Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha E.S.P - as it pertains to Montage M

I do not own an M, I just have the idea it would interest me (contrary to most other things), I was just trying to get some info. Workload and reliable maximum processor power for a plugin on Windows as well as cache use strategies that are reliable depending on virtual memory management, memory bandwidth are noteasy to understand or measure, and may depend on the mode you use (e.g. energy saving or power).

It's possible to create reliable software with loose real time properties, but as soon as the processor (and possibly even the graphics and other cards) will start to get some real work done, and get hot as a result, reliable drop out free and constant response delay audio is hard to achieve, these machines are not really excellently made for real time behavior..

T.

Oh, ok. Well I haven't used a windows machine for a number of years, (though I do have a few virtual windows machines on a Mac). Fortunately, reduced efficiency due to overheating doesn't seem to be a problem on the Apple Silicon. ESP doesn't raise the temperature at all, no other music software does either. In the 3 years I've had my M1 Pro laptop, the fans have never come on, even with lots of plugins and high CPU usage. As Elmer mentioned in response to my complaint, it would be good if ESP could utilitise several cpu cores when necessary.

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

52 minutes ago, DeltaJockey said:

Oh, ok. Well I haven't used a windows machine for a number of years, (though I do have a few virtual windows machines on a Mac). Fortunately, reduced efficiency due to overheating doesn't seem to be a problem on the Apple Silicon. ESP doesn't raise the temperature at all, no other music software does either. In the 3 years I've had my M1 Pro laptop, the fans have never come on, even with lots of plugins and high CPU usage. As Elmer mentioned in response to my complaint, it would be good if ESP could utilitise several cpu cores when necessary.

These new Macs provide excellent performance with much greater efficiency.  Example, the “2020 M1-equipped Mac Mini draws 7 watts when idle and 39 watts at maximum load.”   They don’t get nearly as hot and require much less cooling. Even a maxed out Mac Studio is very quiet as warm air exits the perforated case.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Yes , I have a Mac Studio in my "studio". It sits at 39degC at idle, and "ramps" all the way up to about 44degress on high load :)

To be fair, the Mac studio has large slow running fans all the time, which are not a bother, and they never seem to change speed from slow either!

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.