Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What Discontinued Keyboard Bugs You the Most?

I wonder what happened with Yamaha and their EX5, bought the rack about 2 years ago as I remember having enjoyed this machine back in the days with its different interesting synthesises, and it is definitely a machine that is easy to get immersed in.

Why don't we see things like this in their current flagships??

Same with Korg, their Prophecy is one of the absolute coolest digital machines ever!

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

On 4/26/2024 at 9:10 AM, Paul Woodward said:

On the flip side of being discontinued, look at how many boards are actually getting their life ‘extended’ when they probably should be retired for something new and improved….ahem, Roland RD08, NAUTILUS AT, Fantom EX…

Korg is only making musical toys now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CHarrell said:

it's not discontinued as far as I know, but after getting a PX5S recently, 

It might as well be.  Jeez, Casio, it's been over 11 years, eleven loooong years of coulda, shoulda, "nope-we're-not-gonna-update the PX5."

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 8:52 AM, CEB said:

1) Pre-1998 Ensoniq.    Great tech in good products that working players could better afford.  That was a great company. 

2) The Yamaha S-90 series.  

I had always been drawn to the Baldwin sample in the KT-88

On 4/26/2024 at 5:20 PM, CHarrell said:

I was legitimately surprised when the dust settled and the Nautilus turned out to be the de facto successor and not just a stopgap release...still wondering what Korg's next big play is. Though they've released a lot of their tech in software, it's still hard to imagine they'd have Nautilus as their hardware flagship swan song.

For me, this is technical because it's not discontinued as far as I know, but after getting a PX5S recently, I've gotten really nostalgic about gigging with Casio instruments in the  2010s (my first gigging board was a PX130, which had me thinking every keyboard I was gonna get would be that easy to take around...this was soon shattered when I got a Triton 88 from online, without checking dimensions and weight first...). I'd love to see Casio reignite that stream of portable, affordable, professional keyboard such as the PX5S and 560 that would just totally blow people away with the quality and price vs the competition.

I as well around 2011 got a PX130 and it was very easy to move around as I had a Roadrunner case with wheels. I liked how the action went down, but wasn't thrilled with how it 

felt when it came up, I liked the piano sounds but i needed somthing with 1/4" outputs-- however it served me well and was better built than some subsequent boards by them

2 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

CP4 without a doubt. CP88 sound is very good, once your ear gets accustomed to the more digital sounding change over the CP4, but just not the same vibe or player connection in the action.

I can see that actually, owning both. I'm actually really excited to see what Yamaha's next iteration will be (maybe not too far away if it's consistent with the time between the CP4 and 88?)

Not a common opinion but l loved my Alesis Fusions. They were my go to performance keyboards for several years. Maybe not the best samples around and the sequencer was pretty lame but they were built like tanks, were quite expandable, and had a pretty awesome performance interface.

• Like 1

Kurzweil PC4-7, NE-6, Roland FA06, MODX-7, Numa Compact 2x

Ensoniq.  Sounds that had a presence in a live mix without overwhelming it, unmatched by the big 3.  And the quality of the effects in their 90s boards surpassed most current offerings.  My first pro keyboard was a KS-32, then an MRrack.

• Like 3

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals