Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Modal Electronics insolvent

Rumours of their closure recently, but now confirmed.

https://synthanatomy.com/2023/09/british-synth-company-modal-electronics-is-insolvent.html

Shame, as they made some great hardware. I nearly bought one recently. Still good gear, but lack of support might be a worry despite them promising to continue making products.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Read about this earlier today.  The company had cool products. 

In a sea of competition, I'm not surprised that it may have been harder for Modal to remain afloat. 

I guess that means the Carbon may not come to fruition in 2024.  It's not listed on their website. 

Unobtainium is my idea of a  Modal Polonium (61-key synth, sampler, 3 OSCs, 2 filters, 50 onboard sounds, 50 memory locations, FX, 4 GB memory, DX7 or Ensoniq key action, USB, MIDI Din, modulation wheels instead of that flimsy joystick.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Apparently restructuring and still planning new products but we shall have to wait and see. Their top end boards were pretty impressive.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I hope they survive. 
I really love my Cobalt 8, as well as the Modal app. 
If anything, I think people are apprehensive because the Modal synths are so capable of many things…and they down use the same glitzy, high tech marketing as do the bigger companies.

The sound speaks for itself.

Tom 

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

On 9/20/2023 at 4:45 PM, brenner13 said:

Apparently many others must have made similar choices away from Modal stuff. I kind of feel guilty for some reason.

Your guilt would disappear after playing it.  Not a a bad synth. Sounds OK.  Kinda reminds me of vanilla ice cream.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I'm mostly out of the hardware market due to software.  At home it's all I use, other than controller(s).  I don't see that ever changing.  Live I use keyboards but they tend to be able to do more things (and I'm set moving forward, I would never gig with more than two.)

If not for that, I'd be more interested in a varied lot of smaller synths (especially if I was doing the early 90s again with a room full of gear responding to sequences via midi...)  I suspect software is a huge challenge for all of these hardware makers.

• 7 months later...

They are back in operation after getting some investment from a Hong Kong company that actually produces all Modal hardware.

Modal Electronics is back under new ownership structure of Alltronics Holding Ltd

https://synthanatomy.com/2024/05/modal-electronics-is-back.html

Modal Electronics completes strategic restructuring and commits to sustainable transformation of the brand and the product line  

https://www.modalelectronics.com/modal-electronics-completes-strategic-restructuring-and-commits-to-sustainable-transformation-of-the-brand-and-the-product-line/

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DmitryKo said:

They are back in operation after getting some investment from a Hong Kong company that actually produces all Modal hardware.

Modal Electronics is back under new ownership structure of Alltronics Holding Ltd

https://synthanatomy.com/2024/05/modal-electronics-is-back.html

Modal Electronics completes strategic restructuring and commits to sustainable transformation of the brand and the product line  

https://www.modalelectronics.com/modal-electronics-completes-strategic-restructuring-and-commits-to-sustainable-transformation-of-the-brand-and-the-product-line/

"Dang, they owe use loads of cash and the warehouse is full of their products, and now they went bust - Wtf are we going to do?"

:D

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Modal Electronics makes very cool synths.  Hopefully, new ownership will be able to keep them afloat. 

If Modal Electronics is reading/listening, the next product should b a 61-key, sampler/synthesizer.😉😎

PD

I love my Argon8m, loads of great sounding versatile synthesis for the money!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

Modal Electronics makes very cool synths.  Hopefully, new ownership will be able to keep them afloat. 

If Modal Electronics is reading/listening, the next product should b a 61-key, sampler/synthesizer.😉😎

I would love to see their take on a full on modern Wavestation, with real analog filters! And yes, KUTGW with those Fatar beds!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

15 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

And yes, KUTGW with those Fatar beds!

Absolutely keep the Fatar key action.  I would use a Modal Electronics synth as a MIDI controller for the key action alone.😎

• Like 2

PD

On 5/3/2024 at 9:12 PM, ProfD said:

Absolutely keep the Fatar key action.  I would use a Modal Electronics synth as a MIDI controller for the key action alone.😎

That’s of course the first place they will go to cut costs. With predictable and negative outcomes. 

Bankruptcy and restructuring is the same song every time.