Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha E.S.P - as it pertains to Montage M

5 minutes ago, Analogaddict said:

I have no idea, I leant it to the bass player in our band and haven’t laid hands on it since August. Are there settings I should check? :)

lol yes. You want to go to squint resolution to fit big VSTs user interfaces that don’t resize well. 

• Love 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

On 1/28/2024 at 9:09 AM, konaboy said:

no, i think the others are right.  most expensive vst ever.

$5000 for the plugin bur you do get a free M8X.

Clearly, you guys never took introductory philosophy and the study of logic 😂:poke:

Has anyone been able to explain the inexplicable presence of a relief photo of a Montage rather than a keybed in the UI?

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

7 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Clearly, you guys never took introductory philosophy and the study of logic 😂:poke:

Has anyone been able to explain the inexplicable presence of a relief photo of a Montage rather than a keybed in the UI?

Well, new hardware shipped in November and v1.0 of the software in January. Will you allow v1.1 to ship before you write off the entire project? You seem to care a lot about something you don't have. BTW, where can I get your CD?

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

1 hour ago, Motif88 said:

Well, new hardware shipped in November and v1.0 of the software in January. Will you allow v1.1 to ship before you write off the entire project? You seem to care a lot about something you don't have.

Sorry to have annoyed you.    I only ask these questions as an interested person who plans to have one.  

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

The more I consider what the Montage would be like as a plug-in, the more it feels like trying to clip Godzilla's toenails and not get squashed. Never mind how big a system hog it might be. That's no deal-breaker if it speaks to you. No, my non-issue is just the waste of power if you didn't push aside half of your other gear and dig into the Montage seriously. No one workstation hits 100% of the marks for everyone, but when they're so immense, you all but take them on as a dependent. Its definitely not just some fringe freebie you found in the depths of the Net!

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

36 minutes ago, David Emm said:

No, my non-issue is just the waste of power if you didn't push aside half of your other gear and dig into the Montage seriously

That's a good way to put it.   When I first got my hands on the original Montage when it was first released, my first thought as an engineer was, "My God, this is a piece of test equipment in addition to a musical instrument".  An unlimited plethora of avenues for exploration.    I shortly thereafter acquired a DSI OB6 and thought, "Between these two, this is all I'll ever need until the end of the universe".

As hard to believe possible, I think the new Montage M8x ups the ante further and is pretty compelling.  My only hesitation is the lack of time available, when I've still only explored 20% at best of what I have.   

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

3 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

I was thinking that not being finished software, it was just a "placeholder" until further functionality is included?

Despite my issues with resources hogging, I still find it a great offering, and the problems I have with it is in a narrow set of conditions. On the whole, most performances are pretty light on resources. It's just some of them, particularly the older Montage motion perfs that I have trouble with. Also sounds with longer releases and lots of polyphony, like when I play orchestral harp manually fingering arpeggios with two hands across the range. This is only the live playing situation.

I suspect, if I laid down multiple tracks, (which I haven't yet), and had Logic play that back, things may be somewhat better.

In the end it doesn't fuss me too much,  as the ESP at this stage is just a curio to play with, then I go back to my real Montage if I want punch out 2 fisted chords in reatlime👍

• Like 1

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

10 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Sorry to have annoyed you.    I only ask these questions as an interested person who plans to have one.  

My apologies, it’s easy to get snippy in posts after a tough day. While far from perfect, I’m hopeful that updates to ESP will make it more valuable. I can say that having the Montage M as a software instrument in Logic provides options for workflow and creation. Yes, you need to buy a Montage M to gain access but once installed, you can use multiple instances of ESP without the Montage M. If playing live gigs, the ability to have my Montage M8x sounds without lugging 62lbs is big benefit. First step, we need Yamaha to fix the sync function between the Montage and ESP.

• Like 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

I'm curious to know what you all would consider a reasonable price if Yamaha offered the Montage M software as a standalone version similar to Keyscape or Omnisphere. 

The rackmount hardware ship seems to have sailed a long time ago.

Yamaha hasn't had a tone generator since the Motif rack I believe.

Montage M software mainly sounds only runnng on a tablet or laptop could be a modern day equivalent of a rackmount. It would sell like hotcakes.😁😎 

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

32 minutes ago, ProfD said:

I'm curious to know what you all would consider a reasonable price if Yamaha offered the Montage M software as a standalone version similar to Keyscape or Omnisphere. 

Honestly I'd pay Keyscape prices, maybe $100USD more even.

Well Keyscape is roughly $400 and Omnisphere is $500. Once the Montage ESP get's fully implemented, I can see it being $500 as a freestanding plug-in, no hardware required.

• Like 1

Using:

Sold/Traded:

Just a reminder of the Apple requirements:

• Mac: MacOS Monterey or later
  • Plugin format: VST 3, AU v2
  • Minimum CPU: Intel Core i5 (late 2015 or later) or Apple Silicon M1 or later
  • Apple Silicon M series is recommended.
  •  
  • Minimum system memory: 8 Gb RAM or more
  • Storage required: 10 Gb free space.
  • Display resolution: 1440 x 870 or above recommended.

My latest is 2017 iMacPro so it may limp along.  My immediate problem is an iWatch 9 gift that requires me to upgrade my iPhone X. 

I can see it now 😩:

- Montage M8x.

-  Mac Mini M2 Pro

-  iPhone 15

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Korg Collection 4 - $399, no subscription.  Occasionally on sale, like right now for $299. 

KorgCollection.thumb.jpg.ba17a8e8a74ded5f8a67fa7abfa95f45.jpg

I'd say the Montage M ESP is probably more similar to Roland Galaxias which is like their collection in one massive VST.  For the moment Galaxias requires a Roland Cloud subscription ($19.99 a month).  I'm not sure what Roland will/may charge for a lifetime license.  Zenology Pro has a lifetime license for $229 (they assume we'll now and again buy sounds for it).  

I'm glad to see Yamaha is finally coming around to offering software that acknowledges their brand and their historic instruments (as opposed to purchasing Steinberg and having everything software be Steinberg).  Now they just have to figure out what their strategy and business model will be.  I'm guessing the Montage M owners are the beta testers so they can release a solid product when they are ready.  

VSTs like Montage M and Galaxias for sure are going to require a modern computer.  Same as when Omnisphere/Keyscape was released it was built for the most current of hardware.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I'd say the Montage M ESP is probably more similar to Roland Galaxias which is like their collection in one massive VST. 

Roland Cloud stuff, obtuse as always. I wasn't familiar with this one, so I went to the ridiculously long-but-unhelpful web page (a mile long scrolling bunch of mostly useless pictures with precious little info),... I couldn't even find a list of what instrument emulations were included. 

Still, the Montage offering seems very different from anything by Roland or Korg... as I unerstand it, it will ultimately be a complete software recreation of the entire Montage M sounds and workflow. While Korg and Roland offer various bits and pieces, there's no actual software versions of a Kronos/Naultilus or Fantom to be had. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I think Yamaha is proceeding carefully with many factors involved.  The main two that come to mind:

- Do not cannibalize Hardware Montage M sales without first establishing the correct price on the standalone vst.

- Get feedback using the free vst via Montage HW users (no disgruntled customers) to make sure the standalone version comes out smoothly.

• Like 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

20 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

Roland Cloud stuff, obtuse as always. I wasn't familiar with this one, so I went to the ridiculously long-but-unhelpful web page (a mile long scrolling bunch of mostly useless pictures with precious little info),... I couldn't even find a list of what instrument emulations were included. 

Still, the Montage offering seems very different from anything by Roland or Korg... as I unerstand it, it will ultimately be a complete software recreation of the entire Montage M sounds and workflow. While Korg and Roland offer various bits and pieces, there's no actual software versions of a Kronos/Naultilus or Fantom to be had. 

Galaxias is an environment that ties all of Roland’s software instruments together like a workstation.  It’s a host for Roland Cloud.  

The Montage M is similar in that it ties together FM, AN, AWM2 in a workstation environment.  But it is also in some ways like Roland’s plug-out concept in that your hardware and software reflect each other.   I hope Yamaha offers a standalone version of Montage M that doesn’t require a host.  

1 hour ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Just a reminder of the Apple requirements:

• Mac: MacOS Monterey or later
  • Plugin format: VST 3, AU v2
  • Minimum CPU: Intel Core i5 (late 2015 or later) or Apple Silicon M1 or later
  • Apple Silicon M series is recommended.
  •  
  • Minimum system memory: 8 Gb RAM or more
  • Storage required: 10 Gb free space.
  • Display resolution: 1440 x 870 or above recommended.

My latest is 2017 iMacPro so it may limp along.  My immediate problem is an iWatch 9 gift that requires me to upgrade my iPhone X. 

I can see it now 😩:

- Montage M8x.

-  Mac Mini M2 Pro

-  iPhone 15

Not sure new software should have to be backwards compatible with 7-8 year old hardware. At some point it’s time to move on. At least you have half a shot with a 2017 Mac, windoze is another (mess) story.

