Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Billy Joel's New Single (No, Really, He Has New Music Out In 2024...)

38 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

The drummer is claiming to copy the “sound” of a Phill Ramone produced BJ song. Liberty’s playing and sound  was crucial to those Phil Ramone  productions.  I can relate to some random drummer, as I am just a random keyboard player.  I, nor just about anyone else on this forum, is in Billy Joel’s talent universe.  So when criticizing someone’s playing or writing abilities, I first look in the mirror.  

So you're a no on criticizing famous or successful people, but a yes on criticizing one another? Is that right? I am decidedly on the opposite end of that ethic.

Fern didn't know that video was going to go viral. The day the single was released, he put that together as an homage to Billy Joel and his career. It just happened to go viral in the meantime.

He's not claiming he is Liberty Devito. In fact, he's not a drummer. He's a badass guitar player and bass player, and a prolific record producer. That's him you see playing guitar in the Echo in the Canyon documentary. (Not that you're required to like him as a result, just introducing you to the person you felt comfortable criticizing.)

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

In spite of the lack of traditional song building, extra extra tracks, mid averaging low-mid averaging, some HiFi sound elements, and freedom in bringing the subject he's clearly dealing with, there's sample reconstruction preparation, no dark sub-tracks, and no horrible sound mangling, so I like that, together with the recognition of a very unique Joel like presence I liked in the 70s (and 80s? I don't recall), and still do.

Theo V.

• Like 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

2 hours ago, Polychrest said:

Thanks for this. So very interesting - it's not really Billy's tune. That changes a lot of perceptions, I would think.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jerrythek said:

Thanks for this. So very interesting - it's not really Billy's tune. That changes a lot of perceptions, I would think.

Yes, it's one of the more bizarre tales I've ever heard.    Billy lets a stranger into his life.   They become very close and begin musically collaborating.  The stranger springs one of his songs on Billy.   Billy doesn't hate it.   In Billy terms, this means he loves it.   They record it and it becomes a hit.

A cynic might think that this was an Op by Columbia/Sony as a cash grab.  That's the way it looks to me. 

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

28 minutes ago, jerrythek said:

4 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Yes, it's one of the more bizarre tales I've ever heard.    Billy lets a stranger into his life.   They become very close and begin musically collaborating.  The stranger springs one of his songs on Billy.   Billy doesn't hate it.   In Billy terms, this means he loves it.   They record it and it becomes a hit.

sounds not too far off from what I posted on Friday... "I have this thought that these other guys were writing a song, and said, 'Hey, you know, this sounds like a Billy Joel song, wouldn't it be a gas if we could get him to do it?' and then BJ takes it and adds a few finishing touches."

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

24 minutes ago, jerrythek said:

Billy Joel has long expressed how difficult writing new songs is for him, so if a Co-Writer can help him get back to releasing new songs, I'm all for it.

And as much as I like this new song, I firmly believe that Billy Joel has the potential for greater works ahead.  "Turn the Lights Back on to Me" feels like a solid B-side track or album track to me, rather than the kind of chart-topping A-side singles he has released in the past.

Keyboard: Nord Piano 4

Guitar: Seagull S6 Original 2008

40 minutes ago, jerrythek said:

I read the article - maybe I misread, but I thought it said that the guy asked Billy if he had any unfinished songs, and Billy sent him a cd of a this song (partially finished), and the guy didn't have a cd player... so happening he doesn't have any ancient technology, and all that.  🙂

5 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

I read the article - maybe I misread, but I thought it said that the guy asked Billy if he had any unfinished songs, and Billy sent him a cd of a this song (partially finished), and the guy didn't have a cd player... so happening he doesn't have any ancient technology, and all that.  🙂

No it was Wexler's and his friends:

"The two went back and forth working on the material, growing close in the process, and Wexler eventually revealed he had a song he’d started with a few friends that he wanted Joel to hear: “Turn the Lights Back On,” a slow-building track in a waltzing 6/8 meter with a reflective narrator hoping to save a flagging romance. (One of Joel’s most famous songs — the one that provided his nickname — is also in that atypical pop time signature.)

To Wexler’s relief, Joel approved of the music. When he finally roped his hero into a recording session and persuaded him to take the mic, Wexler excitedly burst through the studio doors and asked how it felt. “Like singing, I guess,” Joel told him."

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

A red carpet Grammys interview with Freddy Wexler touching on the sound/upcomingalbum genesis. 

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

Tomorrow night at MSG will be my 123rd time seeing him, because of him I am on this board as I got 52nd street 45 years ago this week when I was in kindergarten.

The middle defintely reminded me of Morning Has Broken with Rick Wakeman on the piano.

I'm pleased that he released something new and that of course he is still playing live. THe shows seem more relaxed than his 90's tours for sure. 

• Love 1