Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The 2023 Year End Awards.

RABid

The year is winding down. What awards would you hand out to music manufacturers, music software producers, even artists?

A few I can think of ....

Best move by a music software company to improve digital purchase of their products - IK Multimedia. I have a lot of their products but a few years ago I quit using them and swore off ever purchasing form them again. The main reason, their policy of giving customers a short time to download products and charging them a fee to recover if they ever needed to download again. Well, this year they changed their process to come in line with the competition. I can now download my products again, and I am willing to buy their products again.

You would think that everyone would have a better business model for downloadable purchases but, IK was not the only company to do this. Thus my next nominee ...

Worst web site and product management for a distributer of music software and samples - Akai/Inmusic. I really like the Akai MPC line and own a LIVE II, One+, MPC X and MPC Studio (computer controller). I've purchased several sample packs and quite a few software instruments from them. I have to say this is the worst, most fragmented web site ever. Part of the problem is InMusic trying to roll every company into an umbrella account, yet trying to use legacy web sites for purchasing products. If I want to purchase a sample pack or an instrument to use on my MPC I have to go to Akai. If I want to see a history of purchases I have to go to InMusic. If I go to my account page on InMusic it does not list my sample pack purchases. If I look at my account page on Akai hoping to see a purchase history of sample packs it sends me to a page that tells me to enter my email address for a link to my account management. When I enter my email address I get an email from Akai Pro with a link to manage my orders. That link just sends me back to the page that ask me to enter my email address. Enter the address again, get another email. There is no information on the Akai Pro account page. When browsing the Akai area you visit four different web sites, Akai, AkaiPro, AkaiPro.OnFastspring.com, and InMusicBrands.com. What a mess. In addition, there are two other problems with their system. 1. You have to register your hardware before you can install any hardware based software instruments. That would be fine, but, if you sell a piece of hardware there is no way to take it off of your hardware list. 2. They only allow 3 installs of software instruments. This includes hardware such as the MPC Live, or the computer based MPC software. Like many other MPC users I have a Live II, One+ and MPC X in addition to using the software on a notebook and a desktop. That is 5 locations for something that comes with 3 installs. Their system does check. Right now I only install software instruments on hardware. I cannot use it on my computer.

Edit - Just bought the Mini D on the Akai/InMusic site so this is all fresh in my mind.

Okay, enough of my ranting. ... Next...

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Plus..

Including the GEX action in a Montage, well I think it's a bit different anyway!

Minus..

The addition of advertising in most product's download and activation managers and in the plugins you've already bought. As if buying the plugins that you're going to use is not enough anymore. And I'm not just talking about NI 😕

• Like 2

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

Most innovative recreation of a legendary hardware synth in software - Cherry Audio's Pro Soloist

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

+1 for Cherry Audio in general. Best company for relieving excessive GAS.

Phil Collins doing a farewell show... from a bloody chair, no less. Wow. Thank you! :cheers:

Crucial SSDs. Solid performers, giving me peace of mind for a fair price.

Stuff I hated: ah, who cares? :D

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

The next award is for the application most consistently prone to throw opaque licensing failures despite the problem being reported for many years. And the winner is...

Sibelius!

I've just been informed that this category will be withdrawn from next year, as Sibelius has consistently won so often that no competitor products have come close.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

Best turnaround in improving their User Interface:  Yamaha CK 61/88

(To be fair, this started with YC series)  

• Like 2

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Highly skilled Hammond organ player with impressive chops who gets ridiculed for his on-stage antics -- I think we all know who it is...

Old No7

• Haha 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Forum user who should really be getting paid for his advice: AnotherScott

Best Music Industry Professional who shares his wisdom at no cost: Dave Weiser

As for gear…

Most ridiculously named product: Korg Liano

Another year, another missed opportunity: the Swedish handmade and red squeezebox… the aNordian 😂

• Like 6

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

25 minutes ago, The Piano Man said:

most missed feature of yesteryear: again a tie between decent metal construction and an internal power supply

My Roland Fantom 7 has this, so does my Kronos, Montage M8x, Hammond XK5, and many other pro level keyboards. Those here - and there are many - screaming about weight get the plastic boards with wall warts. C'est la vie.

• Like 1

I award myself the last Terry's Chocolate Orange for being such a swell guy in general. 🤨

• Like 1

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis