Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oberheim TEO-5

What a little beauty. Its a nice match for a Take 5, which is somewhat like a slimmer Prophet for people who aren't looking to drop $3499 on a Prophet-6. A Trigon-6 is $2499 and a Rev2 16-voice is $2599, so the pricing scale is sensible. Some synths stop at 4 voices too often. With 5, you can go to town more fully. It seems like a good  choice alone, but also between bigger synths. It has bass and pads written all over it, maybe a bit less for leads, IMO.

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

This looks fantastic! I sold a Matrix 6 in the early 2000's, and dearly miss that synth, given how pleased I have been with the Take 5, this looks like a great and affordable modern replacement.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Not surprised.  

I remember when the Prophet 6 and OB-6 were shelf mates in the music store.  

Figured Obie would come down the pike with something similar to the Take 5. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

5 voices, 3 1/2 octaves, 1699€...

In software this would be could crippleware, but this is way too expensive no matter what.

Luckily Uli has already taken care of this for us.

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

I wonder how the filter and the effects will sound on it, compared to the Take5. 
That’s my weak point against the Take5. 
Otherwise, they look very similar. 

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

5 hours ago, Fleer said:

Made in China? While my Take 5 is made in the good old USA…

Much of the worlds top tech is made in the East and it’s high quality stuff, even good old Apple get their gear made in China and they aren’t doing too bad…

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Wonder what "engine" it has? Maybe OB-6 voice cards and filters? Seems smart to use what you "already have" as opposed to create something from scratch...or maybe the Curtis "synth on a chip" as in Prophet REV2 "tweaked" to sound more "Oberheim-ish"?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

5 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Much of the worlds top tech is made in the East and it’s high quality stuff, even good old Apple get their gear made in China and they aren’t doing too bad…

Everything we use here to communicate is made in Asia, which I always find funny in these conversations on music forums, it's apparently a conversation of importance where the instruments are made, while we all sit here since decades and tap on devices that more or less was never even in production in our own part of the world (smartphones, tablets. etc.).

China has become pretty good at manufacturing these days and the growing middle class in China are extremely quality conscious in their own consumption as well. Factory workers can still have shit wages though, but wages have increased during the last decade and keep growing, in contrary to how it is in Malaysia and Vietnam, where it's not uncommon for companies to move their production (from China), and save a couple of bucks...

• Like 2

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Yeah that looks good. Hope it sounds good too - I didn’t like the sound of the Take 5. 

smart to have those dedicated reverb controls, looks easy to set it to taste quickly. 

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

13 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Why is that bad? Better quality, no? 

If I can choose, I will always go for the country of origin. Don’t want an American nunchaku.