Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reliability of Crumar Mojo original models vs newer

I have mentioned that I bought a mint used Mojo Classic (original dual manual) a few years ago, never gigged with it but it crapped out after less than a year. Evidently a minor issue..happy to report that yesterday I got it to working again and so far have been playing it with no issues (fingers crossed). 

Was wondering, how many of the original models are still in use? And if reliability issues (if any) of the older models have been corrected with the newer models (such as the Suitcase). I suppose I should also include the 61 with lower manual in the discussion. 

I am asking for the benefit of a friend, an accomplished professional musician who is enthusiastic about starting an organ trio but is on a budget. Crumar seems to be the most cost-effective way to get into a dual manual rig. He wants to buy mine, but I advised him that Crumar may not be the most road-worthy (especially an original Mojo with a checkered past) compared to the more expensive Ham-Suz, Viscount etc. Was I wrong? Several of you seem to have a good history with Crumar. 

Just gathering some anecdotal info, thanks to all who are willing to share their experiences!

I bought a Dual direct from Crumar back in November 2015, it had the new action keybed springs and I was able to order it with the black tuff coat type spray finish. It was badged as a "Limited Edition" by Crumar. I also purchased a one octave set of bass pedals, halfmoon and foot switch for sim control along with the editor which I hard wired into the computer board with a 90* angle usb cable. It has been set up in my house ever since and I still play it today and have had absolutely NO issues. Everything works/functions as it should and I also used the lower manual for piano voices via Korg module on an Ipad or Iphone. Very easy setup and has been great.

For gigs I use an sk-1 on occasion, but my go to rig is the Mojo61 which I purchased in October of 2019, liked it so much that I purchased the lower manaul for it too. Absolutely no issues with this rig either, and I also connect my Ipad/Iphone with Korg module running pianos IF I want to run organ up top and piano voices on the lower manual. My experience has been great, no regrets.

Joe

• Like 1

I purchased a gemini module in '16 and it was a source of constant problems (white noise (hiss) that was really loud, outputs cutting out during performances, the unit would constantly reboot during performances 6-8 times a gig).  In 2021 (after years of agonizing with the unit and being fed up) I sent it to a repair facility and was told that ALL the boards needed replacement.  The repair facility told me that the new boards had to be retrofitted to fit in the case, I ask why and they told me that the boards were apparently sourced from a different supplier and were sized slightly different than the old boards. Got the unit back two years ago and not one single problem since.  No hiss, outputs work, no rebooting, solid as a rock.  So i think the manufacturing source has apparently changed and I believe reliability issues are now behind them.  I would buy with confidence.

• Like 2

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

been considering the Gemini module for some time , but have read quite a few reports on problems  . i had an early gen. Mojo which turned out to be a crasher , couldn't use on stage ( didn't have any guts anyway in a loud stage mix ) . Crumar wouldn't offer any fix for it , and i coudn't sell it off in good faith , so i mothballed it for a few years . ended up gutting it out and converted it to an HX3 organ . one of my bucket list projects .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bill bosco said:

been considering the Gemini module for some time , but have read quite a few reports on problems  . i had an early gen. Mojo which turned out to be a crasher , couldn't use on stage ( didn't have any guts anyway in a loud stage mix ) . Crumar wouldn't offer any fix for it , and i coudn't sell it off in good faith , so i mothballed it for a few years . ended up gutting it out and converted it to an HX3 organ . one of my bucket list projects .

The new gemini module is using parts sourced from the new supplier; the sounds are top notch including the newest acoustic pianos which were the achilles heel from a sound perspective, but that is no longer true, the new pianos are very good. From a value perspective its a great purchase, there is probably 50 different instruments in the module many of which are physically modeled, including VB3-ii which is identical to the Mojo.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Had two Mojos since their inception. I only had one problem during the hundreds of gigs I have used them, and it was very easily and quickly repaired. 

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I have the XT upgrade, as well as a very early model (before they had any of the extra electric piano sounds) that I use as a backup/home practice board. I've never had any trouble with either of them, knock on wood. I've gigged the XT pretty heavily since 2019.

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

On 10/12/2023 at 8:12 AM, bill bosco said:

i forgot to add , it's got guts on stage , it doesn't crash , it's been reliable . also , Keyboard Partner's custumer support was rock solid , they helped out big time with the build

• Like 1

Just got a used older Mojo 61 with newest updates, so we'll find out. I need to do a deep dive of the owners manual for sure. I'm an organ rookie with drawbars etc. I HATE the wall wart plug, as I said in another thread, I want to swap that out. But man do I love the overdrive on it. My neighbors, and those a mile away, think Jon Lord lives here now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson