Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha DZR10 powered speaker

dazzjazz

Anyone using one of these wooden cabinet speakers for their keyboards?

they seem like an upgrade from the DXR10s that I currently have. 

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

not to get off-topic but one of the popular moves I've seen were alot of people, several years ago, moved to the EV ZLP12P Powered monitor.  I actually went with the ELX112P (ELX series vs. the ZLX series).  The reason I did so was that in comparison I found that the wooden speaker build of the ELX series was a warmer tone than the ZLX series which is polypropylene (like most speakers made).

To get back on track I would have to think that the new speaker made in a wooden cabinet should exhibit the same characteristics that I noticed with the ELX line, so theoretically I would think that the DZR10 is probably warmer in tone than its DXR10 predecessor (at least that would be my expectation)

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Due to impending gigs and not a lot of choice to audition every 10” speaker known to man, I bought a single DZR10 today. I was hoping to try the Space Station XL and a motion Sound products, but it’s not possible here in Sydney.  
having said that, the DZR is FANTASTIC. I can’t believe how much better it is compared to the DXR10 Mk2. It’s really night and day - the DZR is warm and full sounding, and not a hint of harshness. It has a very balanced and even tone on organ, and I’ve never heard the MAG organ sound so good. I don’t feel a need yet to try out the EQ features at all. I really think the combination of better amplifier module and the plywood cabinet make all the difference. I have a gig on Sunday and will use it there. 

I might miss having a stereo rig, or I might not. I have both a mk1 and mk2 DXR10s that have developed weird noises that is probably due to failing power supplies. I am hoping to audition my CP4 tomorrow and will report on that also. 

sure it was more expensive than a lot of other options, but still affordable for me. The weight is only slightly more than the DXRs so I’m not bothered too much by that.  Doubt I’d want to schlep the Space Station or a Motion Sound, who are both in the 28kg/49lb range, both with weird form factors. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

As soon as you mentioned 'wooden cabinet', I knew that meant....weight! 🙂

For me the DXR10 is a perfect combination of power, clarity and wieildiness. I retired mine from band use when I switched to IEM's, but still use it for Piano Lounge/Wedding Gigs. 

• Like 1

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

1 hour ago, Dave Keys said:

As soon as you mentioned 'wooden cabinet', I knew that meant....weight! 🙂

For me the DXR10 is a perfect combination of power, clarity and wieildiness. I retired mine from band use when I switched to IEM's, but still use it for Piano Lounge/Wedding Gigs. 

In the EV world the ZLX series powered 12" (Polypropeline) cabinet is 34 pounds; the ELX series powered 12" (wood) is 37 pounds.  For 3 pounds it was a no brainer for me.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

1 hour ago, dazzjazz said:

Due to impending gigs and not a lot of choice to audition every 10” speaker known to man, I bought a single DZR10 today. I was hoping to try the Space Station XL and a motion Sound products, but it’s not possible here in Sydney.  
having said that, the DZR is FANTASTIC. I can’t believe how much better it is compared to the DXR10 Mk2. It’s really night and day - the DZR is warm and full sounding, and not a hint of harshness. It has a very balanced and even tone on organ, and I’ve never heard the MAG organ sound so good. I don’t feel a need yet to try out the EQ features at all. I really think the combination of better amplifier module and the plywood cabinet make all the difference. I have a gig on Sunday and will use it there. 

I might miss having a stereo rig, or I might not. I have both a mk1 and mk2 DXR10s that have developed weird noises that is probably due to failing power supplies. I am hoping to audition my CP4 tomorrow and will report on that also. 

sure it was more expensive than a lot of other options, but still affordable for me. The weight is only slightly more than the DXRs so I’m not bothered too much by that.  Doubt I’d want to schlep the Space Station or a Motion Sound, who are both in the 28kg/49lb range, both with weird form factors. 

very cool to know , and that's just in mono , with the MAG's built in neo vent ? i have a first gen, UHL X3-2 which i modded to an HX3-5 . with a vent through an MS-610 it's not all that great . the 610 is a fine amp for my MODX , but i'm just not feeling it for a clonewheel 

Yes, using the in-built Mini Vent. 
there’s a lot less noise noticeable from the the mini vent in the DZR. It was quite noticeable in the DXR, almost annoyingly so. Not sure why Guido had to make it so authentic…

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

7 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

That's great to hear Darren ! I didn't know you had the DXR10 mk2. It's too bad they don't make a DZR8 at around 30 to 34 lbs.. I probably would've bought a pair of those.

The CP4 might be ok in mono, I certainly used mine that way many times over the years.

Yes I thought a pair of DZR8s would be just the ticket also.  
I can manage the weight of the DZR10. It’s only 3 more kilos…luckily I go to the gym twice a week!

• Like 1

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

31 minutes ago, Tusker said:

Have you had the occasion to try a piano sound through the DZR10?

My question, too. The proof would lie in the quality of the AP through the one speaker. 

Here for the gear.

Okay, I've just found a few minutes to play my CP4 through the DZR10 in glorious mono.

The speaker is a total winner. Just like my impressions with the MAG organ, the CFX piano sounds full and lush. I especially like the clarity and how much 'thud' when the key hits the keybed, which for me is an important part of the piano sound. I tried a bunch of other patches too. My own edits of the CF and Rhodes are similarly impressive, and some leftover synth patches from a long ago gig are punchy. I'm not playing the mono samples either - I'm playing the stereo ones collapsed to mono - sounds really good to me, and I've had the CP4 for years so I'm very familiar with its sound.

I can imagine that a stereo pair of these would be a totally killer rig, but most of my gigs are small bars/jazz clubs/restaurants and the stereo effect would just be for me.

Not sure what else to say about it. It's really fabulous and worth carrying the extra 3-4kg. I should have bought it years ago.

Darren

• Like 6

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

19 hours ago, dazzjazz said:

Okay, I've just found a few minutes to play my CP4 through the DZR10 in glorious mono.

The speaker is a total winner. Just like my impressions with the MAG organ, the CFX piano sounds full and lush. I especially like the clarity and how much 'thud' when the key hits the keybed, which for me is an important part of the piano sound. I tried a bunch of other patches too. My own edits of the CF and Rhodes are similarly impressive, and some leftover synth patches from a long ago gig are punchy. I'm not playing the mono samples either - I'm playing the stereo ones collapsed to mono - sounds really good to me, and I've had the CP4 for years so I'm very familiar with its sound.

I can imagine that a stereo pair of these would be a totally killer rig, but most of my gigs are small bars/jazz clubs/restaurants and the stereo effect would just be for me.

Not sure what else to say about it. It's really fabulous and worth carrying the extra 3-4kg. I should have bought it years ago.

Darren

What does your statement, “ I'm playing the stereo ones collapsed to mono” mean?  Exactly how do you do that? 

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).

I used both jack outputs into both inputs of the DZR. It’s probably the same result as just using the left/mono output of the keyboard, but a friend suggested I try it. 

• Like 2

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

While it might make not a big deal of difference (depending on the sample), it is not the same thing using the L+R than only one output.

Think of an Auto-pan stereo effect (bouncing L and R) if added as mono, you hear no effect, if you use only one input you would hear a Tremolo effect. You might get different types of phase cancellation by adding the inputs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr -G- said:

While it might make not a big deal of difference (depending on the sample), it is not the same thing using the L+R than only one output.

Think of an Auto-pan stereo effect (bouncing L and R) if added as mono, you hear no effect, if you use only one input you would hear a Tremolo effect. You might get different types of phase cancellation by adding the inputs.

Yes I was wondering about that. I should test it with both the CP4 and the MAG organ. 

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

I’ve been playing a CP4 for many years with a single speaker, with 99% acoustic piano only. Best sound for me is the default stereo grand piano taking the Right hand channel out. Still get all the upper partials from the left hand, but the left hand bass response is attenuated appropriately. 

• Like 3

@dazzjazz (and of course everyone interested in this thread)

If it had only been  for use with your MAG organ (no CP4 piano).

Is the DZR12 a better choice ? I mean, are the DZR10 lows enough for replacing a leslie (maggie,122,145...) in a medium home studio ?

And is it OK going mono if it's only for organ ?

Thank you guys.

8 hours ago, ludo said:

@dazzjazz (and of course everyone interested in this thread)

If it had only been  for use with your MAG organ (no CP4 piano).

Is the DZR12 a better choice ? I mean, are the DZR10 lows enough for replacing a leslie (maggie,122,145...) in a medium home studio ?

And is it OK going mono if it's only for organ ?

Thank you guys.

Yes, there’s more than enough bass. The bass is clear and tight. I dislike 12” speakers as they tend to be wooly sounding with the bass.

sounds great in mono!

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

Despite my move to IEMs years ago, I'm doing occasional gigs without them (sound companies where I don't trust or need IEMs, usually outdoor gigs).  Plus I'm doing at least three fill-in gigs this year where they are used to the regular guy using a speaker or amp.   I've learned not to buy cheap speakers as piano especially (as noted above) sounds awful through them.  I'll add this to my list of possible suspects though this is more than I was looking to spend (partly because I think I can get by with an 8" as I'm not playing any low end.)   RCF is a new-ish brand (to me) I added after using one provided at a gig, it sounded great whatever model it was.

On 3/13/2023 at 3:22 PM, dazzjazz said:

Yes, there’s more than enough bass. The bass is clear and tight. I dislike 12” speakers as they tend to be wooly sounding with the bass.

sounds great in mono!

definitely want to demo one of these , as soon as a local vender around here puts one on the floor ( aparently , guitar center not stocking any yamaha

P.A. speakers lately ) or maybe they're just too new ?

12 minutes ago, bill bosco said:

definitely want to demo one of these , as soon as a local vender around here puts one on the floor ( aparently , guitar center not stocking any yamaha

P.A. speakers lately ) or maybe they're just too new ?

They’re not that new actually. Think they were released two years ago?
I’m doing a piano gig today with it. Can’t wait. 

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

I place it behind me on the floor like a wedge. This might change - when I use bass pedals it might be necessary to raise it. 

2 hours ago, ziquo said:

Hi Darren,

when using a single speaker on a organ gig, how do you place it? Floor? Stool? Speaker stand?

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

7 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

Just curious - as primarily an organ player, does the leslie sim satisfy through one speaker? I would think you'd like that in stereo with speakers on both sides of you (or maybe a Spacestation?).

Yes it’s fine.

as a jazz player, as mostly use stop and fast. I only rarely use chorale for ballads but I don’t like the bass wobbling about. 

I’ve never set up my stereo rig in ‘hard stereo’, ie one speaker to my left, one to my right. That’s unnatural- to me a Leslie isn’t so much stereo as being 3-dimensional. Most of the time I stacked one DXR10 on top of the other. That was a good sound.

• Like 1

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.