Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stools

hey guys, would love to get input on stools.  I bought a stool similar to the pic.  LOVE it, super comfortable, the rotation is great, but the thing is shabby quality, screws keep popping out, probably under the weight of my fat ass.  Where to find a high quality version?  Lightweight is great, but probably can’t stand up to any repeated use.

Screen Shot 2024-05-29 at 6.25.08 AM.png

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I just went through this process and settled on a roc-N-soc throne with a back rest.  Honestly, it is like sitting in the seat of a cadillac. Expensive and worth every penny .....

Screenshot_20240529_095527_Via.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I recently decided that what I sit on for hours at a time while playing is worth spending some money on, so got this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KM14045BK--k-and-m-14045-multi-purpose-stool-black-imitation-leather

Very happy with it. Due to the shape of the seat, which help you to lean forward a bit, there is some spinal support even without a back rest. Big difference between this and the generic flat surface stool. Money well spent.

I also have a drum throne with a back rest but it's heavy and awkward to carry. 

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

I tried a few drum thrones over the years and I keep coming back to a portable piano bench. My one complaint is when they flatten for travel, the legs should clip to seat and not move.  I have to use a bungie cord, but it seems like an easy fix by the makers.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

2 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

I just went through this process and settled on a roc-N-soc throne with a back rest.  Honestly, it is like sitting in the seat of a cadillac. Expensive and worth every penny .....

Thanks Dave and everyone for the quick input.

Thinking through this - - I used to stand exclusively.  Now it’s a combo, sitting, standing.  And the sitting is a mix, some actual sitting, other times it’s on the edge leaning a bit, and quite a bit of back and forth between standing-sitting-leaning, sometimes in the middle of songs.  Definitely some quick grabbing-moving of the stool, moving it right/left, back out of the way, and some quick grabs bringing it back to the board.

A bench would be cool, but maybe a bit cumbersome for the quick moves I mentioned?  Also, would need a taller bench - I’m never down low.  Maybe a light, yet sturdy & foldable tall bench would be worth a try.  

As for your roc-n-soc throne Dave, not sure sitting in a Cadillac seat would work for me, I’d never want to get up! 😂 Seriously, I feel like I always need to be on the edge, never getting too comfortable.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I use a Roc N Soc drum throne as well, but haven't gotten a backrest. I've been happy with it thus far - approaching two years.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

3 hours ago, Adan said:

I recently decided that what I sit on for hours at a time while playing is worth spending some money on, so got this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KM14045BK--k-and-m-14045-multi-purpose-stool-black-imitation-leather

Very happy with it. Due to the shape of the seat, which help you to lean forward a bit, there is some spinal support even without a back rest. Big difference between this and the generic flat surface stool. Money well spent.

I play standing up, so I need a stool I can lean back on and save my knees. I went through a few tall stools, none of which worked well. This topic has been discussed before in this forum. Through that discussion, I discovered the tall version of the K&M 14047. It's expensive, but as with Adan I decided it was worth spending the money as it's an essential part of my gig set up. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KM14047BK--k-and-m-14047-pneumatic-stool-black-imitation-leather

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

3 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

I've used a roc 'n' soc for almost a decade now, and it serves me well, but I've been thinking about getting one with the backrest. More and more I'm finding that I wake up the day after the gig with a lot of lower back pain from unintentional hunching over (and/or carrying my gear). Having a little back support might give me some relief, when I'm not jumping up to power stance...

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

3 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

I've got the same (same color even). To be honest, I don't use the backrest much... it doesn't quite hit the right spot for me. But, I'm glad I got it for the option. And yes, money well spent. I bring this to every gig. 

Another option which I also tried was the K&M 14050. Super solid, and maybe a good option for a stander/sitter. It's minimum height is quite high, so didn't really work for me, but for a taller player, or someone who is looking to sit in a more vertical configuration, it might be worth looking at.

8 hours ago, Adan said:

I also have a drum throne with a back rest but it's heavy and awkward to carry. 

I have exactly the same one, very nice. I even got the optional back rest, but have not even tried it. But it is incredible how expensive is in USA compared to EU (159€ right now where I bought it!)

I much prefer standing, but have used a stool on occasion (mainly when stages were so tight that I literally couldn't move, might as well sit at that point).  The band has one less member, no amps  and mostly in-ears, so we tend to have a ton more room now.

As someone mentioned above, I also like being up high.  An ideal chair or stool keeps me close to standing height and I'm 6'3".

For a few years I used a barber stool originally bought when my wife was going to give the kids haircuts (hahahahaha that went about as expected).  This thing was pneumatic, swiveled and had a foot rest--but not very portable.  Seat wasn't super comfy.

My current stool, which I think I've used twice in two years, it more of a mechanic's stool I think.  The wife bought it for me.  It has a nice padded seat and swivels.   It is also pneumatic and gets pretty high up.  Neither this nor the barber's stool had a back.

I was also considering drafting chairs for a bit.   Moral of the story, might find something outside the musician's box (or you might not!) :)  

Question for all you stoolers out there- how would you folks manage pedals if you're on a high stool? Sort-of-perch on the edge and pedals on the floor? That doesn't seem to bring the ergonomic advantages promised by sitting.

Cheers, Mike.

That is definitely an issue, and one reason why in the end I stay standing almost all the time.  I don't want to be way down low though, or wrestle some riser to every gig.  I sing some lead and usually am in the "back line" so that's not a great combo.  Almost as bad as a drummer singing!  (Yes I know some famous drummer lead singers are out there, but at the small-time level it mainly causes confusion since nobody can tell where the voice is coming from...)

2 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Question for all you stoolers out there- how would you folks manage pedals if you're on a high stool? Sort-of-perch on the edge and pedals on the floor? That doesn't seem to bring the ergonomic advantages promised by sitting.

Cheers, Mike.

The pic I showed in the original post, I'm considering that a high stool. Basically like a bar stool, the height and swivel action just works for me.  I'm able to reach the pedals, just like I can when standing, but able to perch on the stool and use both feet/pedals when needed

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

On 5/29/2024 at 8:58 AM, Delaware Dave said:

The only consistent piece of gear I’ve owned professionally touring since 1997.  It’s been around the world and still holds up.  Back rest is a must now.