Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Searching for funk / soul music played with Synth Bass

Wow, do I get to be the first person to mention Stevie Wonder? [Edit: nope, I see Yannis did mention a track already...] He played synth bass on a TON of his classic 70s album tracks. Boogie on Reggae Woman is probably the Legendary Mind-Blowing Example, but also Superstition, Love's in Need of Love Today, You and I, and on and on and on...

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Greg Phillinganes on Chaka Khan’s “A Night in Tunisia” & “Whatcha Gonna Do For Me”

Herbie Hancock - “Chameleon”

SOS Band - Take Your Time Do It Right

Dazz Band - Let It Whip

Al Jarreau - Boogie Down (Michael

Omartian on synths)

• Like 4

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

The Gap Band (“Early In The Morning”; You Dropped a Bomb on Me”, etc.)

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

11 hours ago, ImproKeys said:

Dear forum members,

I am searching for examples of soul / funk music where the bass is played with a synth. I really dig Rai Thistlethwayte but am also interested in "older" examples.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Besides the textbook examples from Soul/Funk masters like Bernie Worell and George Duke mentioned above, there are also tons of funky synth bass in 80's and 90's Pop. Here are some of the tunes on the top of my head, the list easily gets 10x longer once I start digging.  😄

Al Jarreau - Says
Carl Carlton - She's A Bad Mamma Jamma
Michael Jackson - P.Y.T.
Midnight Star - Midas Touch
Quincy Jones feat. Ray Charles, Chaka Khan - I'll Be Good To You
Ollie And Jerry - There's No Stoppin' Us
Break Machine - Street Dance
Fire Fox - Street People
The Jets - Crush On You
Janet Jackson - The Pleasure Principle
Alexander O'Neal - Never Knew Love Like This
Junior - Stone Lover
Bobby Brown - Every Little Step
Whitney Houston - How Will I Know
Scritti Politti - Perfect Way
Phil Collins - Sussudio
Kathy Troccoli - Everything Changes
BeBe And CeCe Winans - Addictive Love
Go West - King Of Wishful Thinking
Mariah Carey - Someday
Anastacia - Not That Kind

• Love 1

7 hours ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

Wow, do I get to be the first person to mention Stevie Wonder? [Edit: nope, I see Yannis did mention a track already...] He played synth bass on a TON of his classic 70s album tracks. Boogie on Reggae Woman is probably the Legendary Mind-Blowing Example, but also Superstition,

with you all the way on Stevie. Isn’t Superstition a real electric bass, though? 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

39 minutes ago, analogika said:

with you all the way on Stevie. Isn’t Superstition a real electric bass, though? 

It is indeed a synth bass, likely a Minimoog or ARP2600. It sounded like an actual e-bass in the record coz its highs were cut heavily in the mix.

15 hours ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

Wow, do I get to be the first person to mention Stevie Wonder? [Edit: nope, I see Yannis did mention a track already...] He played synth bass on a TON of his classic 70s album tracks. Boogie on Reggae Woman is probably the Legendary Mind-Blowing Example, but also Superstition, Love's in Need of Love Today, You and I, and on and on and on...

There are a lot of them. But Golden Lady has a special place. It is a tribute to James Jamerson and it is just over the top. Genius.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, AROIOS said:

It is indeed a synth bass, likely a Minimoog or ARP2600. It sounded like an actual e-bass in the record coz its highs were cut heavily in the mix.

I think they were using the TONTO system for all the synths on Talking Book. You can find the isolated tracks for that song floating around online pretty freely -- it's wild to hear the isolated bass and realize it is, indeed, Stevie ripping on a synth.

Also, props to @Stefan011 for calling out Golden Lady. That song is BEASTLY.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

6 hours ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

I think they were using the TONTO system for all the synths on Talking Book. You can find the isolated tracks for that song floating around online pretty freely -- it's wild to hear the isolated bass and realize it is, indeed, Stevie ripping on a synth.

Also, props to @Stefan011 for calling out Golden Lady. That song is BEASTLY.

Never heard of the TONTO system until today. It looks majestic. Thanks for the info, @SamuelBLupowitz.

image.png

• Love 1

Genesis: Duke

This album has some great sounding synth bass sounds used in a pedal point type arrangements.

EDIT: oops, realized the topic was soul/funk context and Genesis isn’t really in that category.

On 6/19/2023 at 5:01 PM, AROIOS said:

Scritti Politti - Perfect Way

The great David Frank.

Here's a classic that I'm getting ready to work up. He had some great synth bass lines.

Check this one out - great synth bass patch:

• Like 2

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Might be borderlining on the genre, but I'll throw in Toto's "Waiting For Your Love."

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

1 hour ago, justin_havu said:

Might be borderlining on the genre, but I'll throw in Toto's "Waiting For Your Love."

That one always reminds me of Fatback's "I Founding Lovin". Both have that addictive (iim-) iiim-IVmaj hook I can never get enough of. :D

• Love 1