Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NYT Says Taylor Swift Is Bigger Than The Beatles!? WTF

• Like 1

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Sure. Taylor Swift is bigger than every other act past and present to her fans, er, Swifties. NYT must be referring to them.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

48 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Sure. Taylor Swift is bigger than every other act past and present to her fans, er, Swifties. NYT must be referring to them.😁😎

They could be talking $$$$.  When the Beatles started not only were they not that business savvy neither were the people managing them, so they made some bad business deals.   Even more bad deal when they created Apple Music and it sub businesses.    Lennon would of gone broke if not for Yoko taking over handling his money and investing for him. She stopped John from giving money to anyone ask for $$ for some cause.   People can say what they want about Yoko, but she did take care of John so he could live how he wanted.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Docbop said:

They could be talking $$$$. 

What you say makes a lot of sense. Cultural impact is not the same as financial impact. The world population has doubled since the Beatles.

We should also be open to the possibility that Taylor Swift's cultural impact will be better assessed in a decade or two, and by a different demographic from most of us here at KC. 

image.thumb.png.12a7dd4c1cb011b02fda9480f3943a0a.png

What a bummer for her, imagine if CD sales still had been going on... She'd been on top of the tops in global fortune then..

:D

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

7 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

What a bummer for her, imagine if CD sales still had been going on... She'd been on top of the tops in global fortune then..

:D

Isn't she at the top in fortune anyway? As a musician I mean ... 😅

I imagine that there could be a baby born this year who will arrive as a star in a decade or two, blowing away all the records. We will be scratching our heads over that kid then ...

18 minutes ago, Tusker said:

Isn't she at the top in fortune anyway? As a musician I mean ... 😅

I imagine that there could be a baby born this year who will arrive as a star in a decade or two, blowing away all the records. We will be scratching our heads over that kid then ...

Even if she probably does quite well on streaming, I am sure a huge part comes from actual radio/tv play royalites as she's that big and probably on rotation everywhere all the time...

Just imagine with a bunch of CD/DVD etc. sales ....

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

56 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

Just imagine with a bunch of CD/DVD etc. sales ....

It't not important to me, but if it's important to you ... 😅

image.thumb.png.26e4f50a748931e9163eb2fda4fa2016.png

If Taylor didn't look like a Catwalk supermodel and was 5' 3" and weighed 170 lbs., she'd probably be slinging hash in her hometown's Waffle House.

Having said that, this old man does enjoy videos of her booty shaking performances, even with the sound off.  Youza...

Sorry for being a misogynistic objectifying dirty old man. But as Popeye the Sailor said, "I am what I am". 

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

22 minutes ago, HSS said:

If Taylor didn't look like a Catwalk supermodel and was 5' 3" and weighed 170 lbs., she'd probably be slinging hash in her hometown's Waffle House.

Tell that to Billie Eilish or Jelly Roll. Today's youth have the capacity to look past such things. Sometimes. 

Big is a vague term. Biggest musical influence? Biggest cultural influence? I think I'd give those two to The Beatles. 

• Like 1

I've never heard anything she's done, but she's all over both on the web and in real life (posters, magazines, Netflix, etc.).

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

53 minutes ago, Bill H. said:

Tell that to Billie Eilish or Jelly Roll. Today's youth have the capacity to look past such things. Sometimes. 

Big is a vague term. Biggest musical influence? Biggest cultural influence? I think I'd give those two to The Beatles. 

Point understood.  Billy Eilish is great.  Many of her lyrics are objectively deep and she's a very talented songwriter/ musician /singer as is my favorite "younger" lady songwriter / musician /singer, Molly Tuttle.

FWIW... My 18 year-old son and his musician friends dig Billy Eilish and despise Taylor Swift as being manufactured pop.  Just like in our day, not all of today's youth are created the same.

In this context, one wonders if the Beatles and Elvis (with the exception of Ringo) didn't look like male underwear models when they were young, would they have become so rich and famous? I would argue major financial success in music is usually a combination of talent, looks and luck, in varying proportions.  

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

And then there's older-than-dirt Mr. George Strait and he doesn't even have to pop booty or twerk (although the ladies still think he looks good in tight-fitting Wranglers):

https://people.com/george-strait-breaks-record-for-largest-ticketed-concert-in-us-8664912

Popular music has been manufactured since the 1960s. The suits can always find an artist, band or musician to sell.

Surely, there could be some underlying talent; musicianship, songwriting or compositional ability. Not necessarily prerequisites for success.

McDonald's sells a sh8tload of the most unhealthy food through marketing and promotion and brand recognition. Pop music works similarly.

Times, conditions and environment change but it still influences the arts. The music industry capitalizes on it by any means necessary.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The title of Rick's video is obvious click bait for which I don't blame him one bit... he's needs to put bread on the table like all of us, and to quote Hyman Roth, "this is the business we've chosen." 🙂 

To me it seems pretty clear the topic of the video isn't about who's "bigger." First of all, that's a totally ambiguous term - bigger how? Instead, Rick points out the differences in the way the music biz worked then and now. He also points out the differences in how "hit songs" are written and produced. IMO he makes excellent points regarding both those things – I agree wih his take on these topics, the main one being that pop hits today are more "manufactured" and shaped by the tech than they were 50 years ago. If you think about it though, the Beatles (with help from George Martin) stretched the limit of available tech back then with their tape cutting, vari-speeding, etc. The big difference, and where I feel Rick is right, is that the songs they released originated with themselves, and the arrangements were worked out by sitting together in a room playing instruments. Modern top-40 is not made that way anymore.  As an official "old guy" I have to say I'm somewhat opinionated on the subject - I have more respect for the people that had less tech to help them back then, less of what Buddy Rich called "the assistance." 🙂 

Of course, just seeing the title of this video is going to be triggering to people that are looking for an excuse to drag the guy or argue. I bet Rick is fine with that - the more people engaged, the better for him. Just arguing about it will have more folks clicking!

12 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Popular music has been manufactured since the 1960s. The suits can always find an artist, band or musician to sell.

Surely, there could be some underlying talent; musicianship, songwriting or compositional ability. Not necessarily prerequisites for success.

McDonald's sells a sh8tload of the most unhealthy food through marketing and promotion and brand recognition. Pop music works similarly.

Times, conditions and environment change but it still influences the arts. The music industry capitalizes on it by any means necessary.😎

Popular music has been manufactured before that, the teen culture in the 50's definitely spawned a bunch of "artists" run by producers, and for X sake, Elvis! And before that, there were not much of a commercial recording industry to talk about, though I am pretty darn sure there were bunch of live acts, shows, performances, with a singer/dancer who was hired more because of her looks than her talent...

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

The Beatles transformed the music world.  Their songs are still in rotation and their influence is still being felt almost 55 years after they broke up.

Taylor Swift is just another pretty face who happens to be shrewd with finances.  Yawn.  I stopped listening to artists with my eyes a long time ago.  Music translates to my ears, pretty faces with booty shaking do not.

Success with money and success with art are two very different things.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

The big difference, and where I feel Rick is right, is that the songs they released originated with themselves, and the arrangements were worked out by sitting together in a room playing instruments. Modern top-40 is not made that way anymore.  As an official "old guy" I have to say I'm somewhat opinionated on the subject - I have more respect for the people that had less tech to help them back then, less of what Buddy Rich called "the assistance."

Yes. And while I might not frame my opinions as having more or less "respect", I do think that even though it looks like the same thing, many/most modern pop artists are just not doing the same "thing" as musicians of the past. The product we consume is still music, but the way it is crafted is fundamentally different.

A myth of modern music (and probably this has been true for the entirety of the existence of recorded media, but to a much larger extent now) is that the process is not industrial, but is in fact creative and begins as a single person's creative impulse to express something specific.

My "old guy" issue with modern pop music is the extent to which the image of authentic, intentional, and personal expression is used to hide a very mercenary, industrialized and impersonal process of music creation. And again, for 'pop' this has always been true to a degree, but it seems like it is more true for a larger percentage of "popular" music than it was in the past. Get off my lawn!

