Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When Men Made (and played) Synthesizers

With as far as I know Tom (Oberheim) and Dr K still standing, it seems to me there's not much manly design going on in the keyboard world, which is a shame. All those self-conscious boyish and especially little daring activities make basically cowardice instrument variations which aren't doomed to fail be me, but I feel they don't deserve too much honor either, or prices for originality.

Theo V

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SMcD said:

How does one tell when a synth is designed in a manly way?

ARE YOU READY FOR THE RAW DRIPPING TESTOSTERONE OF TWO OSCILLATORS WITH SIMPLE WAVEFORMS???? THE SHEER POWER OF A LOW-PASS FILTER????? NO YOU'RE NOT, BECAUSE THIS IS AN INSTRUMENT FOR MEN, MANLY, HULKING, MEN!!!! A HIGH PASS FILTER???? YOU WANT A HIGH PASS FILTER???? WHY, FOR THOSE GIRLY HIGH-PITCHED FREQUENCIES???? A SUB OSCILLATOR??? WE'VE ONLY GOT DOMINANT OSCILLATORS ON HERE!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

ARE YOU READY FOR THE RAW DRIPPING TESTOSTERONE OF TWO OSCILLATORS WITH SIMPLE WAVEFORMS???? THE SHEER POWER OF A LOW-PASS FILTER????? NO YOU'RE NOT, BECAUSE THIS IS AN INSTRUMENT FOR MEN, MANLY, HULKING, MEN!!!! A HIGH PASS FILTER???? YOU WANT A HIGH PASS FILTER???? WHY, FOR THOSE GIRLY HIGH-PITCHED FREQUENCIES???? A SUB OSCILLATOR??? WE'VE ONLY GOT DOMINANT OSCILLATORS ON HERE!!!!!

I can hear this message, down to the explosion/eagle/face-punch sound effects.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm sure any female synthesists/players would be thrilled to read that cringeworthy paragraph, assuming they could make sense of it.  Oh wait, we don't see many of those around here, I wonder why.

I just watched a mind-blowing Namm demo of u-he's Zebralette.   There's plenty of innovation happening, though perhaps not with circuitry and antelope bones and other manly materials I couldn't say.

• Thanks 1

Clearly, the gender neutral plane has not touched down in every part of the world and/or some folks missed their flight.

Except for a few bright colors and rounded edges, most KB design have remained the same over many decades...rather dull and boring.

KB design is the handiwork of human beings who might be more technical than artistic.  I wouldn't give all credit or blame to either gender.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

3 hours ago, Stokely said:

I'm sure any female synthesists/players would be thrilled to read that cringeworthy paragraph, assuming they could make sense of it.  Oh wait, we don't see many of those around here, I wonder why.

Hello? There was a woman named Suzanne Ciani, who made a few electronic recordings in the 70s and who also worked with legendary synthesis Don Buchla on the Buchla synthesizer. Betcha didn’t know that?

1 hour ago, mpn_user7629 said:

I've always preferred synths with utilitarian looks and designs.

I want right angles - something you feel you have a good grip on when carrying. The lack of them on the PC3 made me nervous.

59 minutes ago, Ivan May said:

There was a woman named Suzanne Ciani

She was wonderful!

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

5 hours ago, Theo Verelst said:

With as far as I know Tom (Oberheim) and Dr K still standing, it seems to me there's not much manly design going on in the keyboard world, which is a shame. All those self-conscious boyish and especially little daring activities make basically cowardice instrument variations which aren't doomed to fail be me, but I feel they don't deserve too much honor either, or prices for originality.

Theo V

Let me guess, you’re working on a script for a movie called A Few Good Synthesists.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Son, we live in a world that has synthesizers, and those synthesizers have to be made by men with filters. Who's gonna do it? You? I eat breakfast 3 patch cords from 2 voltage controlled oscillators …

• Like 1

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

"All those self-conscious boyish and especially little daring activities make basically cowardice instrument variations which aren't doomed to fail be me,"

I must admit to some puzzlement at this one. Its sort of like trying to understand James Brown, HEAH! If I at least partially understand, I can relate to how cutesy, pwecious widdle baby synths & puny gleep music can seem to undermine more serious, sweat-inducing woodshedding. I started on piano, so I listen for the >sweat< in any music I hear. There's an interesting loose line between two-fisted playing and things we know are mainly studio craft. No harm or foul, because that's just another module of being immersed in music.

However, I've seen a few women who were tougher than the next three men mashed into one, like the drummer who wailed so hard, you could charge your phone just by aiming it at her kit while she played. I'd like a replacement word for 'manly' that included that energy without waving its wang in my face.       

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

8 minutes ago, niacin said:

Son, we live in a world that has synthesizers, and those synthesizers have to be made by men with filters. Who's gonna do it? You? I eat breakfast 3 patch cords from 2 voltage controlled oscillators …

Niacin, listen. I feel the need...the need for LFO speed!

5 minutes ago, David Emm said:

I must admit to some puzzlement at this one. Its sort of like trying to understand James Brown, HEAH!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, SMcD said:

How does one tell when a synth is designed in a manly way?

That's easy, they're played by men wearing capes!

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I have not wanted to imply women shouldn't design or play synthesizers/keyboards, in fact I'm a proponent of the idea, but at the same time: which women current make synthesized music like mature, interesting ladies can ? Maybe nobody is motivated, like, yesterday I watched Netflix "we are the world" info/docu, it seems after that more or less, much music has been on hold and nothing very excitingly new was invented at great hit level. That's a similar observation IMO.

T

1 hour ago, Theo Verelst said:

...which women current make synthesized music like mature, interesting ladies can ? Maybe nobody is motivated, like, yesterday I watched Netflix "we are the world" info/docu, it seems after that more or less, much music has been on hold and nothing very excitingly new was invented at great hit level.

Synthesizer technology has enjoyed a resurgence since the Prophet '08 but IMO, interesting music using synthesizers waned back in the early 1990s.

Back in the 1980s, many musicians were using synthesizers which led to incorporating them into existing styles of music and creating new styles of music that were synth-heavy.

Also IMO, synthesizers are still a viable tool in the musician's toolbox but hit records using synths are long gone.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 1/31/2024 at 5:50 AM, Theo Verelst said:

I have not wanted to imply women shouldn't design or play synthesizers/keyboards, in fact I'm a proponent of the idea, but at the same time: which women current make synthesized music like mature, interesting ladies can ?

Forgive me for being dense, but what does this even mean?

Give some examples, please: of music you consider manly and full of grunt and sweat or whatever pulls your daisy, and of what a mature interesting lady is. There's something being lost in translation, at least to me. When I hear "mature interesting ladies" it sounds like an ad for importing brides from Russia.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music