Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The One Pedal NOBODY Wants...

And here I thought this was going to be about the More Cowbell pedal.

• Haha 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

33 minutes ago, Mark Schmieder said:

And here I thought this was going to be about the More Cowbell pedal.

That's too old fashion these days  to be hip today you need the Fart pedal and soon to be released the Lil Toot.

https://thefartpedal.com/

Now those of you anti-pedal but want to still look cool then there's the Nothing pedal

Nothing Pedal.jpg

I thought it might be about harmony pedals, which I hate almost as much as tracks.  But then I realize I'm in the tiny minority when it comes to my attitude on "live" vocals...I'm a "nobody" so it works!

I love the blame shifter, I need one.

34 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I thought it might be about harmony pedals, which I hate almost as much as tracks.  But then I realize I'm in the tiny minority when it comes to my attitude on "live" vocals...I'm a "nobody" so it works!

I love the blame shifter, I need one.

I share your hatred of harmony pedals. 

The Karen Speaker Manager looks awesome. 

I have maybe one pedal and I never use it. Tech 21 Double Drive 3x MOD. It actually sounds pretty good but it's a pedal so I still dislike it. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Speaking as a right-wing whatchamacallit, I believe we also need to come up with the Tucker bias confirmation pedal -- it outputs whatever I wanted to hear, even if that's totally unrelated to the input signal.

• Like 1

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

9 hours ago, Tom Williams said:

Speaking as a right-wing whatchamacallit, I believe we also need to come up with the Tucker bias confirmation pedal -- it outputs whatever I wanted to hear, even if that's totally unrelated to the input signal.

Also, if lost or damaged, it can't be replaced.

I'm tempted to get the Karen pedal for my wife, but pretty sure she'd never speak to me again (except through lawyers).

• Like 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Reminds me of the story from the 1970s about extra 'producer consoles' installed in some of the major studios.

Allowed a band's producer to make subtle 'tweaks' to a mix, without needing to involve the main session engineer.

Wasn't actually connected to anything of course....

Probably an urban myth, but seeing as this thread includes descriptions of useless 'audio' devices.....  

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

LOL...our programming team had to build in something similar in one of our apps.  The big boss read some blog or whatnot on "no-sql databases" and now we just had to have one in the new app.  Never mind that the database was already planned and there was no use case for it.  The team found some small unimportant feature and used the no-sql database for that (Redis iirc) so that they could tell the boss that yes indeed, they had followed his wishes.

IT management can be really incredibly stupid.  I've chosen to remain a buck private despite seniority because then I won't be stuck in meetings listening to them all day long....

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

As a non-American I wasn't familiar with that Karen term until recently. Maybe it's a regional/political/sociological thing but I don't find that character only negative 😀

I think it's mostly a regional American thing.  Doesn't translate well to Europe or Asia or much of anywhere else :) 

• Like 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

As a non-American I wasn't familiar with that Karen term until recently. Maybe it's a regional/political/sociological thing but I don't find that character only negative 😀

It is a slang term. Slang doesn't tend to translate across languages or borders. 

You probably have some slang that I would not understand and vice versa. The roots of all slang terms are usually intended to be humorous and that aspect is often misunderstood as well. 

Us humans are complicated!!!! 😇

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

2 hours ago, CyberGene said:

If you work retail in the US for more than ten minutes or so, it'll start to feel VERY negative. There is a very different culture of how service workers are treated here than in Europe, both by their employers and by many customers. That's the most I'll say here lest it drift into "politics."

• Like 2

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

ButtProbe.jpg

The Metasonix TX-2 is entirely made of vacuum tubes. To be specific,
three type 4BN6 beam modulator devices. They were intended for
use in crummy TV sets as FM detectors, and were NOT meant
for audio processing applications. They SUCK. Really, really, badly.

Only METASONIX knows how to apply these strange devices to audio
processing. We know how to ream those guitar-sucking buttboys out,
real good.

The TX-2 can accept guitar, mic or line-level signals, though
it works best with line level. By utilizing the inherent
non-linearity of the 4BN6 tubes, the TX-2 offers a broad
range of distortion effects. Carefully adjusting the FIST
and REAM controls allows the user to vary the screen-grid
voltages of the first two tubes–FIST controls the first
(input) tube, REAM the second tube in the string.

This changes each tube’s gain and distortion behaviour in
a very drastic fashion. It can be adjusted from a mild
tube-ish warmth, to horrid screaming broken-amp ultra-distortion
from HELL.

Instability is inherent in a circuit having this much gain,
and the third tube provides an extra way of modulating the
distortion. Basically, it is wired as a very bad bandpass
filter. Filter center frequency is controlled with a “Vactrol”
type optical resistor, and swept continuously with a low-frequency
oscillator built into the TX-2. The sweep may be disabled by
turning down the SCREW knob or by plugging an unassigned 1/4″
plug into the CV IN jack. If the latter is done, the SCREW
knob will tune the filter manually, giving a vast range of
NAUSEATING tonal effects not obtainable with any of the existing
effect pedals on the market.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

12 hours ago, cphollis said:

I think it's mostly a regional American thing.  Doesn't translate well to Europe or Asia or much of anywhere else :) 

Especially Thailand where the refugee camp is.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I met my first Karen when I was 6 years old. My sister was about 2 years older than me. A bunch of kids were at a friend's house down the street. Everyone except my sister was jumping on our friend's bed at some point. In walked the friend's mother, Karen, who began scolding everyone for jumping on the bed. My sister promptly defended herself saying, "I didn't jump on the bed!"  Karen jabbed a finger at her and bellowed "I SAW YOU JUMPING ON THE BED!"

I am unhappy to say I have since encountered many Karens, female and male. One scolded me for using "female" saying some people find that offensive. "Offense" has become a rite of passage, who can get their "offense" banned. In many cases the one complaining is actually spreading the idea around more than anyone is feeling offended. Train the world to see things your way so you can be right about it.

23 minutes ago, o0Ampy0o said:

I am unhappy to say I have since encountered many Karens, female and male. One scolded me for using "female" saying some people find that offensive. "Offense" has become a rite of passage, who can get their "offense" banned. In many cases the one complaining is actually spreading the idea around more than anyone is feeling offended. Train the world to see things your way so you can be right about it.

Ahh, maybe I got Karen wrong. What you describe here is different and indeed the world has become a big pile of people who are not just offended by anything but would aggressively try to punish anybody for everything, many people walking on egg shells for fear of being cancelled.

I thought Karen was about complaining to the manager if you’re not happy with the service which frankly sometimes is OK to me, I mean sometimes you may want to complain about the service. I have never spoken to the manager though but when I don’t like something I would politely point it out, even in humorous way. The most recent case is an otherwise nice diner where they cleaned the tables with a rag that was apparently not cleaned well and there was this smell in the entire place and I overheard other people mentioning it too. But I didn’t act angry or sarcastic. I just told one of the waitresses that maybe they are very busy, etc, etc and that’s probably the reason why they may have not paid attention…

I also understand Karens are moms who were not happy to have their child locked down during Covid. Well, my daughter was 3 when the lock downs were enforced and she couldn’t socialize with other kids and we now have some issues but I don’t want to go into details… In retrospective the lock downs were really detrimental to kids and students IMO. 

2 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Ahh, maybe I got Karen wrong. What you describe here is different and indeed the world has become a big pile of people who are not just offended by anything but would aggressively try to punish anybody for everything, many people walking on egg shells for fear of being cancelled.

I thought Karen was about complaining to the manager if you’re not happy with the service which frankly sometimes is OK to me, I mean sometimes you may want to complain about the service. I have never spoken to the manager though but when I don’t like something I would politely point it out, even in humorous way. The most recent case is an otherwise nice diner where they cleaned the tables with a rag that was apparently not cleaned well and there was this smell in the entire place and I overheard other people mentioning it too. But I didn’t act angry or sarcastic. I just told one of the waitresses that maybe they are very busy, etc, etc and that’s probably the reason why they may have not paid attention…

I also understand Karens are moms who were not happy to have their child locked down during Covid. Well, my daughter was 3 when the lock downs were enforced and she couldn’t socialize with other kids and we now have some issues but I don’t want to go into details… In retrospective the lock downs were really detrimental to kids and students IMO. 

I did go a little off on a tangent addressing offenses in that post. I mentioned being scolded for using the word "female." That was identifying the Karen behavior. Elaborating on the part about offenses was a tangent.

Karens show up in many contexts. It isn't always at a store or restaurant or a parking lot. They get associated with these locations because they are so public and witnesses have had opportunities to capture the tirades on their cell phones.

Generally they want you to stop doing something they don't like. The doing something they don't like can include not treating them as special as they would like. They feel ineffective and powerless so they reach at things they perceive are power plays like requesting the manager to go over the head of a perceived pee-on. Anything to get you to stop doing what they don't like you doing. Walking your dog past their house? They would confront you warning that your dog had better not pee or poop on their property.

• Like 1

I wouldn't waste brain cells trying to figure out what Karen means.  It's become one of those go-to derogatory terms that people use against whatever annoys them.  The origin was more specific, but not really any better.

• Thanks 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

For those of you who may not be familiar, the "Karen" meme is typically a white, educated suburban woman sporting an aggressive hairstyle and wanting to know who is in charge.  Karens will get in your face if they think something is "wrong".  They have an aggrandized sense of self-importance, very little self-awareness, and tend to be spectacularly self-absorbed.  Not a judgment here, just a description!

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"