Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

All Frasier intros transcribed

I might be late to the party with this. I recently subscribed to Sky Showtime to watch again Twin Peaks but my wife discovered that old Frasier show and has been watching it for the last few weeks. I don’t like it much but I hear some nice bluesy jazz jingles here and there and it seems someone transcribed all of them on YouTube:

• Like 8
  • Love 2

I didn't grow up in a Frasier household (my dad was more into Seinfeld) but my wife brought a love of that show into our marriage and now it's one of my go-to comfort shows. At its best -- and it stays pretty consistently funny even through the later seasons -- it's old-school, door-slamming farce, a 22-minute Neil Simon play every episode.

Haven't been able to bring myself to watch the recent revival (let's be honest, I'm not in it for Kelsey Grammer; David Hyde Pierce *made* that show) but you can bet I'll be watching the 1996 comedy of errors "Look Before You Leap" on February 29th this year.

Oh yeah, and the swanky jazz score is pretty cool too. :) 

• Like 5

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Every time I see this thread, I think it says “Ali Frasier intros transcribed,” and now I’m thinking someone needs to transcribe Howard Cosell and do a big band arrangement around it.

• Haha 3

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Fun!

Now what I want to see is: All 'Everybody Loves Raymond' intros transcribed.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

54 minutes ago, K K said:

This episode is the source of one of the most quotable lines in the entire show: "if less is more, imagine how much more more would be!"

I think about that in the recording studio ... all the time. :roll: 

Samuel B. Lupowitz

7 minutes ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

This episode is the source of one of the most quotable lines in the entire show: "if less is more, imagine how much more more would be!"

Although I’m not a huge fan of the show (but the wife is mad about it and has been binge watching it every free minute for the last weeks) I watched that episode the other day since it was music related and when he said that line I laughed a lot 😀 I believe many on this forum would agree with it, right!

• Haha 1

Just now, CyberGene said:

Although I’m not a huge fan of the show (but the wife is mad about it and has been binge watching it every free minute for the last weeks) I watched that episode the other day since it was music related and when he said that line I laughed a lot 😀 I believe many on this forum would agree with it, right!

There's another episode where Frasier and Niles help Martin finish a song he wrote for Frank Sinatra. Season 3. Might enjoy that one as well!

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

4 hours ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

That reminds me of an interview with Wayne Shorter a while back: there was a sizeable chunk of musicians who were not happy with Ken Burns' Jazz documentary, out of the belief that it presented a somewhat conservative, backwards-looking view of the art form, in large part due to the influence of Wynton Marsalis.

After the documentary, the producer dude behind all those shows like Two and a Half Men, Big Bang Theory, etc. came up to Wayne at a party and said something like, "Yeah man, shame about that documentary! We gotta keep jazz fresh and alive."

Wayne's response: "Then why don't you have hip music on your shows?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

I think about that in the recording studio ... all the time. :roll: 

Yes there are quite a few fun musical moments throughout the episodes. As you probably remember, this complicated orchestral version of the radio song ends up in a very efficient short one at the end of the episode. Also, it is worth mentioning that the actor playing Niles plays piano very well. When you see him play piano in several episodes either at Frasier's or in his own fancy apartment in the show, it is actually real playing.   :keys2:

• Love 1

Thanks for posting!   I agree with Bobby as to the pedagogical usefulness!

I never gravitated to Frasier.  Now Cheers....  and that theme song!!!

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Revisiting episodes of Frasier revives one of the more challenging pub questions faced by men of a certain age: Daphne or Roz?

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

10 hours ago, Radagast said:

I liked the show and the music.

I liked Eddie the dog best. The rest of the show was amusing, too. I take perverse pleasure in the convoluted problems that are often best expressed by goofy white people. I loosely consider "Frasier" to be an ideal mirror-show to watch opposite "Married With Children." From the right angle, both are horrors. 😬

• Haha 1

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Unpopular opinion I guess, but I hated that show. It was so mannered. It was like Seinfeld meets Golden Girls meets some random radio drama from the 1940s. 

Cute music though for sure. Wasn't there also a song that he sang?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

13 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

Wasn't there also a song that he sang?

Yes, he sang the theme song... and you can hear that some of the jazzy vibes themes in the OP are derived from that. (Possibly they all are. With jazz, who knows?)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

It’s the theme song that I actually started seeking as sheet music. There’s another video on YouTube with a transcription but I didn’t bookmark it and I’m yet mid-sleep to find again but I made screenshots on my iPhone and stitched it into a PDF, so here it is. 

Frasier Theme.pdf

• Love 1

21 hours ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

I didn't grow up in a Frasier household (my dad was more into Seinfeld) but my wife brought a love of that show into our marriage and now it's one of my go-to comfort shows. At its best -- and it stays pretty consistently funny even through the later seasons -- it's old-school, door-slamming farce, a 22-minute Neil Simon play every episode.

Haven't been able to bring myself to watch the recent revival (let's be honest, I'm not in it for Kelsey Grammer; David Hyde Pierce *made* that show) but you can bet I'll be watching the 1996 comedy of errors "Look Before You Leap" on February 29th this year.

Great writing, cast and music. It’s my go to, on in the background/need to disconnect show that’s almost always playing via Pluto in our house.

• Love 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

13 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

Unpopular opinion I guess, but I hated that show. It was so mannered. It was like Seinfeld meets Golden Girls meets some random radio drama from the 1940s. 

For me, as someone who got into the show 20 years after it aired, I feel like the self-importance and pomposity of Frasier and Niles is usually the butt of the joke -- their attempts at social climbing and self-aggrandizement pretty much always blow up in their faces. Though I will say, as a former English major, I'm a sucker for an arcane literary joke, and the show is full of those. Definitely less about the minutiae of everyday life than Seinfeld, which was also impeccably written, but with fewer quips about Chaucer, midcentury American theater ("Well, I wish you had lent her your Tennessee Williams biography. She wouldn't have kept forgetting his name and calling him Indiana Jones") and expensive wine.

Like all 90s sitcoms, there are some ideas and moments that have aged poorly, but it generally does pretty well compared to its peers -- it's much less homophobic than, say, Friends. And the writing is almost always stellar and erudite, like playwriting (which, if we're going to keep picking on Friends even though nobody asked, that's definitely not something you can say for that show, either).

17 hours ago, K K said:

Also, it is worth mentioning that the actor playing Niles plays piano very well. When you see him play piano in several episodes either at Frasier's or in his own fancy apartment in the show, it is actually real playing.   :keys2:

I love the moments when they get David Hyde Pierce to play the piano. Kelsey Grammer is always very obviously miming, but by a few seasons in they start looking for excuses for Niles to play instead of Frasier. I sang the praises of David Hyde Pierce in a previous post in this thread, but I think it's worth mentioning again how key his immense talent was to the success of the show. His physical comedy is magic (never better displayed than in the nearly-dialogue-less opening segment of the "Three Valentines" episode), and as a stage actor who has done everything from Spamalot to Sondheim, he brings a certain groundedness and finesse to a character that could otherwise be overly cartoonish, or a pale rehash of his onscreen brother.

13 hours ago, Polychrest said:

Revisiting episodes of Frasier revives one of the more challenging pub questions faced by men of a certain age: Daphne or Roz?

Listen, she might be close to my mother's age, but Peri Gilpin can still get it. 😉 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

The show was awesome, and the writing suffered around the 7th season but they brough it back.  My dad and I loved this show. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

3 hours ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

For me, as someone who got into the show 20 years after it aired, I feel like the self-importance and pomposity of Frasier and Niles is usually the butt of the joke -- their attempts at social climbing and self-aggrandizement pretty much always blow up in their faces. Though I will say, as a former English major, I'm a sucker for an arcane literary joke, and the show is full of those. Definitely less about the minutiae of everyday life than Seinfeld, which was also impeccably written, but with fewer quips about Chaucer, midcentury American theater ("Well, I wish you had lent her your Tennessee Williams biography. She wouldn't have kept forgetting his name and calling him Indiana Jones") and expensive wine.

Like all 90s sitcoms, there are some ideas and moments that have aged poorly, but it generally does pretty well compared to its peers -- it's much less homophobic than, say, Friends. And the writing is almost always stellar and erudite, like playwriting (which, if we're going to keep picking on Friends even though nobody asked, that's definitely not something you can say for that show, either).

I love the moments when they get David Hyde Pierce to play the piano. Kelsey Grammer is always very obviously miming, but by a few seasons in they start looking for excuses for Niles to play instead of Frasier. I sang the praises of David Hyde Pierce in a previous post in this thread, but I think it's worth mentioning again how key his immense talent was to the success of the show. His physical comedy is magic (never better displayed than in the nearly-dialogue-less opening segment of the "Three Valentines" episode), and as a stage actor who has done everything from Spamalot to Sondheim, he brings a certain groundedness and finesse to a character that could otherwise be overly cartoonish, or a pale rehash of his onscreen brother.

Listen, she might be close to my mother's age, but Peri Gilpin can still get it. 😉 

I wholeheartedly endorse this message as the second declared member of the Order of Millennial Keyboardists and Frasier Fans.

• Love 1

Loved 90s Frasier. Two quotes are perpetually stuck in my head:

Firstly this exchange, concerning Frasier's attempt to write a theme for his radio show:

Frasier: All right, um... in my first stanza, I want to represent myself as the... ombudsman between the conscious and subconscious minds of my listeners.

Martin: Ah. Well, there you are, that's the song right there. All we need is a rhyme for "ombudsman" and we can go to bed.

Frasier: Well, I was playing around with "Norse woodsman."

And then there's this one-line masterpiece:

My favorite is the 6th piece. However, there are quite few nits in the transcription:

1) It's in the key of F, not Eb.

2) The first chord is a C major or C dominant, serving as V, not a minor.

3) The second chord is Eb13b5 with 9. Marking it as F/Eb misses the quiet Db note and obscures its dominant 13 nature. This is a benign one since F/Eb is easy to play at a glance and only sounds slightly blander.

4) The third chord is D9sus4, the piano staff missed both an A and E note, and sounded too bland as a result. Marking the chord as Bb69/D not only obscures the dominant nature of the chord, but also risks introducing a Bb note that significantly changes its sound, in a bad way.

5) The top G note of the third chord is already played by both the guitar and the vibraphone. Repeating it yet again, on the piano, is just bad arrangement that wasn't in the recording.

All Frasier intros (transcription) (1080p_24fps_VP9-128kbit_AAC).mkv_snapshot_01.01_[2024.01.31_14.39.48].png

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 6:16 PM, CyberGene said:

It’s the theme song that I actually started seeking as sheet music. There’s another video on YouTube with a transcription but I didn’t bookmark it and I’m yet mid-sleep to find again but I made screenshots on my iPhone and stitched it into a PDF, so here it is. 

Frasier Theme.pdf 1.78 MB · 12 downloads

It's in my Hal Leonard TV Themes Fake book that I got 20 years ago. I play it at the Padres games anytime the Mariners are in town.

• Like 2

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native