Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ever do a smear on your clonewheel and sweep it off the stand?

I got an outdoor summer set coming up and I get slightly sticky hands in those conditions.  I use corn powder to slick up my hands when I'm playing guitar but I'm thinking that could accumulate on the contacts of my midi controller. Anybody got anything they put on hands or keys to slick up?

FunMachine.

My clones have always been decent boards with good heft.  Also I use powder.  I don't know if it accumulates or not.  Never had any issues.  It did, it did.  I would still have done it.  You do what you have to do.  Bubble machines were probably harder on the boards than a little bit of baby powder.  LOL

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The only keyboard where this was ever an issue has been my Modx7.  Despite the fact of being seven octaves, it's really light.  This is nice when carrying, not so nice when its windy ( had to weigh down my x stand one gig because either the keyboard was going to launch off it like a frisbee, or it was going to topple the stand) or you get excited.  

Besides weight, stand arms are sometimes a problem, especially the round ones on some x stands.  I've taken to using cork tape or cork bike handle stuff, it eliminates the sliding completely.   Velcro wouldn't work well with my Modx7 because the bottom has deep grooves along the length of the keyboard, it wouldn't grab very well.

4 hours ago, mate stubb said:

Lemon pledge on the keys - applied with a rag, not sprayed directly.

If it's good enough for Joey D, it's good enough for me.

I wonder what Lemon Pledge will do to synth keys like an arturia? 

Make them fast or turn them to goo?

FunMachine.

In answer to: Ever do a smear on your clonewheel and sweep it off the stand?

No, but I did a smear on my B3 and swept myself off the stage. Does that count?

The drum throne I was sitting on broke, and I went flying off the stage into the crowd on the dancefloor.

• Haha 1

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

24 minutes ago, Threadslayer said:

In answer to: Ever do a smear on your clonewheel and sweep it off the stand?

No, but I did a smear on my B3 and swept myself off the stage. Does that count?

The drum throne I was sitting on broke, and I went flying off the stage into the crowd on the dancefloor.

That would make a good Harpo Marx bit.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

2 hours ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Ever do a "smear" on your clonewheel. 

Is "smear" a colloquialism for "skids"?

I tried NOT to ask this but its gnawing away at me. 

Definately "sweep it off the stand".

I don't know what Rick Wakeman would call it but I mean by smear is to use the heel of your hand, or thumb or any other body part, and push down say 4 white keys and slide your hand across the keyboard making a whoosh sound.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

Crazy question.....why do they call Hammond clones clonewheels?

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

5 minutes ago, kpl1228 said:

Crazy question.....why do they call Hammond clones clonewheels?

Real vintage Hammonds have tone wheels. The clones are trying to mimic the behavior of these spinning discs. Hence, "clonewheels" came into general use to describe these instruments.

• Like 1

Moe

---

I have worked lately on a couple church organs with tone wheels. They are from late 60s-70s. I wonder if they are similar to Hammond ones, they were built in Spain with French technology

If you are curious, I have plenty of pictures of the tone wheels section. It is amazing they still work. I fixed lots of other things, like keyboard contacts, audio amplifier and such. But the heart of the organs was in good shape. Even the belt is original in both.

Jose

3 hours ago, mate stubb said:

Real vintage Hammonds have tone wheels. The clones are trying to mimic the behavior of these spinning discs. Hence, "clonewheels" came into general use to describe these instruments.

...and now I know. Thank you!

• Like 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

True story: Sitting in with a band at a bar in an Abu Dhabi hotel bar. They let me sit in and I smeared the keyboard right off the stand.

I think it was Smoke on the Water...It wasn't a clonewheel because that's back before that phrase was even invented. It was some kind of 61 key digital synth with an organ-ish type patch.

Yes...there was alcohol involved and no, I never sat in with them again.

• Wow! 1

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

used to play wurly 200a under old wooden cx3 and cx3 would slide off due to rockin’ on the wurly, not smears iirc. One very cool club owner herein town would be up there in a flash putting it back on top within a few seconds. Older, wiser octa would probably use bungee cords. (or Velcro)

At that one windy gig I was trying to work out with a bungie cord how to attach my Modx7 to the stand.  There really wasn't a great option and as I say the bottom has ridges that would make velcro not work well (plus the stand that day was an x-stand with rounded arms).  I ended up taking it down off the stand between sets.   The stand itself was weighted down with some weights the venue had right handy, or else it would topple.  30+ mph gusts aren't something you really account for too often!

Nope.

All my keyboards and stands are structurally integrated, usually with strategically placed rubber feet on the bottom of the boards that lock to the stand in different ways. I measure exact positioning then drill/tap the bottom panels to add the feet. My current setup is a USS Apex Pro, the bottom supports hold a NS3-88 that has custom 3D modelled and printed brackets that are screwed into the bottom of the nord on a 45 deg angle and sit perfectly over the Apex arms and totally lock it into place. The Kronos-61 on top has tiny rubber feet setting into the Apex's arm storage area, and larger feet that straddle the upper Apex arms. Neither board can move front-to-back or side-to-side during a show.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.