Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Ventilator just died!

My first-generation Ventilator seems to be beyond resuscitation. It seems to be in permanent bypass mode, the LEDs on the front are all off, though they flash when powering it up. It passes audio as if bypassed, and the switches have no effect. I've had it at least a decade, and bought it used, and it's been on literally hundreds of gigs, it has survived 3 clonewheels for me, I first used it on an XK-1, then and XK-1C, and it's currently on a first-gen Crumar Mojo. I love the sound. Of course, this is happening when I have upcoming gigs, and, while a new pedal wouldn't break me, I can think of more fun ways to spend the $$.

It would be awesome to get it repaired, have emailed Neo with no results thus far, but I don't have great expectations of that being possible, and, it's definitely served its time.

So my question, is, what should I replace it with? The Vent 2 seems the obvious choice, but is there anything better?

Also, I've run the Mojo exclusively with the Vent since I got the Mojo, can the Mojo's internal sim be tweaked to sound as good/good enough? I used VB3 pretty extensively, and felt the Leslie sim was pretty good.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Dave, check in with Joan Gand @ Gand Music. They are the US distributer for Neo Instruments.  I had a Vent II repaired about 18 months ago, was a pretty painless process

• Like 3
:nopity:

3 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

Dave, check in with Joan Gand @ Gand Music. They are the US distributer for Neo Instruments.  I had a Vent II repaired about 18 months ago, was a pretty painless process

Thanks for the tip, I'll give them a try.

1 minute ago, Doerfler said:

pretty sure the answer to this is good enough.  

Yeah, especially for the meantime. When I first got the Mojo, I did a quick comparison between the internal sim and the Vent, and the Vent won, but I've never really delved deeply into tweaking the internal, now I just need to find a VGA monitor...

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

It's been awhile, and I no longer have the Vent II, but I was having what sounds like the same problem.  Stayed in a bypass mode.  I corresponded with Guido, sent it back, and he fixed it....no charge.  Good luck to you.  

One of these days, I got to head north to catch one of your shows!

• Like 1

"May you stay...forever young."

I have the original Vent, the Burn, MS Pro3T/LowPro.  I have been using VB3-ii via the Gemini module using the internal sim. When I use an external sim with it for large shows I actually use the BURN rather than the Vent. I believe the Burn's algorithm is based from the original Mojo (which you own). I always found the Burn to sound more like an in-room leslie where the Vent sounds like a mic'd leslie. There should be no reason for you not to get a decent leslie from the original Mojo. I'm even getting a decent organ sound attaching my Burn to my Kurzweil Forte's 'dry' KB3 organ and that is the combination I've used the last two shows.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

19 hours ago, Daddyg3042 said:

It's been awhile, and I no longer have the Vent II, but I was having what sounds like the same problem.  Stayed in a bypass mode.  I corresponded with Guido, sent it back, and he fixed it....no charge.  Good luck to you.  

One of these days, I got to head north to catch one of your shows!

That’d be awesome! We’ve got a pretty big show coming up April 20 in Corvallis. Let me know if you want to come, I’ll slip you onto the guest list. 

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

Dumb question, but have you taken it apart and *tested* the switches?   My EE career has taught me to always check the simplest fix first, and in this case, that would be the mechanical components (switches) before assuming the electronics have gone bad.  (They might have, but the probability is lower than a mechanical issue). 

Good luck!

Lou

• Like 1

This post makes me worry a bit, as I'm using the original Vent in my live rig since 2011...that's a pretty long time! I've always had it mounted inside a rack using a remote foot switch, so I'm hopeful that this reduces wear and tear on the unit.

I have noticed a problem sporadically while playing shows (which is jarring) where my organ channel will freeze up, presumably the Vent has gone into either a locked bypass or almost like a hard braked Leslie situation. I traced it to a bad footswitch on one occasion, and also to a loose connection on the cable going to the Vent. Whenever I have BIG shows, I will reseat the connections in the rack mounted Vent and I always have a backup foot switch on hand. Worst case scenario, I switch my NS3 over to use its internal Leslie simulation, which is halfway decent. Still not quite as good as the Vent.

I would reach out to the manufacturer and see if they can help you out with this.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 8:51 AM, JoJoB3 said:

I imagine you already ruled it out but are you sure it's not just the external power supply (or connection)?

I don't have another power supply to swap it with, but I did check the voltage coming from it with a multi-meter, and it seems ok.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

So I spent a couple hours yesterday programming the onboard Leslie sim of the Mojo, comparing it against the A100/Leslie 251 combo in the studio, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I think the Mojo sim sounds closer to the 251 than the Vent did, though I never really attempted this kind of comparative programming with the Vent. I think I like the grind of the overdriven Vent a bit more than the Mojo, but I can live with this, and it does simplify my pedalboard.

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

5 hours ago, NewImprov said:

I think the Mojo sim sounds closer to the 251 than the Vent did..

Agree. The Vent, to me, sounds like a mic'd leslie where the internal sim sounds more like an in-room leslie.  I can definitely see where the internal sim would sound more like a 251 than the Vent. I have a BURN and an original Vent but 90+% of the time I use the internal sim, the Vent is a little better (specifically the horn having more definition in fast speed) but the only one who notices it is me, no musician nor anyone in the audience knows the difference.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

On 3/28/2024 at 11:40 AM, BluMunk said:

Only on this forum would the words "my ventilator just died" not be followed by panicked responses of "get off the internet and call 911 you dope!"

I was just thinking that if it was 4 years ago at the height of Covid this thread title would be worrisome!  spacer.png

• Haha 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

On 3/30/2024 at 7:58 PM, Delaware Dave said:

no musician nor anyone in the audience knows the difference.

Words to live by.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

On 3/30/2024 at 4:58 PM, Delaware Dave said:

Agree. The Vent, to me, sounds like a mic'd leslie where the internal sim sounds more like an in-room leslie. 

I think I agree, I can't really A/B the Vent and the internal. I'm a bit worried this is part of the reason the Vent sounds so good through a PA system., and cuts through the band so well. I have a couple gigs booked later this month, I'll see how it goes. And I agree, no one but me, and perhaps one other local keyboardist who sometimes comes to my gigs, will notice the difference. We live in pretty great times.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper