Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My iPad Rig (1st version...)

The objective is to have a small rig that can be added to a keyboard bag and just simplify all connections.

Just connect L/R cables, power and the controller USB to the USB HUB - done

Still pending to adapt the interface plate to the front of the unit (Audiobox GO) and a cover to protect the pcb.

IMG_9189.JPG

IMG_9186.JPG

IMG_9187.JPG

• Like 6

Looks nice. I’m always up for anything that involves minimising gear. I’ll be watching your progress with interest as I’m looking to downsize my rig and possibly go the iPad/MacBook route so any ideas from this would be welcome. Nice build. I’m 

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

Are you pairing with a keyboard or just playing on screen? The CME Xkey is a nice 'visual' companion to iPad and it has poly AT 😉

20200108_181810.jpg

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Very nice setup. I am designing a similar idea, built into a music stand.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

6 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Are you pairing with a keyboard or just playing on screen? The CME Xkey is a nice 'visual' companion to iPad and it has poly AT 😉

yep, using a 61 note controller

save yourself a headache down the road and get one of these off Scamazon so that anker hub's cord doesn't get hosed and render it useless. (ask me how i know)

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

save yourself a headache down the road and get one of these off Scamazon so that anker hub's cord doesn't get hosed and render it useless. (ask me how i know)

Thanks, I'm searching local (Brazil) options to reduce cable lenght and have a more flexible solution.

This is cool... am I understanding that what you've done is taken the Presonus interface and mounted it inside the larger enclosure, along with the hub and related power supplies? And now you've got a one-box piece of kit that gives your stereo audio outs (and volume control) from your ipad?

What's the function of the hub? Why not just plug the ipad directly into the audiobox?

4 minutes ago, BluMunk said:

What's the function of the hub? Why not just plug the ipad directly into the audiobox?

I would assume MIDI and power for the iPad.  (Unless the audiobox does both)

37 minutes ago, BluMunk said:

This is cool... am I understanding that what you've done is taken the Presonus interface and mounted it inside the larger enclosure, along with the hub and related power supplies? And now you've got a one-box piece of kit that gives your stereo audio outs (and volume control) from your ipad?

Ipad has one port only, to feed it with power and connect a USB accessory you need a hub of some sort. I do the same even with my AIR M1, there's ONE single USB C on it, which is kind of a limitation in this context.

With the Camera Kit dongle for the lightning connector iPads (pre M processor) there was a power input and a USB on the dongle, which made it less important with a hub, HOWEVER with some USB interfaces (Audient for example) you still need a hub to power the interface (I have both the ID4 MkII and the EVO 4 and use with iPad in different settings).

I also have a Volt 2, and a UR44c, which both inludes support for external power, but even using those a hub is needed if the Camera Kit is not used, in order to power the iPad.

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

I just use one of these small candy bar sized things. No interface. Just this, the keyboard, the ipad, and the USB-C extender cord pictured earlier.

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

I just use one of these small candy bar sized things. No interface. Just this, the keyboard, the ipad, and the USB-C extender cord pictured earlier.

spacer.png

I have one of those for my AIR M1, important that it's not being pulled in any way by the cables and accessories, could potentially ruin the jack in the iPad. The one I have is by happy coincidence being perfectly squeezed in-between the pad and the sleeve I have (it has a plastic piece attached to it probably designed just for this...).

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

35 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

my AIR M1, there's ONE single USB C on it

There are two. Maybe you're thinking that there's one after you plug in the power, but you do have two when on battery. You can also get hubs that pass power, so you can use a hub on one and still have the other available for something you might not want to put through a hub (or be supported by the hub you have), like a thunderbolt display or drive.

11 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

I just use one of these small candy bar sized things.

I have considered those, it's nice having fewer dangly bits, but besides what JFN said about possible more stress on the jack in some instances, my other issue is that they often won't work with protective cases.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

28 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

possible more stress on the jack in some instances, my other issue is that they often won't work with protective cases.

y'all missing the part about the USB-C extender cable. (see big red thing with right angle, upthread).   

i have only one cable going to my ipad.  The tiny hub is taped/velcroed to my stand. All wiring crap (power adapter, usb, audio, etc.) live there, hidden out of sight and one single usb-c goes to the Ipad supplying power and providing all I/O. The extender cable goes from the hub to the Ipad.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:

There are two. Maybe you're thinking that there's one after you plug in the power, but you do have two when on battery. You can also get hubs that pass power, so you can use a hub on one and still have the other available for something you might not want to put through a hub (or be supported by the hub you have), like a thunderbolt display or drive.

I have considered those, it's nice having fewer dangly bits, but besides what JFN said about possible more stress on the jack in some instances, my other issue is that they often won't work with protective cases.

My iPad Air has only one (first Air M1 released).

And yes, I wasn't sure the little thingie would work with the sleeve it was a total success.. 🤣

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

15 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

My iPad Air has only one (first Air M1 released).

When you said Air M1, my mind went to Macbook Air M1, not iPad. Whoops!

• Haha 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)