Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting audio out of an iPad Pro

I wonder if anyone has thoughts on the best way to run Pianoteq using a 5-pin MIDI controller (in this case, Kawai ES110) and an iPad Pro?  I have a Korg PlugKey but unfortunately that uses lightning whereas the iPad Pro uses USB-C.

It seems like the options include:

1) Using some kind of female-lightning to USB C male adaptor between the PlugKey and the iPad Pro (really not sure if this would work)

2) Using a DIN MIDI-USB adaptor to connect the Kawai and iPad to a USB-C hub like this one, and hoping that the hub has decent audio output from its headphone out

3) Getting a older iPad /iPhone with lightning to run Pianoteq, and using the PlugKey, which is a terrific product. 

4) Using another audio interface like Zoom U24 to take audio out of the iPad Pro, using an Apple Camera Kit connector?  I guess this would take care of the audio, while the Kawai could send Bluetooth MIDI to the iPad?

5) Any other ideas?

Sorry for the basic question, but the universe of possible hubs and adaptors out there is a little overwhelming, not to mention the variability in quality and performance with third party adapters.  Wondering if anyone has found a solution for something similar.

Thank you in advance!

"Have a good time ... all the time. That's my philosophy, Marty."

Apologies if not applicable, but I can’t easily find info on the Kawai ES110…. but if it has USB out, what I do is do both the MIDI in and sound out via USB by simply connecting the USB out of my keyboard to the USB connector on the iPad Pro.  Pianoteq works great for me that way.  Just an idea.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).

13 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

i use this (20 bucks) :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BTKPGVW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

spacer.png

plus a generic version of this:

517pfLo793L._AC_SL1080_.jpg

I have no need for this adapter but must say there is alot of connectivity built into that for $20.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

3 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

I have no need for this adapter but must say there is alot of connectivity built into that for $20.

i've used it with the ipad, my samsung phone, and amazon fire tablet. been a good little problem solver so far.

I have the Apple Magic Keyboard. The BIG bonus of using this is the ability to plug the keyboard into the charger and power the iPad while leaving the single USB-C port open.  Been looking at sound interfaces and found a few with iPad drivers. Strongly considering the UA Volt 2 as my audio interface. It has MIDI in and out which would allow me to connect a keyboard through the Volt. With that setup I will not need a hub.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I don't know what generation your iPad is but I did a 3 plus hour rehearsal today and still had over 80% left on my battery. I could have played a 3 set gig and another 3 sets the next day and still had maybe 20% left on the meter. Gen9 ipad btw.

I don't need to think about using a charger during a show. And if you use a charger ever time you use your iPad and the battery never gets to cycle it eventually won't hold a charge.

My suggestion , power all keyboards and peripherals from a powered hub and let the iPad work through its normal battery cycle.

Unless your battery only gives enough time to sweat whether or not you got enough battery time to get through your event. Then yeah, a powered dock would work but I believe to the detriment of your battery.

What about getting audio out of the ipad you ask. Get an $8 thumb sized sebrent usb sound adapter and stick it into the powered hub.

FunMachine.

On 7/16/2023 at 7:30 PM, D. Gauss said:

i use this (20 bucks) :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BTKPGVW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

spacer.png

plus a generic version of this:

517pfLo793L._AC_SL1080_.jpg

That's very cool. I was searching their Amazon store for a Lightning version, but I guess they don't make one.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

On 7/17/2023 at 11:57 AM, D. Gauss said:

i've used it with the ipad, my samsung phone, and amazon fire tablet. been a good little problem solver so far.

Oh, if you're successfully using it for Android, also, then I'm going to pick one up for my Pixel phone and Samsung tablet. Thanks!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

There's a lot of conversation about this kind of thing (including different kinds of hubs) at https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/185410-ipad-as-a-serious-musical-instrument/#comments

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have a Focusrite USB Audio interface. I can connect it directly to the iPad Pro through USB-C, and get MIDI signal in and audio signal out that way. Basically any USB audio device that does not require very custom drivers will work.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

34 minutes ago, marczellm said:

I have a Focusrite USB Audio interface. I can connect it directly to the iPad Pro through USB-C, and get MIDI signal in and audio signal out that way. Basically any USB audio device that does not require very custom drivers will work.

There's a big difference.  The vast majority of USB hubs and USB audio interfaces either draw power from the USB host or have a data-only connection and neither draw nor supply power.  So they don't solve the problem of how you keep the iPad charged and also have it connected to a MIDI keyboard at the same time.  You'd have to use something like the Magic Keyboard that can supply power without using the USB port, or just remember to disconnect the audio interface and plug in a charger every so often.

The hub I listed (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SVZFFPP) has a USB-C power input and will pass that power through to the iPad to keep it charged in addition to allowing you to connect multiple USB devices to the iPad like a MIDI keyboard or audio interface (and it will power those as well).  Similarly with the docking station that D. Gauss mentioned earlier.

(when I mention "iPad" above it also applies to other tablets and smartphones with USB-C ports.  Even laptops like a MacBook Air can be kept charged and connected to multiple USB devices with just a single connection this way).

Just to add some clarification to my previous message, note that there are many powered USB hubs that will supply power to the devices you plug into them, but they will not supply power back to the host (e.g. the iPad, Android Phone, MacBook Air, etc.).

Regular powered USB hubs also tend to come with big ugly AC adapters, whereas hubs like the one I listed and docking stations like the one D. Gauss listed have a USB-C power input so you can just use the normal charger that you would use otherwise or you could use one of the cool third-party chargers from Anker, etc. that can supply tons of power in a tiny form factor (e.g. 30 watts from a 1" cube or 65 watts from a 1.5" cube).  You can also choose your own USB-C cable in whatever length and color you like.

• Like 1

No, Apple has very good power management circuitry.  It's not like the old days when a battery was charging whenever it was plugged in.  Now it uses a lot of logic and sensors to decide when and how much to charge.  I have iPads that have been continuously plugged in for several years without any issue. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

How do y'all get digital audio out of your Ipad and into a windows PC over USB?  Seems to be impossible, no? To be clear, one cable between the two just like connecting to a Yamaha keyboard.  

I just bought an IPad G9 which has a Lightning port.  I have a Korg Plugkey and/or an I-Rig Pro Duo to interface to the IPad.  The negative of the I-rig Pro Duo is it does not charge the IPad, so I had to buy some Camera kit adapter to get power to the IPad.  I hate extra dongles and adapter cables but it works.  The Plugkey does everything in one. 

The Plugkey is a very nice and practical piece of gear in a very small package and I put it to very good use, but I've understood it is not working any more with USB-C when using a lightning to USB-C adapter.

I'm still using it with a last generation iPhone SE and an iPad 7 with Korg Module and for the time being I'm good with this setup, but I'm wandering what to do when I will have to update my iPhone and my iPad to newer versions without lightning ports.

I find it a pity that I will have to trash the Plugkey 😒 There's no USB-C based equivalent solution to my knowledge...

12 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

How do y'all get digital audio out of your Ipad and into a windows PC over USB?  Seems to be impossible, no? To be clear, one cable between the two just like connecting to a Yamaha keyboard.  

anybody?  seems the app "studiomux" can kinda sorta could do it, but it looks to be very buggy.  it's 2024, this should be easy-peasy.

9 hours ago, jejefunkyman said:

I'm wandering what to do when I will have to update my iPhone and my iPad to newer versions without lightning ports

You can still buy iPad 9th generation, and they’re sometimes on sale. Won’t be for long, though. 

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

• 1 month later...