Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I need a "reasonable" keyboard amp. Help needed

I use  Laney AH150 (plus a passive speaker for stereo) for rehearsals and small gigs. It's super flexible, but I don't really like the sound. Do you think a pair of Altos would make a difference? Or should I stick with Laney at this price point?

Do you need any of the Laney's features? Specifically the five-input mixer?

What's your budget? 

I quite like Laney's gear - I'm still rocking an old CP10 wedge that must be close to 30 years old, and it still sounds quite nice. Not super-loud (or super-light) but it's paid for itself many times over.

Cheers, Mike.

5 hours ago, Stefan011 said:

I use  Laney AH150 (plus a passive speaker for stereo) for rehearsals and small gigs. It's super flexible, but I don't really like the sound. Do you think a pair of Altos would make a difference? Or should I stick with Laney at this price point?

I briefly owned a Laney AH150. Honestly, the worst sound I have ever experienced. Makes Roland KC amps sound like Nexo or Logic System in comparison. 

I have heard the newer Roland KC series is much improved, so they could be handy if you want the convenience of a keyboard amp.

However, if sound is a priority, a stereo pair of decent active speakers is a good option. Keen to try those Altos myself after all these recommendations but I already own EV ZXa1 which I presume are better still?

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

37 minutes ago, The Piano Man said:

However, if sound is a priority, a stereo pair of decent active speakers is a good option. Keen to try those Altos myself after all these recommendations but I already own EV ZXa1 which I presume are better still?

Yes, I rank the ZXa1 above the AltoTS, mostly for having a more open high end. Also assuming you have the more common ZXa1-90, the horn dispersion can be rotated to be 90 x 50 in either direction, which means you can better optimize it for vertical vs. horizontal (e.g personal monitor vs. audience) usage. OTOH, the Alto is stable on shorter tripods, which is why I ended up using it. (It also has two mic inputs instead of one, which some people might be interested in, especially if you're using it "off-label" and using the mic-level to try to get more keyboard gain out of each of the two inputs.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1 hour ago, The Piano Man said:

I briefly owned a Laney AH150. Honestly, the worst sound I have ever experienced. Makes Roland KC amps sound like Nexo or Logic System in comparison. 

I have heard the newer Roland KC series is much improved, so they could be handy if you want the convenience of a keyboard amp.

Thanks! I was just checking out the Roland KC line. They look nice. But the stereo option is missing  (telling from the pictures). Laney has a great interface. But as you said, the sound is below average.

I'm very happy with the Alto TS408s.  A pair of those (or even just one for your type gig) are versatile, light weight, sufficiently powerful, and reasonably priced.  I have EV, QSC, Space Station V3, but for grab and go gigs the Altos do a fine job.  Good luck in your search for what works best for you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stefan011 said:

I use  Laney AH150 (plus a passive speaker for stereo)

I took a look at that amp online. It's a mono amp - adding a passive speaker does not make it stereo. That might be one reason for the disappointing sound.

I'll stop hawking my little Alto TX308s! There are quite a few powered PA speakers out there and most should do a good job. I only wanted to make the point that for certain types of gigs (like the ones described in the original post), you don't need 2000 watts! Having control over EQ is essential however, imo. In my case it's super easy since my sounds come from an iPad right in front of me. During a sound check or even the first song I'll move the points around until I get things sounding the way I like. This is Neon Silicon's free LRC7 plugin - seven bands of low shelf, high shelf, parametric peak/cut, notch, and various Butterworth low-pass and high-pass filters. I use this on my master bus and one or two other plugins in my setup.

image.png.a9090be2c7512cefb20d02c009eb0edb.png

I’m an EV guy because I have always played EV.  A gross generalization and not necessarily the most accurate was that in the day, players fell into to camps, EV or JBL.  I was team EV. 

I needed some low cost speakers last summer to leave at a rehearsal space and got a pair of Altos.  The Altos are great.  But a lot of stuff is good.  The Altos are very well priced.  

I have ZXa1s. I wrote the product review in Keyboard. I do like them better for piano.  Depending on how you use them you may have gain staging issues.   The carry ‘handle’ sucks but they are light.  They cost much more.  I like the ZXs for keyboard bass of all things but I only use them for personal monitoring and the last thing I want in a wedge is to bring the thunder. 

It all good these days. … except 12” Behringers.  They sound like ass for keys. 

PS - Bummer none of the articles seem to be online anymore.  

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

4 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

I took a look at that amp online. It's a mono amp - adding a passive speaker does not make it stereo. That might be one reason for the disappointing sound.

Are You sure? It has stereo input and sounds pretty stereo to my ears 🙂

But thank for the EQ tip. I will try to find some Altos to try.

13 minutes ago, Stefan011 said:

But thank for the EQ tip. I will try to find some Altos to try.

I had the AH150 for a short while: it's mono and it sounds like crap on keys.

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

13 minutes ago, Stefan011 said:

You didn't mistype, correct? The Laney AH150? I double-checked, and yes it does have stereo inputs but left & right channels are combined. There is only a single channel going to the speaker! Here's the block diagram from the manual:

image.png.4e9ffd07ec22c6ca16f0c2069f8e848b.png

On 2/7/2024 at 7:32 AM, Reezekeys said:

... I'll stop hawking my little Alto TX308s!....

Seriously, don't stop.   I like companies like Alto; good tools for good prices.   A lot of times, musicians become an expensive influence on one another.   The human mind is complex; sometimes people try to rationalize their own expensive purchases by making other buy the same thing.   Maybe it was some of you posts that influenced me to purchase a pair of Alto TS12s when they were on sale.  I like them a lot.   I try to stay away from companies that create an image/name and make people pay not only for the product but also for the image. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I poo-poo’ed the Vox VX50KB early in this thread but must now eat some crow. 
Could not resist today’s Stupid Deal and nabbed a Vox Mini Go 50 for a silly little price. It might not be as optimized for keys as the VX, but has a bunch of amp models and some onboard effects that I’ve been wanting in a practice amp for my EP’s and organs. 
Quite anxious to see if it will replace the Acoustic A40. One big trade-off is no Bluetooth on the Vox. The Acoustic has fairly decent sound at low volume if a bit boomy, but is rather noisy on the baseline. Hoping for clean and quiet operation with the Vox.

FWIW, when thinking of a reasonable/will-do-for-now amp for a freshly acquired keyboard (VOX Continental 61),
I remembered I have one of those brown Fender combo-amps-intended-for-acoustic-guitar around. Mine happens to be the Acoustasonic Jr DSP.

The main thing here is that these seem to be full-range stereo speaker systems (in a relatively small cabinet though, so stereo-spread is compromised),
and IIRC only one of the two speaker sides has a horn though, that's a pity.
BUT there are those chrome tiltback legs, very handy.

Related models may work as well; I'm using the FX-loop inputs (stereo-returns), so am in fact bypassing/ignoring the preamps & DSP.

So just an idea, if you happen to have one of these around as well. Apart from the sound (the most important), mine looks great next to that retro-ish orange VOX keyboard (bonus 🙂 ).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brenner13 said:

Well, I poo-poo’ed the Vox VX50KB early in this thread but must now eat some crow. 
Could not resist today’s Stupid Deal and nabbed a Vox Mini Go 50 for a silly little price. It might not be as optimized for keys as the VX, but has a bunch of amp models and some onboard effects that I’ve been wanting in a practice amp for my EP’s and organs. 
Quite anxious to see if it will replace the Acoustic A40. One big trade-off is no Bluetooth on the Vox. The Acoustic has fairly decent sound at low volume if a bit boomy, but is rather noisy on the baseline. Hoping for clean and quiet operation with the Vox.

Still rocking that Vox VX50KB with my Vox keyboards. 

I use a pair of TX310's for my rig (must have stereo or my main piano and some efx [auto pan on a Rhodes patch, for example] sound lifeless and just terrible.) 

Lightweight, very affordable, and very simple.  Downside is they only have an XLR in, no 1/4", which doesn't bother me at all, since my rig mixer is an XR18.  I send the main outs to FOH, and auxes 5 and 6 to the TX's.  If I'm in a situation where I need a little more power, I'll grab my TS212's.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I said I wasn't gonna hawk my TX308s anymore, but here's a PSA: it seems they've gone down in price. When I got them a year & a half ago I thought they were a bargain at $139 - looks like they're down to $119 at the USA online stores I've seen.

A bang for the buck, useful, decently powered, good sounding kybd amp is the latest Behringer KXD15 series - $400, 4 stereo channels input + 1 mic, stereo direct out (xlr and line), headphone out, built in fx if desired, 35-45lbs. Connect a second for true stereo onstage.  Could also consider the 12in model but I'd stay with the 15. Avoid earlier model Behringer, talking about KXD ultratone only. Definitely sound better than most Roland KB.
I used to bring out an Alto or pair and mixer but that got old fast (the load and haul was lame and unnecessary). They're fine for their purpose (PA/sound reinforcement ) but a one and done, all in one, amp solution that sounds decent is easier (reasonable).

Tried out the Vox Mini Go 50 for about an hour today…seems to have a bit of natural mid-range boost over the Acoustic A40; mostly noticeable with the AUX in. 
Running a Studiologic Numa Compact 2X through a Boss RT20 into the Vox provides a surprisingly loud punch. AC piano is nice and crisp; EP’s bark nicely and a blast to dial in some of the amp models; organ is mid-range-punchy and should cut through nicely. It’s quite light on the low frequencies but that should allow lots of room for a bass player at rehearsal. Dialing up the bass knob fills it up well enough, but makes it kind of muddy. Backing it off to about 1 or 2 o’clock seems to be the sweet spot for me. 

About half the size and weight of the Acoustic A40, I’m quite pleased with the Vox Mini Go 50. No Bluetooth and the microphone input being only 1/4” are the only quibbles so far. No line-out is a bummer, too.

Whoa! Tried out the cellphone battery pack on it and it works great! Perfect busking amp to pair with Roland VR09 running on 8 AA’s. Just gotta keep one of those XLR to 1/4” thingies around if a microphone is to be used. 

2 hours ago, JoJoB3 said:

A bang for the buck, useful, decently powered, good sounding kybd amp is the latest Behringer KXD15 series - $400, 4 stereo channels input + 1 mic, stereo direct out (xlr and line), headphone out, built in fx if desired, 35-45lbs. Connect a second for true stereo onstage.  Could also consider the 12in model but I'd stay with the 15. Avoid earlier model Behringer, talking about KXD ultratone only. Definitely sound better than most Roland KB.
I used to bring out an Alto or pair and mixer but that got old fast (the load and haul was lame and unnecessary). They're fine for their purpose (PA/sound reinforcement ) but a one and done, all in one, amp solution that sounds decent is easier (reasonable).

I gigged with that one for about a year and half. It was a decent sound, and the built-in effects actually sounded surprisingly good, but there would be times where I would be plugged in, and it would just make a piercing, short flatline burst of noise, and stop working. I'd have to turn it off then turn it on again. I thought I had a bad unit until I was in a pro audio store a couple years ago and became friends with the keyboard department rep there and one day, apropos a general conversation about amps, he mentioned the same thing I experienced happening to a KDX. 

1 hour ago, CHarrell said:

I gigged with that one for about a year and half. It was a decent sound, and the built-in effects actually sounded surprisingly good, but there would be times where I would be plugged in, and it would just make a piercing, short flatline burst of noise, and stop working. I'd have to turn it off then turn it on again. I thought I had a bad unit until I was in a pro audio store a couple years ago and became friends with the keyboard department rep there and one day, apropos a general conversation about amps, he mentioned the same thing I experienced happening to a KDX. 

I had that happen with both a JBL PRX15 and a QSC K12. Turns out whenever I sent a signal out of the speakers to FOH that was sending phantom power back into my speakers, they would overheat and shut down. There was some cool-down time required before they’d fire back up. Maybe not the same thing?

BTW still gigging those same speakers over a decade later.

4 hours ago, CHarrell said:

Ribbon cable connection 99% of the time. Clean and reseat.  Same goes for mackie mixers but more of a pita to get at.
That said have a couple KXD15 here going on 4 yrs all good where as I've already had to replace an Alto driver (though also an ez repair) 

Do understand KXD are listed at 'peak watts' (400 watt reality, but still pretty loud.  If ya need louder the direct out to house monitoring works well).

CA142122-B7FE-4DE6-A61F-F161B1CC1E6E.thumb.jpeg.0facd2fa63f6f04fe50f36f9b5aefbb3.jpegGood golly! Just gigged last night with the Vox Mini Go 50 on top of a QSC K12. The stage was one of the smallest we’ve done in a little one-horse town…maybe 10’x15’…five of us crammed up there. Drums, bass, guitar, keys, and a conga/harmonica player. 

I normally gig with either a Numa Compact 2X or a MODX7 under a VR09 on a OnStage 2-tier Z stand, running to a little mixer into a QSC K12 stacked on a JBL PRX15. That’s a pretty powerful yet lightweight rig with a fairly small footprint, but just no room in this particular juke joint. Decided to go with my practice rig: a tiny double braced x-stand holding the VR09, running directly into the QSC K12, but added the little Vox on top of that. This is a blues group that I do 90% organ for, so really didn’t miss the slab piano too much. I even bypassed the little mixer and plugged directly out of the VR09; L into the QSC / R into the Vox. Since  I only played organ all night, I chose to use the Deluxe CL amp model instead of the line input to give a little more character to the organ. I could not have been more pleased with the sound! Clean and sweet with the expression pedal pulled back and a fantastic crunchy punch when swelled to full volume. I think this may be my new speaker stack from now on. Might try the JBL in place of the QSC next time for a little more bottom end.

Just giddy about this little Vox amp.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 9:25 AM, Reezekeys said:

I said I wasn't gonna hawk my TX308s anymore, but here's a PSA: it seems they've gone down in price. When I got them a year & a half ago I thought they were a bargain at $139 - looks like they're down to $119 at the USA online stores I've seen.

Reeze, may I ask what kind of stands you (and others?) are using for the TX308s?  I have some heavy duty tripods for my now-vintage Made In USA EV 12's but they are huge and heavy and bulky.  I'd like something light and compact.

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

8 hours ago, sunspot said:

Reeze, may I ask what kind of stands you (and others?) are using for the TX308s?  I have some heavy duty tripods for my now-vintage Made In USA EV 12's but they are huge and heavy and bulky.  I'd like something light and compact

Can't get much lighter and more compact than these -

image.png.a31f5842284b01b1e1ca6893da2d49eb.png

Here they are in action. This is a very old picture, I use an iPad now, and those are my QSCs, not the TX308s, but the principle is the same. The horns being below ear level allow me to have the volume up louder so the direct path from the speakers mostly goes out to the room, while I still hear my rig at a volume balanced to my satisfaction.

image.png.fc2bc1d17e048ff9e76731cc27e7c180.png

• Like 1

I've thought about the step stool idea. I hadn't seen the tall ones, but I've wished the short ones were designed so you could velcro them to the bottom of the speaker and fold them up, so they would move as one piece with the speakers, and just be unfolded to put them in place.

But the short tripod works for me. I put it into the same tall thin carry bag that has my mic stand and some other stuff, so it's never taking an extra hand to bring in, and I leave it at its in-use height which makes its setup that much faster.

Tangentially related to another current thread... an advantage of the Alto 8" over the EV ZXa1 is that it is more stable on a short tripod. So this is another variable, which I hadn't considered until I ran into it... not every speaker works well on a short tripod. 

Ever since covid, I've been doing more LH bass gigs than in the past. It started because people were often holding smaller events and hiring the band with fewer pieces. So my other speaker stand lately has ended up being my bass amp, i.e. I sit my main speaker on top of it.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)