Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Korg Modules!

“doubled the Opsix's polyphony from 32 to 64 voices and introduced new "sound components, waveforms, filters, shaping possibilities, effects, LFOs, envelopes, modulations and more”

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Not a game-changer but Korg definitely punched up in releasing module versions of those units currently detained in 3 octave KBs with crap-tastic action.🤣😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

2 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

“doubled the Opsix's polyphony from 32 to 64 voices and introduced new "sound components, waveforms, filters, shaping possibilities, effects, LFOs, envelopes, modulations and more”

Also.... "This model supports MIDI 2.0 property exchange'"

Oh, and... "Maximum Polyphony 80 voices"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Not a game-changer but Korg definitely punched up in releasing module versions of those units currently detained in 3 octave KBs with crap-tastic action.🤣😎

Some potential cannibalization too, as the combo of one of the synth modules plus Korg Keystage could arguably be a superior alternative to the SE keyboard version of the same synth.

14 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Some potential cannibalization too, as the combo of one of the synth modules plus Korg Keystage could arguably be a superior alternative to the SE keyboard version of the same synth.

It looks like there are already rack modifications on kickstarter.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

8 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

It looks like there are already rack modifications on kickstarter.  

Yes, although reaction from customers who bought them appear to be neutral.   In other words, they don't appear too upset that they spent $200 or whatever on a module conversion kit, only to see Korg release official modules... and to rub salt in the wound, implement MiDI 2.0 and increase polyphony on top of that.

From the standpoint of spending and space saving, one Keystage controller plus 3 modules is more effective use of resources than buying 3 SE keyboard versions of these 3 synths.

Christ, Korg are on fire. Just went to Musicradar and nearly every article is new Korg gear.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

I thought there were new Korg Module modules. Seems these are just Korg modules. 

Damn, I got excited there for a minute.

With all the Korg releases this week, and gadget 3 being released, I really won’t be surprised to see Korg Module X released soon to make the best of the Keystage

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

21 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

Christ, Korg are on fire. Just went to Musicradar and nearly every article is new Korg gear.

Grandstage, new MicroKorg, new KingKorg, updated Korg Gadget, new NTS1, apparently a new NTS that hasn't been cleared for people to reveal yet, desktop versions of three recent synths (all truly excellent in sound capability and interface in their given fields btw), Chopin piano, anything else?

The most definite buy for me out of all the new Korgs is the KR-11.  It's basically a fancy metronome with playable pads for entering your own beats, with a bunch of build int drum patterns of various genres, user slots for drum patterns, and footswitch input.

10 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

Grandstage, new MicroKorg, new KingKorg, updated Korg Gadget, new NTS1, apparently a new NTS that hasn't been cleared for people to reveal yet, desktop versions of three recent synths (all truly excellent in sound capability and interface in their given fields btw), Chopin piano, anything else?

Err, this?

https://www.musicradar.com/news/korg-portable-record-player-vestax-handy-trax

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

Tonight's article: Korg KoolKorg Fridge coming soon in 2024, refrigerator and synthesizer/sequencer. Inspiration comes anytime, any place, even when you're pulling out ingredients for dinner! (Ever heard of fridge logic?) Use the KoolFridge to quickly and intuitively record your cool ideas!  (4 tracks, 192 polyphony)

• Like 1

I think a Bluetooth USB Midi polyphonic air fryer is inevitable at this point from Korg.

• Haha 3

This seems like a wise move. Aside from the all-too-rare release velocity on the Wavestate's keys, I always thought it "should have been" a module from the outset. If you're not going to equip it with a Keystage-quality keyboard, then its all about the engine.

I shake my head at the detractors, because its a bloody *Wavestation* in a form mere humans can grasp readily. I can't overstate how broad a thing that is, if you didn't already know. I love the four "lanes." They're right in line with the D-50s then-new four partials. That was a major leap ahead for rich patches.

I dumped Korg's software Wavestation because the basic intractability of the top-heavy GUI came along for the ride. I prefer Wavestate native because everything is so up-front, but if I was still on a hardware path, I'd be on the module like a blue-tick hound on a corned beef brisket. I look forward to seeing how well this line does. Pound for pound, its more broad than anything short of modulars. Making FM easy is a magical accomplishment. I was experimenting with three instances of Wavestate and it made me feel like a hairy demigod. ☄️

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

9 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Also.... "This model supports MIDI 2.0 property exchange'"

Oh, and... "Maximum Polyphony 80 voices"

That must be so that you can play the module via MIDI from the new 80-note Poetic Piano. Oh, its keyboard may have more, but samples don't. So it makes for a nice layering of the Pleyel piano with some random synth sound. Instead of a Hammond Chop, it's a Korg Chopin!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

1 hour ago, David Emm said:

I prefer Wavestate native because everything is so up-front

I've been messing with the demo this past week, that thing gives me goosebumps sometimes. I did an album 4 years ago where I used the Wavestation VST because I was using a lot of sustained chords and wanted there to be a sense of motion throughout. It got the job done, but it felt like I was using an antiquated instrument. wavestate native has blown me away.

1 hour ago, Mark Schmieder said:

That must be so that you can play the module via MIDI from the new 80-note Poetic Piano. Oh, its keyboard may have more, but samples don't. So it makes for a nice layering of the Pleyel piano with some random synth sound. Instead of a Hammond Chop, it's a Korg Chopin!

I don't know if you saw that Elmer was saying the Opsix Module had 64 voice polyphony, which is in the specs for the Opsix Mk2,, so I checked the Korg website and found it actually says 80.  I don't blame Elmer though as it's natural to assume all models of the same generation synth have the same polyphony count.

My speculation is Korg used a different Raspberry Pi board (maybe the V5 one?) in the module, compared to Opsix Mk2.

But yours is equally valid, until Dr. Metlay proves us both wrong or somethig.

Just saw a comment on another forum demanding an explanation of why 80 voices when the synth is monotimbral.  🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CHarrell said:

apparently a new NTS that hasn't been cleared for people to reveal yet

That would be the NTS-3 KAOSS pad DIY kit. $170 USD (MAP).

• Like 1

Those modules look interesting. Should've been modules from day one.

Why oh why didn't they go one step further with the Opsix and make it at least bi-timbral?  With 80 voices now on board it would be a monster with the ability to stack/split patches. If it can handle 80 voices, then doing that shouldn't require any further processing power. ( I know...because it was cheap and easy for them to just remove the keyboard, pitch and mod wheels and release it) They missed a glorious opportunity there to knock it out of the park.)

26 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

Me too.  

Surely there must be an update due for Korg Module.

On 1/20/2024 at 12:42 AM, Konnector said:

Why oh why didn't they go one step further with the Opsix and make it at least bi-timbral?  With 80 voices now on board it would be a monster with the ability to stack/split patches. If it can handle 80 voices, then doing that shouldn't require any further processing power. ( I know...because it was cheap and easy for them to just remove the keyboard, pitch and mod wheels and release it) They missed a glorious opportunity there to knock it out of the park.)

The MoDWave is bi-timbral, but I believe the Opsix and Wavestate are doing heavy enough number-crunching that its not practical for either. The former is wrestling a lot of FM activity (as well as other angles on sound generation) and the WS is processing up to four active layers at once. I get the feeling that with as much as they're doing, there's a practical limit. It could just be a marketing decision, but even a well-designed platform has operating restrictions. Besides, any two of the three can open a wormhole.

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis