Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

Geoff Grace

21 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Put him on a different team and he might be - notice I am saying MIGHT - be a really solid QB.

Yep. QB Justin Fields would thrive if he was playing with a team like the 49ers. HC/OC Kyle Shanahan has a system that works.

Conversely, send QB Brock Purdy to da Bears coaching staff and they would ruin his entire football career.

Beyond talent, it helps for some players to be in the right situation in order to fully succeed.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 10/8/2023 at 3:13 PM, ProfD said:

I wonder when the Bills plan on committing to their running game. That team could have benefitted from picking up RB Ezekiel Elliott.😎

You're kidding on Elliot I assume...but yeah Cook isn't doing much; meanwhile, Moss is tearing it up for the Colts. Good trade Buffalo! 

How about those Steelers? I am quite surprised they beat the Ravens as Jackson looked like crap in the second half. 

Meanwhile I wonder if NE won't contend for the #1 pick. They are pathetic, not that I'm surprised with the worst WR corps in the league.

Caleb Williams said he only wants to play for Vikings, Raiders, Cowboys, Niners or Giants.

But would he really stay at USC in 2024 if he had the chance to play for Hoodie and the Patriots?

Maybe his statement was his way of saying he won't declare for the draft if Arizona locks up the #1 pick.

Or maybe he's just a spoiled brat douche. Shades of Elway and Eli. News flash dude, only the Vikes or Raiders have a hope of getting that #1 pick and that even seems unlikely (OK the Giants might but they have too much locked up in Jones and have so many other needs...Jones isn't amazing but he isn't the problem). 

If he's really going to earn more $$$ as a USC super senior from NIL, than as a rookie in the NFL, I see nothing wrong with him deciding to stay at USC.   He has not yet taken the extreme of threatening to sit out an entire NFL season like Elway and Manning did.

His greatest risk though is not earning the ire of football fans who still hate what Elway and Eli Manning did.  I was pretty bitter myself when Eli refused to play for the Chargers, lol!  No, the greater risk is the chance that an even worse franchise than Arizona might get dibs on him in 2025.

I tried looking up Trevor Lawrence's 2023 pay but couldn't find a trustworthy source to back up his supposed $900K payout for 2023.  The website that said he's earning 900K also said he got paid $600K as a rookie in 2021.

His total pay over the course of 4 years is easier to find.

EDIT: that site probably confused Trevor's base salary with his total pay for 2023.   CJ Stroud for example reportedly has an NFL rookie base salary of $750K which looks like pay cut from his 2022 NIL earnings/valuation,  but he also has a signing bonus which brings his 2023 cap hit to over $6 million.

10 hours ago, ProfD said:

Yep. QB Justin Fields would thrive if he was playing with a team like the 49ers. HC/OC Kyle Shanahan has a system that works.

Conversely, send QB Brock Purdy to da Bears coaching staff and they would ruin his entire football career.

Beyond talent, it helps for some players to be in the right situation in order to fully succeed.😎

Exactly. It seems likely that in the right situation, he would thrive. He has that much talent. And if someone is planning around that talent, then yeah, that's most likely going to work really well. He would get the proper coaching and plans to go through his reads, as Fields can be a little slow in his progressions in some schemes. Yes, I know he went through his reads very quickly and made great anticipatory throws, but as a whole, I feel like he's often been slow and not always had the greatest pocket awareness on top of that.

11 hours ago, weegeebored said:

Overreact much? I'm not wrong.  I don't know you from Adam; respect isn't automatic for me.  I commented about one post which gave me the impression that you were defending Fields. I'm not going to track down everything you have written about him. It's not that important to me.  So in the words of a former NFC North QB...chillax.

Get a clue before you start, especially when I have already said that I'm not an apologist for him and you're basing it on one post...by your own admission. :D 

9 hours ago, bill5 said:

You're kidding on Elliot I assume...but yeah Cook isn't doing much...

How about those Steelers?

Not kidding. I think Zeke still has something in the tank. He just needs to play on the right team.

The Steelers helped QB Kenny Pickett big time on Sunday by using RBs Jaylen Warren and Najee Harris.

9 hours ago, bill5 said:

Or maybe he's just a spoiled brat douche. 

I don't think so.

QB Caleb Williams and players of his generation have a bit more leverage in where they land in the NFL than players of the past. 

Raiders DE Maxx Crosby, a 4th round draft pick is crushing it in the NFL. Maxx is a one man wrecking crew. Packers couldn't do anything to stop him last night. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 10/9/2023 at 9:51 PM, KenElevenShadows said:

Get a clue before you start, especially when I have already said that I'm not an apologist for him and you're basing it on one post...by your own admission. :D 

First you tell me that I'm wrong, and now you tell me to get a clue.  Learn to communicate clearly and maybe people won't need to research every one of your posts just to make a reply. 

14 hours ago, ProfD said:

Not kidding. I think Zeke still has something in the tank.

Yeah. PIzza. :)  He's done

The Steelers helped QB Kenny Pickett big time on Sunday by using RBs Jaylen Warren and Najee Harris.

Warren looked great. If they're smart, they'll mix it up between the two.

I don't think so.

QB Caleb Williams and players of his generation have a bit more leverage in where they land in the NFL than players of the past. 

The very distant past maybe, not more recently, although maybe there are some newer rules I'm not aware of. 

He's still being a spoiled brat douche. A team drafts you, you play for the team. 

17 hours ago, weegeebored said:

First you tell me that I'm wrong, and now you tell me to get a clue.  Learn to communicate clearly and maybe people won't need to research every one of your posts just to make a reply. 

Gosh. You're absolutely right.

44 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

Van Jefferson traded to ATL?  🤔

The Vikings trade WR Van Jefferson after WR Justin Jefferson gets injured.  Makes zero sense. 

The Vikes WR corps is already thin. They let their best RB go in free agency. 

QB Kirk Cousins will have to be captain of the ship Miracle if Minny plans to win any more games not to mention the division.  Good luck against the Lions.😎

PD

50 minutes ago, ProfD said:

The Vikings trade WR Van Jefferson after WR Justin Jefferson gets injured.  Makes zero sense. 

The Vikes WR corps is already thin. They let their best RB go in free agency. 

QB Kirk Cousins will have to be captain of the ship Miracle if Minny plans to win any more games not to mention the division.  Good luck against the Lions.😎

Van Jefferson was traded from the Rams (not the Vikings) to the Falcons.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Roland Integra-7; Wurlitzer 200A

Just now, wineandkeyz said:

Van Jefferson was traded from the Rams (not the Vikings) to the Falcons.

Thanks.  You're right.😁

Now, I wonder if the emergence of WR Puca Nacua made WR Van Jefferson expendable. 😎

• Like 2

PD

Hey, could someone here post when the Pats get rid of Mac Jones? I can't watch anymore. I only saw less than 5 mins of last Sunday's game. Losing isn't the issue - Cam Newton's games were fun to watch, even tho I knew he'd fumble on the key drive. But the past couple years have been tough to watch, and here's an example of why:

In one of his games relatively early in his career as quarterback for the Patriots, I saw Mac Jones escape from the pocket, run the ball, and take a last second slide,  short of the 1st down. The defender let up, even though he maybe could've gotten away with hitting Jones - it was a late slide. Then, to "reward" the guy for letting up, Jones spiked him in the nuts. Then he smirked his way off the field (next play was a punt), proud of his cheap shot. Hoodie saw it too, and benched him for the next series.

Since then, until last Sunday, I watched every game... I know "spoiled brat" is a common phrase to toss around now, but Jones is the governor of Bratsachusetts, and he has a "kicking grown men in the nuts and then laughing that they were gullible enough to trust him" problem. You can see that his teammates tolerate but don't mimic his attitude. That's not the attitude you want your quarterback to inspire from his teammates. As a fan, it really sucks to watch, and I don't want to support it, including following team news.

I'll probably hear about the switch, when it happens, from people around me IRL... but I'll also follow this thread. I'd like to see how the team responds to a different quarterback who had a full week of practice as the No1 QB. To me, the goal this year is to set the team up for the future - try out different QBs, try to stockpile assets. There has to be SOME team that hasn't played against Jones yet, and who would trade something for his services.

A SF 49ers vs Miami Dolphins Super Bowl match-up would be interesting just because of the coaching storyline.

IMO, the 49ers are clearly front-runners of the NFC. The Eagles could challenge them.

OTOH, the KC Chiefs are defending SB champions but they seem vulnerable and even moreso with injuries.

It will be interesting to see if the Lions can win the NFC North and how far they can go into the playoffs. 

The funniest thing is the Pats won't even be in the playoff conversation. They aren't any  better than the Jets.🤣😎

PD

2 hours ago, bill5 said:

It's still early and anything can happen (esp with injuries), but at this point I will be shocked if the SB isn't some combo of MIA, KC, SF, and PHI. 

That seems likely.

KC is struggling a bit with their inexperienced receivers, but I think we are all used to them figuring it out and are conditioned not to count them out.