was recorded at 44.1kHz, a floating balloon appears in the top left corner telling me that my file is being converted to 48kHz. It's very quick, but I wish it would leave my files alone. 

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Just now, Synthaholic said:

I bought the 9th Gen, 256GB a few weeks ago, and found out that the iPad is hardwired to 48kHz, so anytime I play any audio in Cubasis that was recorded at 44.1kHz, a floating balloon appears in the top left corner telling me that my file is being converted to 48kHz. It's very quick, but I wish it would leave my files alone. 

What you describe is strange.   What software are you playing the bounced file back with?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

29 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

What you describe is strange.   What software are you playing the bounced file back with?

Created on Cubasis 2 (2.8.6) on my iPad Pro 12x9 (2nd Gen) and played back on the same version of Cubasis on the 9th Gen.

EDIT TO ADD:

When I try to reset Cubasis in the SETTINGS I get this error:

a70338c5e863626896533b151a1c32511af4330a.thumb.png.3e34b91f58b5625186e168ca55bf5e57.png

I asked Steinberg about all of this and they say it's normal, due to the iPad hardwiring to 48kHz.  🤷‍♀️

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

11 minutes ago, Synthaholic said:

Created on Cubasis 2 (2.8.6) on my iPad Pro 12x9 (2nd Gen) and played back on the same version of Cubasis on the 9th Gen.

EDIT TO ADD:

When I try to reset Cubasis in the SETTINGS I get this error:

a70338c5e863626896533b151a1c32511af4330a.thumb.png.3e34b91f58b5625186e168ca55bf5e57.png

I asked Steinberg about all of this and they say it's normal, due to the iPad hardwiring to 48kHz.  🤷‍♀️

You’re just using the internal audio right?  No interface?  

And if you bounce the project to stereo 16bit/44.1 wav or 24bit/96k or something and save it to Files won’t iOS just play it back?   Or using a media player app like VLC - it surely will just play the file back without conversion.  

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vlc-media-player/id650377962

I see this topic has come up before - it’s Steinberg working around a performance issue they found with their software and 3rd Gen iPads.  

“With the release of version 2.7, Cubasis only allows you to select sample rates that are supported by the hardware.

The reason for this change is that the automatic sample rate conversion by iOS results in increased CPU usage, which would have lead to issues like crackling on the iPad Pro 3rd gen. models.

The available sample rates are dictated by the hardware of the iPad device in use. For example, the 2018 iPad Pro models (3rd gen) only support 48kHz with the internal speakers and mic, unless external hardware is connected, whereas other iPads support 44.1 and 48 kHz.” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I see this topic has come up before - it’s Steinberg working around a performance issue they found with their software and 3rd Gen iPads.  

“With the release of version 2.7, Cubasis only allows you to select sample rates that are supported by the hardware.

The reason for this change is that the automatic sample rate conversion by iOS results in increased CPU usage, which would have lead to issues like crackling on the iPad Pro 3rd gen. models.

The available sample rates are dictated by the hardware of the iPad device in use. For example, the 2018 iPad Pro models (3rd gen) only support 48kHz with the internal speakers and mic, unless external hardware is connected, whereas other iPads support 44.1 and 48 kHz.” 

Well, that seems to have solved it! Thanks. It still sucks.

Yes, I'm only using the headphone jack. I don't really want to bring my MOTU UltraLite to gigs.

I have been gigging with a 2021 iPad pro 12.9” for the last three years, and it is still an exceptional device. The super bright high contrast miniLED screen is perfect for reading charts and runs all my music software brilliantly. 

In fact, I just returned the new 13 inch M4 iPad pro after giving it a test run for 14 days. The new tandem OLED has a slightly brighter screen than my M1. The extra screen brightness and contrast is totally unnecessary for the software that I use. I was waiting for the new OS announcement to make a final decision and after learning that my M1 will run the new AI OS I decided not to keep the M4.   

If I was doing serious high def video editing on it I may have kept it. But even then it’s only about 30% quicker. Everything else is pretty comparable. 

I also found it too thin and light. And after you put it in its case (which you can’t use an old 12.9” that I already own) the weight difference is pretty slight. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I concur that anything M1 or higher is the way to go, for future-proofing. A lot of future functionality will be limited to those processors, eventually. Final Cut Pro already requires an M1. Even if that's not in your field of activity, it should be an indication of where things are headed. 

The stem splitter in Logic Pro for iPad requires an M1, the other new functions are "M1 or newer recommended". 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

The great GOOGLE reports that my 9 Gen has a Bionic A13 chip. I'm not sure where the Bio part comes from. Steve Austin? 

Anyways it's going to be somewhat less powerfull than some apple M chip but it's certainly powerful enough for fairly advanced keyboard app usage. 

• Like 2

FunMachine.

You learn something new every day I guess. My AUM session is running at 48K on my iPad 9G, despite being set to 44.1. AUM gives me this message: "The current sample rate is limited to the capabilities of the connected audio interface, and is global for all running apps." This is the case both when I use the iPad's headphone out and when I use my Korg Liano as an audio output interface via the CCK. I have one other interface I can try this with, my MOTU Microbook IIc.

What's surprising is that all the instruments I used Logic's auto-sampler plugin to transfer to my iPad were done at 44.1K. My lowly 9G must be doing real-time sample rate converting when I'm playing these instruments – with the buffer set to 64 samples, and my CPU meter rarely hitting 30%.

I agree an iPad with an M chip is great future proofing and there does appear to be some interesting possibilites with AI tech that might help with music making (if it doesn't replace us all!). I could be locked out of that – but as far as doing gigs, this 9G has all the juice I need.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

I agree an iPad with an M chip is great future proofing and there does appear to be some interesting possibilites with AI tech that might help with music making (if it doesn't replace us all!). I could be locked out of that – but as far as doing gigs, this 9G has all the juice I need.

Which is why I returned my M4 iPad Pro. 

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to drop this in here, but knowing that some members might be looking for a Gen 9 with the headphone out (which are now getting harder to find new), I am selling mine in the UK. Under warranty until September 2024, almost 99% battery health, couple of cases and can throw in a CCK.

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Korg Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 13 M4, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I just bought the 11” Pro M4 iPad.

imwas upgrading from a 6 year old model and the difference is amazing. It’s so fast, the screen is gorgeous and the four internal speakers sound great. One of the reasons I stretched the budget was to somewhat future proof my purchase.

I don’t use software instruments, but wanted to get into Dorico on the iPad. So far, it’s been wonderful. 

• Like 1

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• 2 weeks later...

11-inch iPad Pro 2022 128GB

120Hz screen | Apple M2 chip | USB‑C with Thunderbolt | Face ID | LiDAR Scanner

Reg $799, now $599 at Best Buy