Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dave Grusin channelling Richard Tee

Was listening to some YT playlist and heard this juicy piano "pumping" (starting from 3:58 below) that I assumed was done by Richard Tee.

Turns out it was Dave Grusin.

This is a side of his playing I'm not familiar with, is there any style Sensei Grusin doesn't play well?

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Here's a good one from The Firm Soundtrack:

He's a legitimate monster.  You should hear his work on Columbo.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

The late great Richard Tee definitely provided a flavor that inspired and/or influenced many pianists.😎

• Like 2
  • Love 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

The late great Richard Tee definitely provided a flavor that inspired and/or influenced many pianists.😎

Others copped Richard's notes, but they never got his feel.     

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Docbop said:

Others copped Richard's notes, but they never got his feel.     

Having spent significant time trying to cop both, and having way more success with the former than the latter, I concur.

BTW, I forget where, but I'm pretty sure I also heard Grusin playing something that showed a credible Henry Butler influence at some point.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Josh Paxton said:

Having spent significant time trying to cop both, and having way more success with the former than the latter, I concur.

BTW, I forget where, but I'm pretty sure I also heard Grusin playing something that showed a credible Henry Butler influence at some point.

Henry Butler definitely came to mind while listening to that Grusin video. Josh, who do you think might have been influenced by the other? 

Needless to say I’ve listened to every Grusin record hundreds of times, including his soundtracks 😀

He’s very versatile. I especially love that he’s no shy about making very light pop type of jazz. But he also has excellent straight away jazz records too, the Gershwin is great, as is the Mancini one.

I used to wear out from repeated listening the soundtrack for Random Hearts. Can’t imagine better music for a Film Noir. Terrence Blanchard on the trumpet:

• Love 2

12 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

This is an interesting rendition of I Got Plenty O Nuthin:

A great album, always loved the string arrangement Ettore Stratta did on "I Love You Porgy".

• Love 1

Here is an interlude section between Gospel Midi Piano Blues on "Good Ol' Boys"  that is harmonically marvelous and shows Dave's (or his Brother's -- who knows which) rich mind for harmony:  

In my GRP Fanatical years, I was in love with the Dave/Don Grusin Sticks and Stones recording.   I think some of it is slightly self-indulgent, and has a little bit of ageing issues, but I still love a lot of it.  To wit these are marvelous.  Dog Heaven has both Dave and Don channeling Richard Tee in the middle of Beautiful film noir composition.

• Love 3

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 3/1/2024 at 8:20 PM, jazzpiano88 said:

Here is an interlude section between Gospel Midi Piano Blues on "Good Ol' Boys"  that is harmonically marvelous and shows Dave's (or his Brother's -- who knows which) rich mind for harmony:  

In my GRP Fanatical years, I was in love with the Dave/Don Grusin Sticks and Stones recording.   I think some of it is slightly self-indulgent, and has a little bit of ageing issues, but I still love a lot of it.  To wit these are marvelous.  Dog Heaven has both Dave and Don channeling Richard Tee in the middle of Beautiful film noir composition.

Excellent Brazilian Jazz and Bluesy Funk/Gospel!

Don is a much under-appreciated master player. Here's a collaboration between him and Casiopea's Minoru Mukaiya from 10 years ago, this type of stuff is right up my alley:

• Like 1

A desert island disc for me, from Brazilian musical royalty and featuring some very tasty piano from Dave Grusin. Herbie is on another track from this album (a fantastic version of "Brasil") that iirc won a grammy. Every tune on this CD is a gem.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

A desert island disc for me, from Brazilian musical royalty and featuring some very tasty piano from Dave Grusin. Herbie is on another track from this album (a fantastic version of "Brasil") that iirc won a grammy. Every tune on this CD is a gem.

That is just beautiful!  

I'm somewhat reminded of his collaboration with Ivan Lins on Harlequin, which also won a bunch of awards iirc.

This portion always sends chills with Ivan's powerful voice and the killer accompaniment by Dave:

• Like 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Dave Grusin and Richard Tee actually worked a lot of NY sessions together. I used to have one of Patti Austin's albums that featured Richard Tee on keyboards on various tracks and which was also produced by Grusin and Rosen.

• Like 1