Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leon Russell

TommyRude

Well, I'll be getting this book. Leon Russell was a musical giant; so much of what I would want my ideal musical career to be is inspired by him. I feel lucky to have caught him live a few years before he passed (so many great stories from that one ratty club show). Really looking forward to getting some more insight into who he was.

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

My mother was a huge fan and I listened to all the albums he was instrumental in from the early 70s, solo and otherwise. My favorite was the live Stranger In A Strange Land. Looking forward to the book.

My mother said Leon’s father told him “You better learn to play that piano real good because you can’t sing for shit.” No idea if it’s true, but it fits with the narrative. I dig his vocals quite a bit. His lyrics also treat different lifestyles in a real and respectful way that a lot of classic rock does not.

• Love 1

I'll have to get that book and see if he talks about my old friend and roadie for Jesse Ed Davis (JED).   JED was part of the Oklahoma crew of musicians that all migrated to L.A.   JED told some stories about Leon that were so funny.   JED also had the first telephone answering machine I had ever seen the damn thing was the size of a toaster oven, it was Leon's old answering machine.    Leon discovered the outgoing it the messages were in tape so he recording songs to be his outgoing message in the studio.   

One story about Leon was back when a bunch of them lived in this big house in the Valley I think they nicknamed it the Manson.   You see in on an old Taj Mahal album with Taj, JED, and Gary Gilmore and Chuck Blackwell sitting on the porch.   They were there one afternoon and they saw the police pulling up and someone yelled the cops are here ditch your stash!!!    So cop come in and start searching the place and the guys start wondering.... where Leon???     Cops finally leave and they start looking about for Leon they final look under his bed.   There was Leon scared clinging to his weed he wasn't going to toss his stash.  

Another story was Leon met this girl and brought her back to spend the night.   The next morning Leon had to split to do a session and left the girl there.   In the morn the girl saw what a mess Leon's room was and thought it would be nice to clean his room for him.   She looks at the bed sheet and realizes that grayish sheet was a white sheet at one time.   So she pulls the sheet off to wash it, but underneath it was another gray sheet.  She ends up pulling five gray sheets off the bed.  Leon never washed the sheets he'd just buy and new one and put it over the gray ones.   LOL

Also heard that Leon when the Bumble Boogie by B. Bumble & the Stingers was a hit on the radio Leon needing money would throw a band together and do gigs as B. Bumble and the Stingers.   Could be myth, but I could see Leon do that.   

I remember the first time I met Leon was in college and young rock guitarist and a HUGE Delaney & Bonnie fan so I knew of the Accept No Substitute album with Leon on the cover with D&B.     The college had small outdoor amphitheatre and weekly lunchtime concerts and I heard the Flying Burrito Brothers were playing so I went.   Burrito Brother sounding good then I notice a couple guys get up on the back of the stage leaning against the wall, it was Leon Russell and ???.    Set is about over so the Burrito Brother invite Leon to sit in on on guitar.    Leon on tries to walk up front and is so stoned he can't even stand up so  they sit him on an amp and he's bared able to sit and play guitar but he did play a couple tunes.   They ended the set most the crowd was heading to class and I got up on the stage with a buddy to meet Leon.   I'm awestruck getting to talk to someone I admire and he's all glassy eyed trying to look at me.  I say my band was trying to get signed and if I could talk to him some other time.   Leon says sure and writes his name and phone number on a sheet of paper and give it to me.    

A few days later I decide to call the number thinking it would be a manager of message service, no I get  this really cool answering machine with Leon singing a message song the one I mentioned above that JED had.    So I told some friend about it and we'd call Leon to hear his answering machine.     Then the best one night a bunch of us are hanging out at a guitar buddies house and he hears up mention Leon's answering machine and he wants to hear it.   So I show him the number and were all watching to see his reaction and suddenly the guy gets scared and doesn't say and thing just holds out the phone.   Leon was home and picked up the phone all we can hear Leon saying in his Oklahoma draw....  What's the matter son,  cat got your tongue say something, then hangs up.   Our friend is still in shock and the rest of are laughing asses off.   We never let out buddy live down freezing up when Leon answered.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Jim Alfredson said:

His keyboard rig was WILD. 

opened for him in 2013. Yep, he had a big white grand piano shell, with some sort of electric piano in there and a small teleprompter situation going on. (chords/lyrics) Most of the rest of the band hung out backstage and chatted with him a little. Occasionally wish I had too. 

One of my greatest influences. Loved Mad Dogs and Englishmen. Leon also composed maybe the most beautiful Carpenters’ song ever, “Superstar”. Can’t wait to read the book. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

At least he got to get back to the bright lights and better money touring with Elton at the end of his life. I know he was very much appreciative of EJ picking him up. So sad though that he was plagued with self doubt. Not uncommon I suppose in many so performers. 

His dominance in the business, from say 1969-1972 was just before my own musical awareness, but of course it was enormous. He was everywhere. So sad he was so low for so many years.

And yes, I also can hardly wait to read the book....

I had to go listen to the B&D "decoder ring" album that got the attention of Harrison and Clapton.  

"Rollicking" is right.   I think this cut is one that epitomizes Elton's attraction to Leon:

• Like 4

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I went down the Leon rabbit hole a bit the past few days, refreshing the perception I had when I was a kid.  For sure it was the piano playing, but even more was the whole package, the playing, the songs, and definitely the look / charisma.  Back then, no internet, not much on TV, so it was pictures, records, radio.  The pics - the top hat, the long flowing creole-wizard-like hair & beard and hypnotic glances.  The song that seemed to jump out back then was his version of Jumpin' Jack Flash.  The sound, his left hand driving pounding octaves.  His voice, raspy, cutting and soulful, heavy and soft too.

• Love 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

In 1961 Leon filled in on tour with Paul Revere and the Raiders when Paul Revere was drafted into the Army. At this time they had a top 40 hit with the piano instrumental "Like, Long Hair". 

Russell was also involved with The Ventures usually playing organ. He can be heard on their version of "Telstar". A few Ventures instrumentals feature a trademark organ-like sound which is actually a soprano sax played through a Leslie. It wasn't just any Leslie. It belonged to Leon Russell. Hear it on "Walk Don't Run "64".

• Like 2

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

Opened for him at the Stepehen Talkhouse after going to I don't know how many live shows since 1989 with my wife, we both enjoyed his shows...He played the old LoneStar Roadhouse's in NYC often.  I think I have seen Leon 5 times in concert including opening for him..

He was not walking and was taking ' a Rascal' scooter to and from the tour bus at the Talkhouse.... someone I knew told me he many many health issues caused my his Polio as a child, things people don't know about, I won't repeat them.

He always put on a great show.... the 1st time I saw his show was in 1974.... with a huge band at the Long Island Nassau Coliseum . 

• Love 1

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

• 1 year later...

I wanted to resurrect this thread as I just finished the Leon book. It's quite the tome, but what a worthwhile read!

I heartily recommend the book to all here. It's very well written and researched, and as such heartbreaking as well.

To say his considerable talent was sadly matched by a more-than-considerable ability to do exactly the wrong thing in business and life is an understatement...the poor guy made so many bad decisions in his life it's hard to read at times. But he did persevere, and it's amazing he lived as long as he did. Between his addictions and undiagnosed spectrum disorder and maybe even being bi-polar, it's amazing how far he went. Quite a story, quite a musician, and quite an impact he left. 

image.thumb.jpeg.15e11a496ae36beadead5c355a762e5d.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Janovitz’s book is a fascinating look into one of the more enigmatic legends of rock & roll.  Here’s another from a bit of a different angle. The last 1/3 if not half of the book is a detailed accounting of all the sessions he was involved with through the sixties …and while occasionally tedious through many of the unknown bands and artists, it is an incredible insight into a side of the business I never really knew about… and of course there are plenty of big name acts as well from Spector’s wall of sound to The Beach Boys to The Byrds to Herb Alpert etc. https://books.google.com/books/about/Superstar_in_a_Masquerade.html?id=vT86EAAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&gboemv=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Yup. Loved reading this book. Some amazing stories. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

On 3/7/2023 at 6:15 AM, Doerfler said:

I have pre ordered the book, it will be released March 14th. Really looking forward to reading it. :cool:

more than a year has gone by. I swear, I'm going to read this book. :hider:

Eventually...

• Like 1
:nopity:

Many years ago, a figure skating performer (Olympics or World Championships IIRC) used Leon's  "A Song For You" and the music completely eclipsed the skating performance.    I can't find it anywhere, but it was mind blowing.    I think they got the gold medal for their selection of music alone, irrespective of how they skated.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I opened for him in 1999 or 2000. He had a crazy rig.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

18 hours ago, Doerfler said:

more than a year has gone by. I swear, I'm going to read this book. :hider:

Eventually...

My friend Laura bought me this book as a Christmas present last year, and it is a very fascinating book. I really liked hearing the stories about Leon working with Brian Wilson on some of those vintage Beach Boys recordings.

19 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Many years ago, a figure skating performer (Olympics or World Championships IIRC) used Leon's  "A Song For You" and the music completely eclipsed the skating performance.    I can't find it anywhere, but it was mind blowing.    I think they got the gold medal for their selection of music alone, irrespective of how they skated.

He recorded it a few different times. You might check AllMusic guide to see the different versions?

And to make these even more confusing, I learned in the book he made a bunch  "merch table albums" that were never released into stores and only available at his live shows. The book was pretty honest about the fact that these were pretty bad by most measure, although some were decent. This makes it hard to research his complete discography, and like this case, find what might have been a limited-release version of certain songs. 

• Like 1