Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

off off topic: phone connectivity ....

Yesterday i turned off my Verizon 4G service and Wifi service locally on my phone.  I subsequently received two text messages.  With wifi and 4G off how is it possible that the text messages came through?  what platform would still be active to accept text messages?  airplane mode was NOT engaged ...

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

Yesterday i turned off my Verizon 4G service and Wifi service.  I received two text messages.  With wifi and 4G off how is it possible that the text messages came through?  what platform would still be active to accept text messages?  airplane mode was NOT engaged ...

You don't need 4G or wi-fi to send or receive text messages :) 

2 hours ago, timwat said:

I think turning off mobile data still allows you to receive phone calls and text messages.

This. When you turned off your

2 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

4G service

You didn't turn off the "base" GSM functionality: phone calls and SMS. 

Was it an iphone? Bet the bubbles were green...

Cheers, Mike.

3 hours ago, timwat said:

I think turning off mobile data still allows you to receive phone calls and text messages.

Thanks Tim, I think you nailed it. I tried it again today and my wife called and texted my phone, they both were received.  When I engaged Airplane Mode, I got neither. I wasn't aware that both texting and phone calls continued to come through with both those modes disengaged.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Some older phones have 2 antennas. One for data and one for voice and text. But many carriers are eliminating the voice side and doing it all on the data network using voip (voice over internet protocol). My 1 year old Samsung note 10 only has voip and not the voice antenna. 

But also I saw a video that I didn't watch but the title suggested a navy seal could spy on you with your phone with the battery removed.

FunMachine.