Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Beato - Music is Too Easy to Make

ABECK

Way back when I did give some thought to making a living as a writer, but realized "hey, any fool can put words to paper". 

The hard part is having something important to say.

Same with music -- anyone can play the notes.  Do they have something important to say?

• Like 2

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

The process of making music has always been relatively easy especially among the gifted and talented and trained.

Selling music has always been the hardest part because it requires a team of people and a combination of marketing, promotion and luck.😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

A lot of you seem to love this Beato guy....I do not. I tried to listen to this clip and had to turn it off. Was he addressing us from his personal gym in the latter part of this video ?  I do not agree that music was ever easy to make. And the fact that people no longer worship recordings as religious objects? That is gone....there are many reasons why but one place to start is the price of tickets to hear major artists in concert. I do not respect this person and strongly wish his videos would stop popping up so frequently in my YouTube search. I sadly miss Joe Chambers from Musicians Hall of Fame who never went off on crazy rants like this.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

23 minutes ago, mrk7421 said:

A lot of you seem to love this Beato guy....I do not. I tried to listen to this clip and had to turn it off. Was he addressing us from his personal gym in the latter part of this video ?  I do not agree that music was ever easy to make. And the fact that people no longer worship recordings as religious objects? That is gone....there are many reasons why but one place to start is the price of tickets to hear major artists in concert. I do not respect this person and strongly wish his videos would stop popping up so frequently in my YouTube search. I sadly miss Joe Chambers from Musicians Hall of Fame who never went off on crazy rants like this.

I don’t know why Rick offends you so much. This is a very important subject that relates to all of the creative arts. AI and the ease of accessing all the art that was created in the past, has made creating new works of art extremely easy.

It is debatable on how much of this new art is original to the current artist, considering that the models used in AI consist of all the previous original art that it’s in its libraries. 

Rick is bringing this to the attention of consumers of music who may not know how this works. They may not know the danger of when it’s abused and used more as a plagiarism device than as a tool for creativity.

It’s called education.  And to me, it’s vital and necessary.  

• Like 6

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

5 hours ago, mrk7421 said:

And the fact that people no longer worship recordings as religious objects? That is gone....there are many reasons why but one place to start is the price of tickets to hear major artists in concert. 

Times have changed along with technology.  Music is competing with other forms of entertainment. 

Gone are the days when folks sat around listening to vinyl, tapes and CDs for hours at a time. 

Younger generations of people have video games, cable TV channels, sports, streaming and social media, etc.

As a result, the music industry has changed to reflect it in terms of marketing and distribution. 

IMO, instead of recordings, I believe live performance at the local level will be eminent domain of the *best* music as we know it. 😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I am 100% on board with Rick on this topic. Of course I'm old and my opinion doesn't matter. However, it's interesting to see the negative reactions to Rick - which always pop up anytime there's a thread or video with his name attached. What's it about? Resentment that someone with a contrary opinion is so popular? Defensiveness at hearing someone accurately describe the shortcomings and reliance on tech that so many lesser musicians use to make their "product"? I don't know, it just seems weird that his content spurs such strong reactions.

• Like 6

I think this video by Beato shows he's out of touch with modern music world.  When he was in music as a songwriter and producer was decades ago.    Yes modern tools are making it easy for people to write songs without training, but they are still using the main tool of all their ears.    Then consumers are using their ears to decide what they like and don't like.   So doesn't matter how someone created a song their background or tools, it just do people like it and will pay to hear it.   Could be a fluke or as termed "a one hit wonder" or maybe that person can keep making more music people will buy or these days stream.   

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Docbop said:

Then consumers are using their ears to decide what they like and don't like.   So doesn't matter how someone created a song their background or tools, it just do people like it and will pay to hear it. 

But I think consumers are often feeling that music is worse than before.

2 minutes ago, Docbop said:

So doesn't matter how someone created a song their background or tools, it just do people like it and will pay to hear it.   

So if all music in the future is created by AI and that's what people like, is that a good thing?  That's what scares me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ABECK said:

So if all music in the future is created by AI and that's what people like, is that a good thing?  That's what scares me.

Want a new Beatles album?... AI can do that as well. 

• Sad 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

1 minute ago, HammondDave said:

100%  Of course, you won't know it's AI.  It'll be packaged and sold as if it were created by the genius writing team of "insert name of marketable artist here."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ABECK said:

As I said here and other places AI is a tool just like the robotics that replaced worker on assembly lines.   What AI i going to do is raise the bar for who can make a living in music.  The truly creative will still be making great music, but the average working class person better be upping their skills or looking for another path to make money.   It's already started not from AI but from what Beato talks about people with no training or skills those people are creating and licensing music for TV shows, commercials, and similar work.   Those are also the people AI will eventually eat away at the jobs in those markets.   That's what's been going on from horses to cars, from factory worker to robotics and now it starting into generating music.   People have to figure out where they are in the musical food chain and decide can I sharpen my skills to be one of te few at the top or do I need to look for other opportunities or music or elsewhere.   Bottom line look for jobs that require a person to physically interact will another person those are the safe zones from AI and robotics. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

What I see is coming next in AI is recording  AI tracking and mixing.   Probably not a final mix, but good enough for many close enough that some final tweaking is all that is needed by others.    Already AI tools for mastering.   Human are going to have to up their game to compete with AI in the future. 

1 hour ago, mrk7421 said:

I too like Joe Chambers but I feel Rick is usually on point on this subject matter and has a sincere viewpoint in his videos. I'm a boomer but by gads we played music to the best of our individual skills. Even though parts were comped and punched in, the finished work represented the actual player or vocalist.

Now in many cases, the components of a hit tune are so manipulated that there is not much representation of the original musician left. If the slice and dicers want to call themselves producers or editors, I'm OK with it. Just don't call yourselves musicians.

• Like 1

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, now serving the Lord in Bryant AR: '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie)

The AI point is a fair one. AI "art" is anything but.

That said...Beato strikes me as a bit of a get-off-my-lawn-er about music. Fact is that, in every era, "good" music (for lack of a less subjective term) has always been made, and has always been available to those who seek it out.

On the flipside, schlocky pop has always sold well. Listen to this shit and tell me it wasn't "easy to make".

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, SMcD said:

That said...Beato strikes me as a bit of a get-off-my-lawn-er about music.

I can see that.  We all probably have a bit of that (well, anyone born when cigarette machines were easily accessible to kids).  

He does back up his opinions with well crafted thoughts, so at least he puts the effort in.  

1 hour ago, ABECK said:

I'm not trying to be a guardian of the past.  I understand the needs and benefits of technology innovations.  AI can both benefit AND replace artists.  Robotics did not force assembly line workers to up their game.  It replaced them.  

No assembly line worker had to up their knowledge to be the people installing and maintaining robotics and some studied and worked on teams designing robotics using their knowledge from past doing it by hand.     I was a SysAdmin and over time say much of my job go away because sensors in server and monitoring tools replaced having fully trained people onsite.  It moved to fewer SysAdmins who worked remotely handling more systems, and then on site what were referred to as "hands and feet" techs to do the physical work guided by a remote SysAdmin.  I  to extend my working until I decided to retired I got into DevOps  developing systems to doing things I used to do, so a IT guy could just run one my tools and being a tool did the job the same way every time not forgetting any steps.   All they had to do was make sure thing were in place and ready, run the tool, then check all worked as expected.   Life keeps moving forward and streamlining processes. 

20 minutes ago, ABECK said:

I can see that.  We all probably have a bit of that (well, anyone born when cigarette machines were easily accessible to kids).  

He does back up his opinions with well crafted thoughts, so at least he puts the effort in.  

I tend to take his channel with a grain of salt and bottle of Jameson Dark as well but we also might want to keep in mind he is delivering his content to a younger gen in regard to slices of what was. This is a good thing.  But yeah, Beato's not where I head first in YouTubeville.

2 hours ago, HammondDave said:

Only if it stood to make the producers a ton of money. 

There is not enough interest alive to make that AI effort a worthwhile endeavor.  Same goes for any pre-millenium artist or band.

OTOH, a Taylor Swift tour brings in a billion bucks.  She might be the template for an AI knock-off.😁😎

PD

3 hours ago, K K said:

+1

I mean... Is this the Keyboard Corner or the Beato Corner ?

You know what I do when I see a thread that doesn't interest me? Nothing! Because it doesn't interest me and I don't click into it.

If you don't like Beato, then maybe stop clicking into these threads an complaining about it. I don't think every single topic has to be about something that you personally love.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Franz Schiller said:

You know what I do when I see a thread that doesn't interest me? Nothing! Because it doesn't interest me and I don't click into it.

If you don't like Beato, then maybe stop clicking into these threads an complaining about it. I don't think every single topic has to be about something that you personally love.

i am so tired of people complaining about Rick and his “style”. Hey, I don’t like Iron Maiden’s style, and guess what… I don’t listen to them. Seems like so many people are so combative over such trivial things. Here is someone presenting a very relevant and timely intellectual argument to a large group of artists, and instead of responding to the subject presented, they complain about his style. 

• Like 2

I'm just amazed that more than two dozen posts in, the usual suspects of political correctness policing still haven't jumped on the title of this video.

Let me save them the hassle of typing: "Music Is Getting Worse? According to whom? Boomers and GenXes like this 60 yr old know-it-all?" 😃

I think Beato is in danger of monopolizing the interview market. If you want to see a bad Beato interview listen to the one he did with Chuck Rainey where he's over there laughing when things ain't funny......to quote Mose Allison I try hard to avoid him though because I know he is going to upset me. And he's constantly begging for money so he can interview his dream guests. I know some of you guys think I am supposed to like him....how can I when he is showing off his personal gym ?And as far as I am concerned this is not education when he is demonstrating guitar licks but not teaching them at anywhere near learnable tempos. If Frank Zappa were alive today.....some of you would probably be saying that he shouldn't be speaking out. I can't demand that people see what I see.....I just wish his stuff would stop  showing up when I search YouTube.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrk7421 said:

I think Beato is in danger of monopolizing the interview market. If you want to see a bad Beato interview listen to the one he did with Chuck Rainey where he's over there laughing when things ain't funny......to quote Mose Allison I try hard to avoid him though because I know he is going to upset me. And he's constantly begging for money so he can interview his dream guests. I know some of you guys think I am supposed to like him....how can I when he is showing off his personal gym ?And as far as I am concerned this is not education when he is demonstrating guitar licks but not teaching them at anywhere near learnable tempos. If Frank Zappa were alive today.....some of you would probably be saying that he shouldn't be speaking out. I can't demand that people see what I see.....I just wish his stuff would stop  showing up when I search YouTube.

You can click the 3 dots and diminish seeing them (select Not Interested and or thumb down, do not recommend this channel).

• Like 1