Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vintage Vibe teasing "more affordable" model

Theoretically, I could afford the current version, but imma gonna wait to see what this turns out to be. I don't need Yet Another Keyboard, but depending on where it falls in price, I might just have to. 

If so, the question then becomes, which color will complement my Sparkle Blue Tolex Vibanet? :D 

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I was sorry they ditched the 44. My 64 is a bit difficult to move, not so much because of the weight (53 lbs) but also the bulk, and I don't have as much cushion in my spine as I used to back when I was hauling a real rhodes.

Can't believe I'm writing this, but I may decide to sell my 64. It's just not getting that much use, and now that we have a piano in the living room, it doesn't even get much playing at home. With the increase in prices on new ones, I think I could almost break even in the used market.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Well, my money is safe in my pocket as long as they don't offer an 88-key model.🤣

Again, I applaud these manufacturers for offering niche products especially considering the competition that does more and costs less.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

2 hours ago, Adan said:

I was sorry they ditched the 44. My 64 is a bit difficult to move, not so much because of the weight (53 lbs) but also the bulk, and I don't have as much cushion in my spine as I used to back when I was hauling a real rhodes.

Can't believe I'm writing this, but I may decide to sell my 64. It's just not getting that much use, and now that we have a piano in the living room, it doesn't even get much playing at home. With the increase in prices on new ones, I think I could almost break even in the used market.

This happens a lot.  It’s difficult go back once we’ve had the convenience of digital instruments.  So a “real” instrument is relegated to home use.  Even in the studio electric pianos have been sampled and modeled over and over.  Are there many applications where it’s worth the hassle to mic a cabinet or go through AD rather than record midi? 

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

23 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

That’s great. It’s much more in reach than a Mk 8.  

Yeah MK8 and current VV offerings are out of my budget. I guess we'll find out what their idea of "affordable" is next month.

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

If they manage to get a 73 in under $5K, it’s gonna crush the used market.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

12 hours ago, zephonic said:

If they manage to get a 73 in under $5K, it’s gonna crush the used market.

Crush the used market in vintage electromechanical pianos or digital pianos in general?

IMO, even if a lower cost, brand new Vintage Vibe EP showed up and reduced the price of used electromechanical KBs, those inclined to own the real deal would look at it as a win and still cop vintage.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yeah, maybe.

For a guy like me, though, a brand new VV73 under $5K would be a better bet than a fifty-year old beater that has been God knows where. I loved my Rhodes when I had it and I still miss it, but I could tell maintaining it would be a continuous expense. I sunk $1500 in refurbing it, and still little quirks popped up here and there. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, zephonic said:

For a guy like me, though, a brand new VV73 under $5K would be a better bet than a fifty-year old beater that has been God knows where.

Absolutely and twice on Sundays.😁

The VV is a much better choice especially if there is any chance that EP might leave the house for certain gig(s).😎

PD

I do understand high pricing for high end gear, but I always choke a little when I see a $6K price tag. I can't help but translate that into a healthy home studio with a well-muscled computer and a few potent softsynths. I love First World choices!  

I can easily respect the VV-love. I had it for my Shoninger console, which had a major voice for its size. I sold a Roland RD-1000 to a guy who lit up like Xmas as he stepped through the presets. He said "This is going to up my game immensely."

If it lights you up inside, its a keeper. :keynana: 

• Like 1

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty
 and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life- so I became a scientist.

This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
      ~ Matt Cartmill

On 3/15/2024 at 5:12 PM, David Emm said:

I do understand high pricing for high end gear, but I always choke a little when I see a $6K price tag. I can't help but translate that into a healthy home studio with a well-muscled computer and a few potent softsynths. I love First World choices!  

I can easily respect the VV-love. I had it for my Shoninger console, which had a major voice for its size. I sold a Roland RD-1000 to a guy who lit up like Xmas as he stepped through the presets. He said "This is going to up my game immensely."

If it lights you up inside, it’s a keeper. :keynana: 

Custom parts, wood and tines, assembled by hand in the US or UK.  How much can they shave off the price?  We shall see.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Dear Santa, please let it be a 73 key for around 3k euro, and it goes right in on my next purchase list! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Even at that lower price, I don’t know.    To justify playing a real E-M instrument you need to be a  Chick, Michael, Donald, etc.  and they were (are) big enough to tour with the real deal.  Although I think Mr. Wonderful is actually using a VV 88 suitcase.  

The Motif/Montage sampled Rhodes is pretty though to beat.  Check out the guy playing Still Crazy for James Taylor at the Paul Simon tribute.  It’s pretty killer.  There are some sample artifacts I find annoying if you look for them, but in the context of a band performance they are fine. 

OT Digression :: I’ve got the Crumar and the Montage sample is much much better.   Sure, the Crumar emulates the Rhodes when you depress the sustain pedal without anything else, but talk about a cheesy gimmick.  If you were to record that shit, it’s noise and adds blur and other artifacts they’ve cheesed up. 

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

2 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Even at that lower price, I don’t know.    To justify playing a real E-M instrument you need to be a  Chick, Michael, Donald, etc.  and they were (are) big enough to tour with the real deal.  Although I think Mr. Wonderful is actually using a VV 88 suitcase.  

The Motif/Montage sampled Rhodes is pretty though to beat.  Check out the guy playing Still Crazy for James Taylor at the Paul Simon tribute.  It’s pretty killer.  There are some sample artifacts I find annoying if you look for them, but in the context of a band performance they are fine. 

OT Digression :: I’ve got the Crumar and the Montage sample is much much better.   Sure, the Crumar emulates the Rhodes when you depress the sustain pedal without anything else, but talk about a cheesy gimmick.  If you were to record that shit, it’s noise and adds blur and other artifacts they’ve cheesed up. 

Yeah, I would probably seldom bring a real one out, but keep it in my home studio for recording, unless of course playing in a very specific setting where the electric piano had a central part of the music.

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

7 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Even at that lower price, I don’t know.    To justify playing a real E-M instrument you need to be a  Chick, Michael, Donald, etc.  and they were (are) big enough to tour with the real deal.  

I see it differently. Why shouldn't I take a real electro-mechanical piano on stage if I have more fun playing it than a digital instrument - even if I'm not Chick Corea or Michael McDonald? 🤔

• Like 1

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

8 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

To justify playing a real E-M instrument you need to be a  Chick, Michael, Donald, etc.  and they were (are) big enough to tour with the real deal.

Slippery slope there. 

Once having to justify playing any instrument where does it begin and end...talent level, weight, cost, portability, maintenance, etc.

That would be interesting to have judges sitting in the music store and deciding which instrument(s) a customer is qualified to purchase.

"Get your g8tdamn hands off that Nord Stage 4 if you cannot play and solo over Giant Steps."🤣😎

• Like 2

PD

There is no limit to Rhodes emulations out there, no doubt. Ranging from serviceable to pretty great, and I use them all the time.

But in the short time I had a real Rhodes here, I came to understand that all the others are just that, emulations.

Something about the way it fills up the speaker, even in mono with no processing, it’s just super thick.

I don’t know if the VV does the same, though, but one can hope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProfD said:
10 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

To justify playing a real E-M instrument you need to be a  Chick, Michael, Donald, etc.  and they were (are) big enough to tour with the real deal.

Slippery slope there. 

Once having to justify playing any instrument where does it begin and end...talent level, weight, cost, portability, maintenance, etc.

That would be interesting to have judges sitting in the music store and deciding which instrument(s) a customer is qualified to purchase.

"Get your g8tdamn hands off that Nord Stage 4 if you cannot play and solo over Giant Steps."🤣😎

Yeah that came out the wrong way and not what I meant. 
Should have been more along the lines of  “in general,  to tour with a real…..” because of the expense and logistics of keeping it running.   Of course there are exceptions.  

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

And it's kinda funny, as once upon a time there were no options.. Back in my haydays, in the early and mid 90s, I lugged a Rhodes (owned three of them) a Clavinet (owned two..) a Hammond or clone (CX3 or Acetone GT7), Leslie, Fender or Musicman amps for the electromechanical keys, and when needed, synths (to sound like synths) on top of that... Had a cpl of different ones, Juno 60, D50, Moog Prodigy, Logan String machine, Siel something, and later on an XP50 which basically replaced all of the above and some,  that's when things started to change...

Those were the days, and oh, my physical condition was SO much better back then..

😂

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

On 3/19/2024 at 10:38 AM, J.F.N. said:

And it's kinda funny, as once upon a time there were no options.. Back in my haydays, in the early and mid 90s, I lugged a Rhodes (owned three of them) a Clavinet (owned two..) a Hammond or clone (CX3 or Acetone GT7), Leslie, Fender or Musicman amps for the electromechanical keys, and when needed, synths (to sound like synths) on top of that... Had a cpl of different ones, Juno 60, D50, Moog Prodigy, Logan String machine, Siel something, and later on an XP50 which basically replaced all of the above and some,  that's when things started to change...

Those were the days, and oh, my physical condition was SO much better back then..

😂

Wow, I had to look up the Acetone GT7......I've never seen one before. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

Wow, I had to look up the Acetone GT7......I've never seen one before. 

That was Mr. Kakehashi pre Roland, the GT7 was later more well known as Hammond X5 (Produced by Ace Tone for Hammond).

Greatest "clone" back in the days, I had two, in the end I sold one to a repair guy (together with a Leslie 760) who I think may have renovated it, and the second died in a basement flooding.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

3 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

That was Mr. Kakehashi pre Roland, the GT7 was later more well known as Hammond X5 (Produced by Ace Tone for Hammond).

Greatest "clone" back in the days, I had two, in the end I sold one to a repair guy (together with a Leslie 760) who I think may have renovated it, and the second died in a basement flooding.

I know Mr. Kakehashi was a great fan of Hammond and Leslie products. I see you're in Portugal.....I wonder if the Acetone was even imported into the States? 

49 minutes ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

I wonder if the Acetone was even imported into the States? 

I believe so

Danny Federici (RIP) used an Acetone organ on some early E Street Band recordings. Bruce still has it in his studio

• Like 1
:nopity:

1 hour ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

I know Mr. Kakehashi was a great fan of Hammond and Leslie products. I see you're in Portugal.....I wonder if the Acetone was even imported into the States? 

I was not here in my haydays though, I'm a Viking from way up north lost in the south of Europe... :)

I would be surprised of Ace Tone was not exported to the US.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -