Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Searching for funk / soul music played with Synth Bass

I play synth bass in my band. I was JUST about to post asking for some additional tips. Some good advice here. I’m mainly just trying to do bass guitar duty, not really aiming for a particularly synthy tone. Here’s what I’ve found:

A) Fully Analog is an absolute must. The “click” attack generated the old hardware is a huge bonus to the sound that can’t be replicated on digital gear.

B) 4-pole filter is the only way to fly. You want some good harmonics at the head but they need to GTFO after the attack.

C) to this day, nothing beats a Mini or clone. I’m on a PolyD and it does a fantastic job. Grandma or Matriarch would probably be fine too.

BUT, I want to ask for some tips on amp combo and settings. We had an actual bass player sit in with us, and one of my mates commented that she wished my bass sound was a little more punchy like a real bass. I’ve got my synth sound dialed in as best as an analog can, but I think my head settings could be better. I use a pretty tame amp in rehearsal but am thinking of getting a Fender Rumble Studio which can model valve amps and have some additional growl.

Distortion? EQ? What’s your take?

• Like 1

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

On 6/24/2023 at 9:40 AM, EricBarker said:

...she wished my bass sound was a little more punchy like a real bass. I’ve got my synth sound dialed in as best as an analog can, but I think my head settings could be better. I use a pretty tame amp in rehearsal but am thinking of getting a Fender Rumble Studio which can model valve amps and have some additional growl.

Distortion? EQ? What’s your take?

A fast FET type compressor might be all you need to further accentuate the attack. I sometimes add a "clicky" synth attack layer on top for the same effect.

Valve amps can add upper harmonics to your tone and make it fatter. You can also try some saturation pedals for the same purpose.

Have fun!

1 hour ago, MAJUSCULE said:

I mean, completely different approach, but I've played blues trio gigs splitting my NS3C with the Fender Jazz sample into a real bass amp and people have been more than impressed.

I do a thing we’re I MIDI-OUT the PolyD into my NS3C, and trigger a low Clavinet to add more harmonics. It does come out a different audio channel, but it still works.

We play Tool “Reflection” and this works very well for that. I’m often triggering some overdriven B3 or guitar samples with this method, and it works well. But I’d love to sharpen the bass sound even when not doing so.

• Love 1

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

On 6/24/2023 at 4:29 AM, AROIOS said:

Jane Child - Don't Wanna Fall In Love

I had forgotten all about Jane Child!

I sequenced the bass on Mercedes Boy back then, and played the clav and keyboard parts.

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

1 hour ago, AROIOS said:

A fast FET type compressor might be all you need to further accentuate the attack.

👍

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

On 6/22/2023 at 8:50 PM, Docbop said:

Everytime I see the title of this thread I crackup...

Same here for different reasons.🤣

Funny how folks discover this old music. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 6/24/2023 at 9:40 AM, EricBarker said:

IA) Fully Analog is an absolute must. The “click” attack generated the old hardware is a huge bonus to the sound that can’t be replicated on digital gear.

B) 4-pole filter is the only way to fly. You want some good harmonics at the head but they need to GTFO after the attack.

C) to this day, nothing beats a Mini or clone. I’m on a PolyD and it does a fantastic job. Grandma or Matriarch would probably be fine too.

I almost hate to admit this, but I have a '74 MiniMoog, and a Behringer Model D, and I swear the Behringer has more "oomph" in the low end than the Mini. In the mid/hi ranges, the real Mini has more complexity and seetness to the tone, but as a synth bass, the Behringer beats it out every time.

• Like 2

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

10 hours ago, harmonizer said:

I have always loved the two bass parts on this Stevie Wonder's "Gotta Have You", especially the simpler part that starts the song and goes way low. It just seems to create an irresistible urge to move.

Speaking of Stevie's more "modern" sound, this is one of my favorite from both Stevie's and MJ's songbooks. Their obvious singing talents aside, the arrangement and production of this song is absolutely top notch and right up there with Scritti Polliti's finest synth-driven tunes.

On 6/27/2023 at 3:40 PM, NewImprov said:

I almost hate to admit this, but I have a '74 MiniMoog, and a Behringer Model D, and I swear the Behringer has more "oomph" in the low end than the Mini. In the mid/hi ranges, the real Mini has more complexity and seetness to the tone, but as a synth bass, the Behringer beats it out every time.

supposedly the Behringer ModelD beats out the PolyD in power though. Not really a fault but a purposeful design decision. With the extra OSC and polyphonic mode, they had to be careful not overload the circuitry when everything is going, so they pulled it back a few dB, and it slightly effects the tone.

Honestly, small price to pay for an all-in-one unit with a pretty good keybed. I hate modular shit, since I gig so much and don’t want to hook up smaller gadgets.

it’s become so important to my rig, I’ve considered getting a second just to be safe. I’ve considered getting a Grandmother to change things up, but I suspect the PolyD is going to be a bet for my needs.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Of course... the S.O.S. Band

• Love 2

NS4 73HA, Yamaha CK61, Korg C1 Air, Roland TD1-DMK, Harley Benton TalkBox, Sony F-760 dynamic microphone, Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen, M-Audio Track Duo, MacBook Air M1, Logic Pro X, Kontakt 7, Mainstage, Cubasis 3 (IOS), Korg Module (IOS),

On 9/21/2023 at 12:26 PM, GovernorSilver said:

Nice Minimoog bass by David Paich.  Other parts played by the core of Toto.   Toto also released their own version with Paich on vocals but Boz and Lisa Dalbello are just too good on this version

I'm the biggest sucker for that Westcoast juiciness. Jay Graydon, Toto, David Foster, Jerry Hey...etc were on fire in the late 70's/early 80's.

• Like 3