• Like 1

Taylor Swift writes her own music and plays her own guitar. 

She's abandoned the sounds that made her famous at least three times now. She started out as a country artist! Then she went sorority-sister party-girl, then power-pop, then indie-rock with a pair of albums that I think are legit great. Now she's back in the pop realm, but mopier.

Some of the writing on Folklore and Evermore is for real. Whenever I've shared cuts with folks, they've always been grudgingly impressed and surprised. There are a couple of cannon-level tracks among those songs.

No matter the genre, I think she's the best straight-pop lyricist since Elvis Costello. Sardonic and clever and self-effacing.

As has been talked about here before, when her producer f'ed her over for royalties, she remade every one of her past albums as a big middle finger to him, and encouraged her fans to buy the versions that wouldn't funnel more money into his pockets. I can't think of a single other artist who would attack that circumstance with that kind of work ethic.

With the exception of select tunes off of Folklore and Evermore, I can't say I ever put her music on to listen to myself. Particularly as of this last album, it's starting to sound far too rehashed now, but even her best pop stuff has always been way too poppy for me. BUT she doesn't write music for me, just as the Beatles didn't write music for the adults. They capitalized on a teen market that had disposable income, and completely bereft pop landscape. 

In Swift's case, it might even be more impressive that she's put out two decades of hits in a market that is thriving and changing. They weren't hungry for her, they were fat and happy and she still found her way to Number 1 over and over again. She doesn't have the musical influence that the Beatles did, and never will, but also, no one does. All we can look at is staying power and the receipts, and she has both.

She's not for everyone, but also, shouldn't be. Pop isn't our world, and it doesn't owe us the responsibility of not having moved past us. In terms of dominance over the conditions of the market at the time of practice, it's not at all crazy to look to the Beatles as the closest possible comparison. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

4 hours ago, The Real MC said:

Their songs are still in rotation

No, they're not. Apart from the recent film 'Yesterday' I don't hear their songs at all on the radio, in supermarkets, on kids obnoxiously loud phones on public transport, at parties or anywhere. They're a cultural fossil. As relevent to youth culture as the second world was to me when I was at school.

I didn't watch the Beato video, but I skimmed the NYT article, which is purely a quantitative comparison of Swift to other big pop stars using music industry statistics. The article does not claim to be evaluating artistic merit, originality, songwriting or recording methodology, or anything like that. The article also includes the disclaimer that the whole exercise is shallow and meaningless, but possibly amusing.

• Like 2

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

2 hours ago, Baggypants said:

No, they're not. Apart from the recent film 'Yesterday' I don't hear their songs at all on the radio, in supermarkets, on kids obnoxiously loud phones on public transport, at parties or anywhere. They're a cultural fossil. As relevent to youth culture as the second world was to me when I was at school.

Gotta disagree. I’m retired, and teach kids (and adults) at the local School of Rock one night a week. I have kids wanting to learn Beatles songs quite often. Right now I’m teaching two different children I Am the Walrus and Come Together. In the past… Let It Be, Hey Jude, and others that aren’t coming to mind at the moment. It often surprises me what they ask to learn! They come in wanting to learn Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Queen, early Elton John, even Genesis! Heck, I had one teenage girl wanting to learn a Peter Hammill song, but that was a rare one for sure. This job continually restores my faith in the younger generation, and I love it! The Beatles, cultural fossils? Not that I’m seeing! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

6 hours ago, stillearning said:

I’m retired, and teach kids (and adults) at the local School of Rock one night a week.

Just today I was in Ridgefield Connecticut getting a coffee and snack and I hear this band playing in the parking lot. Turns out it's "Make Music Day"  with lots of performers at various spots throughout the town.

So, coincidental to your job description above, I'm  pretty sure these kids came from the Ridgefield School Of Rock. The drummer is now at Berklee, the rest of them are still in high school. Dig what they're playing. Maybe there is hope!

• Like 5
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 3