Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Gimme Some Lovin" -- Lachy Doley Hammond SK2 Solo (with Leslie)

This guy sacrificed a promising career in plumbing to play piano with the likes of Jimmy Witherspoon and Nat Adderley as well as Australia's finest.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

I totally missed this thread the first time around. I've been low-key following LD for years, mostly checking out what he posts on Facebook. I haven't seen a live show, but I'd love to see him live. I'm fascinated by the Eddy Castlebar clav he uses, which was a very rare instrument and I can only remember one other known artist using one. I'm fascinated with the big Hammond C3 he typically uses with a Leslie and it seems he will occasionally use some clones, depending on the gig. He is extremely talented and entertaining. I view him as a rare breed of keyboard player - fronting a band with a big vintage rig, rock organ and whammy clav. I think he kicks ass and never even noticed or cared about such things as "that particular overdrive" or "not the best singer" - never even entered my mind. He's a rock star to me!

• Like 5

Just checking this out. I'm impressed by this clip. Others have said they don't find much musical here, but building a long multi minute solo over that ostinato and keeping the audience with you and not losing the plot is a musical feat IMO.

This doesn't mean I love everything about LD or that I care if people don't like this. I could see why you wouldn't like it.

Carry on.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

On 9/18/2023 at 9:43 AM, jerrythek said:

I've always come from a place that is close to what Jim A expresses, but I do agree with Steve N that discussions of musicianship/taste are fine. It's how we express ourselves/the language we use that is the tipping point for me.

I think discussion of what we like and don't like about various things is vital. Is has been a huge resource for me learning more about music and musicianship, especially when I was young and just getting into things.

I remember loving Oscar Peterson when I first got into jazz. Then being bewildered when I would read comments from people like Miles and Monk about what they didn't like about his playing. That spurred me on to learn a few other dimensions and aspects of good jazz music that I hadn't even considered. An important part of my musical education was sitting in the college library reading blindfold tests in back issues of Downbeat and hearing what players had to say about other players. And now, I get it about Oscar's playing and I can see what people don't like about it. And I of course still love Oscar for what he is.

When someone like Steve Nathan talks about not liking LDs playing, there is much to learn by listening and ponder over what he means. It also doesn't have to mean I can't enjoy the LD myself. If I dig it, I dig it, and that's valid.

But the sharing of opinions/tastes about this stuff is very useful, and I don't think it needs to be mean spirited. We all learn from it.

• Like 2

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

bloody brilliant performance.

it's not a studio recording. His job is to entertain a live audience which he always does admirably.

i wish I could play, sing and perform half that good,  heck i'd settle for a quarter.

this forum never fails to disappoint. so many apparently expert pro-level players who are quick to criticise others but never post their own performances.

• Like 3
hang out with me at woody piano shack

16 minutes ago, konaboy said:

bloody brilliant performance.

it's not a studio recording. His job is to entertain a live audience which he always does admirably.

i wish I could play, sing and perform half that good,  heck i'd settle for a quarter.

this forum never fails to disappoint. so many apparently expert pro-level players who are quick to criticise others but never post their own performances.

Well said...

See my newest posting soliciting "GSL" performances from others on this forum.  Something tells me we'd have maybe a few takers, but not all who had commented..........

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

1 hour ago, Bobadohshe said:

I think discussion of what we like and don't like about various things is vital. Is has been a huge resource for me learning more about music and musicianship, especially when I was young and just getting into things.

I remember loving Oscar Peterson when I first got into jazz. Then being bewildered when I would read comments from people like Miles and Monk about what they didn't like about his playing. That spurred me on to learn a few other dimensions and aspects of good jazz music that I hadn't even considered. An important part of my musical education was sitting in the college library reading blindfold tests in back issues of Downbeat and hearing what players had to say about other players. And now, I get it about Oscar's playing and I can see what people don't like about it. And I of course still love Oscar for what he is.

When someone like Steve Nathan talks about not liking LDs playing, there is much to learn by listening and ponder over what he means. It also doesn't have to mean I can't enjoy the LD myself. If I dig it, I dig it, and that's valid.

But the sharing of opinions/tastes about this stuff is very useful, and I don't think it needs to be mean spirited. We all learn from it.

I'm with you... it's all in the delivery of the discussion for me. I have pretty wide tastes in players and genres, but of course there are people in each genre that I don't like. Better to say that they don't align with my musical taste/values/whatever. And I can explain why. But I would never slag them off, or flippantly dismiss their music.

If someone says they don't dig a performance without an attack or flippant dismissal of the artist, and then explains why they don't I'm all in for hearing what they have to say, and point out. A good learning, or at least sharing moment. And we don't have to agree, as you said. Then it's all good. After all, there's only so much gear, and sports, and drink etc. that we can talk about!