Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Seen any good concerts lately?

On 8/24/2023 at 2:35 PM, Paul Vnuk Jr. said:

Going to see Tu-Ner tonight at the legendary Shank Hall. Tu-Ner is Markus Reuter f Stick Men and Centrizoon and Trey Gun and Pat Mastelato of King Crimson among other things. 

Jealous! I got the Tu-Ner album and love it, I bet it'll be a great show.

I'm still avoiding large shows because of COVID, but I may break out to see Steve Hackett on his Foxtrot at 50 tour, at a lovely historic theater nearby.

I also just got a ticket to catch a livestream of Shakti (John McLaughlin, Zakir Hussain, etc) with John Scofield(!) on Thursday, looking forward to that.

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

On 8/28/2023 at 6:53 PM, NewImprov said:

Jealous! I got the Tu-Ner album and love it, I bet it'll be a great show.

I'm still avoiding large shows because of COVID, but I may break out to see Steve Hackett on his Foxtrot at 50 tour, at a lovely historic theater nearby.

I also just got a ticket to catch a livestream of Shakti (John McLaughlin, Zakir Hussain, etc) with John Scofield(!) on Thursday, looking forward to that.

Tu-Ner was amazing, especially the improvs. Blessed to call these guys friends.  I hope they keep this project going. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Editor - RECORDING Magazine

Saw Postmodern Jukebox night before last, first time I've seen them and was amazed at quality of whole band - but the singers in particular were stunning. Effie Passero I'd never heard of before, but I'm one hello of a fan now. Watch this video to the end:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

saw Peter Gabrial last week with Manu Katche and Tony Levin as the rhythm section and a selection of other very acomplished musicians including David Rhodes on guitar.

Words will not do justice. Red Rain did bring me to tears.

:allhail:

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 2
:nopity:

3 hours ago, Doerfler said:

saw Peter Gabrial last week with Manu Katche and Tony Levin as the rhythm section and a selection of other very acomplished musicians including David Rhodes on guitar.

Words will not do justice. Red Rain did bring me to tears.

:allhail:

Didn't it? Just breathtaking. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

On 8/31/2023 at 6:41 AM, Dr Nursers said:

Saw Postmodern Jukebox night before last, first time I've seen them and was amazed at quality of whole band - but the singers in particular were stunning. Effie Passero I'd never heard of before, but I'm one hello of a fan now. Watch this video to the end:

Holy crap that's fantastic.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

19 minutes ago, analogika said:

Holy crap that's fantastic.

Absolutely - her voice is nothing short of stunning. I'd expected high calibre singers but Effie was on another plane :thu:

I had a killer concert weekend.  Saw Hiromi with Stanley Clarke on Saturday night (probably the single most masterful performance on an upright bass I’ve ever seen), then Snarky Puppy (with Cory Henry showing up for the encore) on Sunday evening.  😎

Can’t remember the last time I saw so much good music in such a short period of time. 🥰🥳

dB

• Like 1
  • Love 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

My wife and I saw the Average White Band on 9/16 at The Suffolk Theater. As many likely know, fellow forum member @Reezekeys (aka Rob Aries) plays keys (and bass on a few songs) in the band. The band was awesome and Rob played great! It was wonderful to finally meet Rob in person after the show.

EB89913F-8339-4978-96E2-C48E90D07BF2.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, RABid said:

Last good band I saw was Oak Ridge Boys with an old friend and ex bandmate as music director and playing lead guitar. I look over this thread and think about how little new music we absorb. I need to get out and see some teenagers play.

I mostly go to local music now. The kids are alright!!!!

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I’ll add my voice to those who saw Peter Gabriel. Magnificent. Sublime. Artistic. I could go on and on. PG was in fine voice, the sets/lights/projection were just beautiful. Of course the band was great, with special recognition to the woman who played cello and was Peter’s vocal “foil”. 

Saw brother Jim Alfredson last Tuesday at the same theatre Al saw AWB. Jim was his usual tasty self, and the band is good, if a little guitar-loud (to be expected?). Second time I’ve seen him with Larry McCray and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

• Like 4

I don't get to a lot of big name concerts partly due to a lot of the bands I like not touring in my region much and ticket prices. I did enjoy catching one of my favorite modern rock/metal bands, Halocene, live on tour a few weeks ago. Saw they were coming to town a few months ago and didn't think I'd actually ever see them live, so I just had to. ;) Sweet performance - their music blends elements of metal and electronic/synths with a strong lead singer.

Halocene-Fargo-Band-IMG-2517.png

Had to rep MPN at the show of course ;).

Halocene-Fargo-Band-Group-Photo-1.png

There were a few other bands in the lineup too including Hooked Like Helen, who had a great keys player with a Yamaha slab of some type.

Smaller-Hooked-Like-Helen-9-24-2023-The-

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Sofar Sounds is an organization that aims to put on concerts at intimate venues like someone's house.  I typically don't like that you do not learn who the performing artists are until you buy a ticket.   However, the Sofar shows in my area take place at a cider bar close to where I live.  It's a lower risk investment for me because if I don't like what I'm hearing, I can be home in a few minutes.

This was the best Sofar show I've been to yet.  All 3 acts were solid.  The 2nd act was selling a self-produced  photo magazine printed on surprisingly high quality paper.  My favorite was the 1st act, Kimaya Diggs