Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

B3 plugins ... what is the current state?

Tusker

I jumped on the IOS B3X bandwagon back in December 2019.

Just got a heavy duty laptop and recently purchased an Arturia KeyLab61 with the attached goodie bag of software. This could be the start of something big…..

Kudos to Steve Allen.

• Like 2

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I have Arturia's B3. Is B3x so much better to spend the 85 euros?

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen,Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9,Osmose

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

9 minutes ago, UnderGroundGr said:

For me it’s still the best one on the market. And I see very little difference between the desktop and iOS versions. Of course it’s all subjective, I just think they’ve nailed the sound for me. 

This is as good a price I’ve seen it at. If it was my first foray into B3 it would be the one I’d buy but is it good enough to buy another one? Not sure as some of the other are also very good. 

I did have issue trying to setup my legend live to work the drawbars with the desktop version. Only one set works and it’s still not been addressed so I think IK multimedia aren’t great with support and regular updates. That maybe something to keep in mind as well?

• Thanks 1
Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

7 hours ago, UnderGroundGr said:

I’ve gigged with the IOS version for over 3 years and it’s never let me down. I also have the real deal to compare it to, and it’s thisclose. The one thing that IK removed from V1.0 to 1.1 was the Leslie simulation for IOS - they flipped the cabinet around and you just see wood, no speaker animation. They stated that an iPad didn’t have enough horsepower to display it. My mini4 worked fine until they removed it, and my 5 and 6 surely could do it. So, for 69USD (which was 30 less than I paid originally) I got my animation back. Perhaps not the best musical reason to purchase, but since I’m thinking about going to a laptop/controller setup I’m covered either way.

Its not 425 pounds, it doesn’t smell of generator oil, but damn, it nails the sound.

Jake

• Like 3

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Can anyone of the owners of B3x tell me how much licences you have if you buy it?

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen,Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9,Osmose

49 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I have it on 2 ipads from one purchase.  I don't how many more I can go but I'm guessing at least one more.

Did you know about desktop version?

I use Arturia B3 most for hard rock hammond sounds. I do not play jazz etc. Is it worth to buy B3x?

5 hours ago, UnderGroundGr said:

I use Arturia B3 most for hard rock hammond sounds. I do not play jazz etc. Is it worth to buy B3x?

I would say if your happy with Arturia, staying with it won't cause you any misery. However if you get b3x you won't go back. At least for me it's got an extra level of mojo.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

As an owner of both Arturia and Logics B3's, they are definitely both different.

I seem to be completely at odds with some other opinions here about the Logic B3; I find that it's pretty ballsy and has a lot more gain in the Leslie speaker cab model than Arturia or the Nord.  To get the Nord and Arturia really dirty you need in the case of Arturia to add a pedal or for the Nord add an amp.

The Arturia model is very noisy and I frequently need to add a gate to it.

I also used to use a Hammond XK3c (still have it, just don't gig with it anymore) and I thought it had completely different qualities than the models. Much glassier and pretty, but it just didn't get into Jon Lord territory very easily.

• Like 1

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I gave it a try and I bought it. Excellent plugin!

• Like 2

Today's the last day of the $59 sale on Waterfall. I wanted to give the demo a shot. Won't run on my Mac because I haven't upgraded to Catalina. So I figured I'd try it on my seldom-used Windows 10 machine. But unlike on the Mac where you download the installer from their web site, on a PC they send you an email link... which never came. So I went back to the Mac and downloaded the Windows version onto a flash drive, moved that drive to the PC, copied the installer to its downloads subdirectory, guessed at how to answer a couple of prompts, and it seemed to install okay. But when I ran the resulting application, I just got a white screen with a blue circle that kept spinning, with no progress indications (so I couldn't tell if it was actually doing anything). I shut it off after an hour. It might just be my usual bad luck with PCs. But since they have no real-time support (no phone or chat), that's the end of the trial for me. Maybe I'll check it out for their next half-yearly sale.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

2 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Today's the last day of the $59 sale on Waterfall. I wanted to give the demo a shot. Won't run on my Mac because I haven't upgraded to Catalina. So I figured I'd try it on my seldom-used Windows 10 machine. But unlike on the Mac where you download the installer from their web site, on a PC they send you an email link... which never came. So I went back to the Mac and downloaded the Windows version onto a flash drive, moved that drive to the PC, copied the installer to its downloads subdirectory, guessed at how to answer a couple of prompts, and it seemed to install okay. But when I ran the resulting application, I just got a white screen with a blue circle that kept spinning, with no progress indications (so I couldn't tell if it was actually doing anything). I shut it off after an hour. It might just be my usual bad luck with PCs. But since they have no real-time support (no phone or chat), that's the end of the trial for me. Maybe I'll check it out for their next half-yearly sale.

You need to install the demo through UA's Windows/Mac app. I think it's called UA Access.

2 hours ago, davinwv said:

You need to install the demo through UA's Windows/Mac app. I think it's called UA Access.

Yes, when I mentioned the installer, I was talking about the thing that installs their UA Connect program, the application I was trying to run where the blue circle kept spinning was the installed UA Connect app.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I do believe the Logic stock B3 does sound nice compared to many plugins; whoever engineered that one knew what they were doing to make it sound that good and be light on resources!

Everywhere I go, people really seem to dig the IK B3 - it's nice, authentic, sounds fairly comparable to what you will get out of a modern Hammond keyboard, ect. It was a bit overpriced on release, but they keep cutting the price; at $70 currently, the value is definitely there. It can be a little hard on the CPU but then so is my plugin (IMO, programming a realistic sounding Leslie/B3 SHOULD place demands on the CPU). GSi is still a good general purpose plugin, but IK is undercutting them at that price point. Most of the plugins out there still lag a bit when it comes to distortion - usually simple ATAN algorithms and such - so for that particular use case, I prefer my plugin and the vacuum tube simulations in there.

I also believe that there can be a slight difference between a beautiful sounding plugin played solo and something that sits nicely in a mix without a lot of effort. Not that you can't EQ or engineer one to fulfill the purpose of the other, but I think sometimes we get a little carried away with thick, beautiful, layered, detailed, wide plugins when, if you listen to many recordings, if the organ isn't the main event, then it's often sitting into the background or adding ambience. There are a lot of beautiful, detailed sounding plugins out there, but when I'm writing music, sometimes I just want something that sounds like a dirty old natural recording, and this is why I still give the Logic Organ props; to me, something like that can sound a bit more natural at times, and when I was making my plugin, that's more the kind of sound I was chasing, but to each their own.

As far as business practices go, not a big fan of most software companies these days. A long time ago I made the decision to steer-clear of DRM, subscription models, markdowns/sales and all that other nonsense; probably bad for business and my livelihood, but I think the world would be a nicer place if people charged a fair price for things and if you outright owned the things you pay for (like in the pre-internet days).

Perhaps have a look at my blog, or better yet, my B3 shootout video, where you can directly compare the sound of each organ - the Waterfall isn't in there as it wasn't released yet, but I will likely make a new video soon.

At the end of the day, these are all just different hammers that will hit the nail in slightly different ways...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Yes, when I mentioned the installer, I was talking about the thing that installs their UA Connect program, the application I was trying to run where the blue circle kept spinning was the installed UA Connect app.

It's too late now for the sale, but do you also have the iLok app on that Windows machine and either a physical iLok or iLok Cloud?

1 hour ago, davinwv said:

It's too late now for the sale, but do you also have the iLok app on that Windows machine and either a physical iLok or iLok Cloud?

Yes.

• 1 year later...

Although I personally despise the sound of Blue3, I know others love it, so many here will be overjoyed to hear that GG Audio's B3 plug-in is about to return as a rewritten-from-scratch product from Cherry Audio! I'll give the new version a listen when it comes out next week.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

54 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

VB3-II is GSI's best, not VB3m.

I know vb3-II is considered more advanced than vb3m. I don't like vb3-II. It has a weird tone I can't dial out, unless I run it in vb3m mode. So in my view vb3m is better and cheaper .

FunMachine.