Using:

Sold/Traded:

35 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Galaxias is an environment that ties all of Roland’s software instruments together like a workstation.  It’s a host for Roland Cloud.  

Does it recognize MIDI Program Change? So you can plug in the controller of your choice and call up your patches right from your board?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1 hour ago, jazzpiano88 said:

I think Yamaha is proceeding carefully with many factors involved.  The main two that come to mind:

- Do not cannibalize Hardware Montage M sales without first establishing the correct price on the standalone vst.

- Get feedback using the free vst via Montage HW users (no disgruntled customers) to make sure the standalone version comes out smoothly.

I was thinking about that, and I'm sure it's been brought up before, but on the first point: I do wonder how much a VST would take away from hardware sales, especially given its high and premium price tag. For example, myself? I'm not gonna buy a Montage M, and don't have any intention of doing so. So that's $4,000+ they're not getting from me. However, if I bought the software for whatever they would charge for it, that'd give them profit, yeah?

I wonder if Yamaha might even be considering ESP as a subscription? 😵  Do Yamaha have any musical product that is subscriber?

Rather than a hardware sales killer, they might see that as teasing way of getting people to sample the product and then buying the hardware! Or keep the subscription going.

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

Just now, DeltaJockey said:

I wonder if Yamaha might even be considering ESP as a subscription? 😵  Do Yamaha have any musical product that is subscriber?

Rather than a hardware sales killer, they might see that as teasing way of getting people to sample the product and then buying the hardware! Or keep the subscription going.

I was wondering the same, especially after Roland Cloud was brought up. 

Subscription might be rightly aimed at those who can't afford the hardware, at least in the short term, and even those who convulse at $500 for the software outright.

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:

Does it recognize MIDI Program Change? So you can plug in the controller of your choice and call up your patches right from your board?

That is the question of the day.   I’m hoping someone will chime in! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

That is the question of the day.   I’m hoping someone will chime in! 

From what I can tell, No (not yet). I have it installed on a Macbook Pro, and controlling it with my RD88. When I increment program up, I have the script window open on Logic and I see the Program Change messages scrolling though, but alas the ESP doesn't change performances. Unless there's something else I've missed, but there's not a lot to the settings as yet.

I am able to map cc's to change scenes though, from an external controller.

However in my investigations I've discovered a couple of things in plain site which may be of interest:

For those having trouble with fitting the window on a lower res screen, in settings there is a large and small button, which reduced the plugin window down for smaller screens.

There is clearly from my experience some performances which are heavy on resources, but I see next to buffer size in GB, there is a "Lite" mode. When selected, the performances which are heavy on my system and did have sound breakup, now work perfectly. I hear no difference in the sound. Can't believe I missed that!

On 1/31/2024 at 7:16 AM, Analogaddict said:

I installed it on my 2015 MBP today - unfortunately the UI doesn’t fit the screen and I can’t find any way to resize it… 🤦‍♂️I can’t scroll to the first two parts and therefore I can’t load anything. I’ll try again tomorrow. 

Did you set the display size button in the settings to small? It should fit then.

• Like 1

If anyone's interested, there's a firmware update for the hardware from 1.20 to 1.21. It fixes the syncing issue. I tried it and it works now.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Motif88 said:

Well Keyscape is roughly $400 and Omnisphere is $500. Once the Montage ESP get's fully implemented, I can see it being $500 as a freestanding plug-in, no hardware required.

So far, I believe $500 is the highest I've seen in answer to my question.  

I think Yamaha could sell a Montage M software standalone version for $899 MSRP and clean up. Especially considering the Yamaha user base. 

There are folks who would be happy to keep their legacy Yamaha KBs and add the latest sounds via a modern day rackmount in the form of software on a tablet or laptop. 

It's probably already in the pipeline but if Yamaha is reading...I just whispered a million-dollar maker.  Let me know where that $100k commission should be sent.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

13 minutes ago, ProfD said:

So far, I believe $500 is the highest I've seen in answer to my question.  

I think Yamaha could sell a Montage M software standalone version for $899 MSRP and clean up. Especially considering the Yamaha user base. 

There are folks who would be happy to keep their legacy Yamaha KBs and add the latest sounds via a modern day rackmount in the form of software on a tablet or laptop. 

It's probably already in the pipeline but if Yamaha is reading...I just whispered a million-dollar maker.  Let me know where that $100k commission should be sent.😁😎

10gb sample library 

AN virtual analogue synth

FM synth

It’s not quite as robust as NI Komplete for example ($599-$1799).  Or MainStage ($29.99) for that matter.  But if it were to function standalone it would be an interesting alternative and offer consistency for those that work with and without the hardware Montage M.