Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"best" keyboard player (from a guitarist perspective)

TommyRude

52 minutes ago, Docbop said:

Richard Tee, James Poyser, Robert Glasper, Herbie Hancock,  Chick Corea, Greg Mathisson, Larry Goldings, Spooner Oldham, and since the first date I ever went on I took the girl to go see Little Richard. 

I think OP is suggesting any player that plays on silent pianos?  🤷‍♂️ I could be way off.  

To which one might reply, this fellow is the best guitarist from a keyboard player’s point of view?  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The Silent Piano is a reasonable start, but is unnecessary since a savvy FOH engineer knows what to do…

Turn up the keys for the occasional piano intro.

Turn up the keys for the last chord on the B3 so we can hear the cool effect of the Leslie spinning down. 

Else…

Keep the keys below the noise floor.

4 hours ago, PianoMan51 said:

The Silent Piano is a reasonable start, but is unnecessary since a savvy FOH engineer knows what to do…

Turn up the keys for the occasional piano intro.

Turn up the keys for the last chord on the B3 so we can hear the cool effect of the Leslie spinning down. 

Else…

Keep the keys below the noise floor.

I wish you weren't speaking the truth but, alas, you are.

Every guitarist I know is gaga over Jordan Rudess, and I’m only mildly interested in him. Prefer his immediate predecessor. There are definitely “guitarists keyboardists” and “keyboardists keyboardists”

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I always liked organ and guitar. The old organ trios, like Jimmy Smith and the organ trio lead by Wes Montgomery. In rock, Santana and Deep Purple come to mind. 

I don’t play a lick of organ, I need to work on that! Acoustic piano is hard enough…. 
I know it could work, but I find it hard to work with a guitar in duo or other small jazz combo with a guitar. Any recommended listening for acoustic piano and guitar, any style, but l’d like to hear small ensembles, duos trios, quartets. Sorry to get off topic on this parody, but the guitar/ piano relationship has been on my mind lately. 

The way I saw it from long ago involves the guitarist in the band being sort of the central person, besides the singer. It isn't certain the musical management comes from the keyboardist but it is a good way as far as I know, and that involves making the guitar player(s) feel ok about what they do.

T

George Duke proved to be a pretty good one with Zappa, but I'll offer a guy who played with very few guitarists over his long recording career: Joe Vannelli. He created great soundscapes and had/has very unique voicings of his chords.

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin